Is there a freeware Convair R4Y / C-131 Samaritan out there?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there a freeware Convair R4Y / C-131 Samaritan out there?

Is there a freeware Convair R4Y / C-131 Samaritan out there?

From https://canavbooks.wordpress.com/aut...lberry/page/8/

Washington-based (Andrews AFB) US Marine Corps VC-131G 145962. Polished to Andrews AFB standards, it visited Toledo, Ohio on August 30, 1964 in this photo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Found this on Simviation. May not be what you want though. Scroll down to find it:

http://simviation.com//fsnd/Downloads.htm NC

Civvy version, but might be a military paint for it out there. Some of these say for FSX, but from what I understand all work in it quite well

http://www.calclassic.com/convair.htm

The VBF version is quite good.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Henry William did an excellent repaint of the Cal Classics Convair 440, to represent an R4Y. It's available at FlightSim dot com. Just search R4Y and it'll show right up.

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird686 View Post
    Henry William did an excellent repaint of the Cal Classics Convair 440, to represent an R4Y. It's available at FlightSim dot com. Just search R4Y and it'll show right up.

BB686
    His was a R4Y-1 repaint, which fits the Cal Classic CV-340. The only difference between repaints for the Cal Classic CV-340 and CV-440 are the engine nacelles. The CV-340 has two large exhaust pipes exiting at the rear of the wing, the CV-440 has a fully enclosed exhaust system. With a little cut and paste, one could copy this portion of the CV-440 engine nacelle texture into the CV-340 texture and create a R4Y paint for the CV-440.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

C-131 Samaritaiin

During 2010 Virtual Birds Factory created a nice series of Convairliners and C-131s. This is the C-131A Samaritan you're seeking. It's freeware on Flightsim.com: cv240vbfmilitary_usaf_0-25790_01.zip

It requires a VBF base pack, also on Flightsim.com: CV240VBFMILITARY_BASEPACK_010.ZIP

These Convairliners work well in FSX.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cv240VBFmilitary_usaf_Samaritain_0-25790_01.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    His was a R4Y-1 repaint, which fits the Cal Classic CV-340. The only difference between repaints for the Cal Classic CV-340 and CV-440 are the engine nacelles. The CV-340 has two large exhaust pipes exiting at the rear of the wing, the CV-440 has a fully enclosed exhaust system. With a little cut and paste, one could copy this portion of the CV-440 engine nacelle texture into the CV-340 texture and create a R4Y paint for the CV-440.
    Yep... you're right. Funny thing is that I have the 340 with this paint scheme and I fly it from time to time. I saw "R4Y" in the initial post and prematurely jumped the preverbal gun. Sorry for the confusion.

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

I Know This Is An Old Thread

I came across it looking for an R4Y to use at NAS Argentia and this came up. The flightsim links are both dead because of their system change. I tried searching over there and you CAN get the military repaints but the base pack is not there anymore. I was able to find it at Flyaway Simulation and downloaded it. I don't know how this is going to perform in Prepar3D V4.5 so we'll see what happens. I know that for my own use I can convert the model from FS2004 to P3D V4.5 and all your animations stay with it BUT you lose the VC because it is not a separate model like in FSX or P3D. We'll see what happens anyway.

No Luck!

I don't know if this will work in FSX or not but it definitely did not work in Prepar3D V4.5 it won't even acknowledge that I uploaded it. In the past I put some FSX portovers in and it acknowledged they were there but could not upload the model so no joy. Oh well. Disappointed. I guess from my info above if you are still flying FSX you may try and see if they will work and go fly at NAS Argentia or another 1960s NAS. See ya in the air.

If someone could just get ahold of this dude and see what the status of his project is, He was making a P3D4 version of the C-131 ( I hope it is still a WIP.

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/th....444738/page-2

I just posted there, and am following this. Looks like a couple years old thread.

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    If someone could just get ahold of this dude and see what the status of his project is, He was making a P3D4 version of the C-131 ( I hope it is still a WIP.

I just posted there, and am following this. Looks like a couple years old thread.
    Try Cal Classics
    ; they have FSX abd P3d models. I use one in P34.5

https://www.flightsim.com/files/file...-cv-240-ca-18/

Thereis also a bare metal psd paint kit

Quote Originally Posted by Mike71 View Post
    Try Cal Classics
    ; they have FSX abd P3d models. I use one in P34.5

https://www.flightsim.com/files/file...-cv-240-ca-18/

Thereis also a bare metal psd paint kit
    thanks Mike, I'll do that. Maybe the USN R4Y repaint will work or I can adapt it instead of starting from scratch. I only saw FS2004 over there but I'll look again.

It might be a challenge to find a decent virtual cockpit that will work with P3D4/5 series sims.

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    thanks Mike, I'll do that. Maybe the USN R4Y repaint will work or I can adapt it instead of starting from scratch. I only saw FS2004 over there but I'll look again.

It might be a challenge to find a decent virtual cockpit that will work with P3D4/5 series sims.
    I'm reworking a CalClassics CV-340 for FSX / P3d4; making good progress so far.

The Navy operated T-29s (CV-240) and R4Y-1s (CV-340). Theh had only two R4Y-2,s, mods from R4Y-1's for VIP; not much difference. I have found some pretty good pictures for reference.

I have added in a rear cargo door, eliminated 4 windows on the left side (non-operating door).--There is good Ken Mitchell VC cockpit available, I use it in P3D4.5. Will send reference links soon

Will send some progress pix tomorrow.

I know about those T-29's, I originally had orders back in '75 to VT-29 at NAS Corpus but later was modded due to VT-29 being decommed, so was sent to AIMD Corpus.

A lot of orange and white TS-2F (Stoof with a little roof), and & T28's then. VT-29 still had a couple aircraft there then but were slowly phased out. Use to watch a gaggle of T-28's

flying in formation over the base there and they would peel off one at a time and land. It reminded me of Blue Angels 1.0 formation flying. If we can get a decent VC cockpit for the Convairs

that would be most awesome.

http://www.flyian.net/aircraft/pima/t29.htm

I'm reworking a CalClassics CV-340 for FSX / P3d4; making good progress so far.

The Navy operated T-29s (CV-240) and R4Y-1s (CV-340). Theh had only two R4Y-2,s, mods from R4Y-1's for VIP; not much difference. I have found some pretty good pictures for reference.

I have added in a rear cargo door, eliminated 4 windows on the left side (non-operating door).--There is good Ken Mitchell VC cockpit available, I use it in P3D4.5. Will send reference links soon

Will send some progress pix tomorrow.

Edit: I checked with that dude and he is not going any further with this project and is committing to MSFS, so, yet another Dev going to the dark side. Reclick on the link as he
    made recent comment to this project.

My in- work progress on a CalClassics mod: left side about done.
    "
    Thiswas the Chief of Naval Air Training (CNATRA) C-131F based at NAS Pensacola, named the "Heywagon" for VADM Heywood - his "flag barge" as they are known.

This will work in FSX and P3D4.5

More later.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C-131F USN (CV-340 modified).jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	329.5 KB 
ID:	91632
    Last edited by Mike71; August 27th, 2023 at 06:18.

Amost there.

Paint complete; shows nose photo shot of the "Heywagon", an extract about the cargo door and the Ken Mitchell VC cockpit.

Links to the model and VC panel a little late. Should work in FSX and up to P3D4.5

Name:	C-131F USN WIP.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	402.4 KB 
ID:	91634

This is looking awesome! Looking forward to its release.

Amost there.

Paint complete; shows nose photo shot of the "Heywagon", an extract about the cargo door and the Ken Mitchell VC cockpit.

Links to the model and VC panel a little late. Should work in FSX and up to P3D4.5

Name:	C-131F USN WIP.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	402.4 KB 
ID:	91634

This is looking awesome! Looking forward to its release.
    To get the CalClassics CV-340, go to this site page:

https://www.flightsim.com/files/file...onvair-cv-340/

If using P3D, INSTALL THIS IN FSX First using the FSX install exe file! Installing directly to P3D does not seem to work, you only get a UAL texture, no plane.

- then copy the CV-340 folder directly to your P3D aircraft directory.

Also copy the folder "340pnlKMCC" to your P3D4 aircraft directory - it is alias - referenced in the panel.cfg file. You can restructure this later by putting the panel in the CV-340 folder and renaming it; make sure you also alter the panel= line in the aircraft.cfg if you rename the desired panel folder

In either case you will have a radar-nosed CV-340 in United Airlines scheme. with Ken Mitchell's VC cockpit.

I will bundle up my C-131F textures a little later

Gauges

To get the CalClassics CV-340, go to this site page:

https://www.flightsim.com/files/file...onvair-cv-340/

If using P3D, INSTALL THIS IN FSX First using the FSX install exe file! Installing directly to P3D does not seem to work, you only get a UAL texture, no plane.

- then copy the CV-340 folder directly to your P3D aircraft directory.

Also copy the folder "340pnlKMCC" to your P3D4 aircraft directory - it is alias - referenced in the panel.cfg file. You can restructure this later by putting the panel in the CV-340 folder and renaming it; make sure you also alter the panel= line in the aircraft.cfg if you rename the desired panel folder

In either case you will have a radar-nosed CV-340 in United Airlines scheme. with Ken Mitchell's VC cockpit.

I will bundle up my C-131F textures a little later
    I installed the CV240 successfully that way but when you use their installer even though the panel is in simobjects/airplanes, you need to open up the gauges folder and copy the CV240 (probably "CV340) gauges from FSX to P3D gauges.

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    I installed the CV240 successfully that way but when you use their installer even though the panel is in simobjects/airplanes, you need to open up the gauges folder and copy the CV240 (probably "CV340) gauges from FSX to P3D gauges.
    Agree; you need to know a little about modifying / renaming in a panel folder and the aircraft.cfg file.

I made a directory in the airplane directory called "FSFSCONV" where I store a lot of panels and sounds referenced by many panels / variations. I then alias to those files in that folder. Saves a lot of confusion -

OK - I zipped my C-131F texture folder, how do I upload it (9mb)??

OK - I zipped my C-131F texture folder, how do I upload it (9mb)??
    Hi, Mike! Are you uploading to the Library or using a "dropbox" to put it here on the forum?
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Members who have read this thread: 1