RAF Wick, just sort-off happen'd

Thread: RAF Wick, just sort-off happen'd

RAF Wick, just sort-off happen'd

RAF Wick

This is a weekends work and just started out tinkering with the stock Afcad as i like to fly around this part of the world,and things just snowball'd,
    i was'nt intending a full blown scenery but thats how thing just work'd out
    You'll need the object library's from http://www.ianpsdarkcorner.co.uk/node/125
    And if your into IanP's great WW11 airfields, im guessing you'll have them installed already

A desolate and lonely posting on the far North East coast of Scotland, only a few miles south of Jon,o,grotes, but never the less an important one hosting a number of Costal Command sq's throughout the war, mainly Hudsons, Hampdens and Beauforts on mine laying and u-boat hunting duties, a least 3 were credited to Wick units
    Wick also hosted Photographic reconnaisance units which included one sortie by Pilot Officer Michael Suckling flying a Spitfire, spotting the Bismark breaking out into the Atlantic on May 21 1941, six days later she was sunk.
    A number of meteological flights were also based here for the duration.
    Wick was also raided on at least 3 occasions from Luffwaffe units based in Norway in 1940 and May and June 41, which caused considerable damage and loss of life, and included the destruction of 2 of the large "C1" hangers, which were very easy to find on the desolate coastline, ive taken some liberty and included all 4 in this scenery,

Oh and make sure you have the RAF Dallachy scenery by Oldpropfan installed as its about 30 miles or so down the coast, and use's the same objects

cheers ian

That's John O'Groats, Ian, and Wick is a splendid addition, thanks!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

I'll test it tomorrow. Thank Ian!

Cees

Didn't quite escape.
    Ian,

Need some trucks?

Yeah, the fire trucks are the wrong way round. I know. That'll serve me right for actually modelling the right way round once.

Ian.

You've been busy IanP!

Cees

Wow, im sure there's a little parking space available for that lot, must cost you a fortune in petrol , great collection

cheers ian

Thank you Ian, and thank for the nod re my Dallachy scenery. Reminded me I have a 90% complete RAF Banff on my harddrive, on vaca next week so will work on getting it done and uploaded.

Those vehicles look great, Banff will see some for sure!

Al

Didn't quite escape.
    Looks like Dallachy and Banff both used the big 40-ton open bomb stores, but I can also help out with the correct Incendiary Bomb Stores for Wick and a more "size appropriate" stores building, if you like, Ian? I just had a flutter around in a very non-period helo - a good addition to our line-up and it means I have to go back and look at the Scottish stuff I was doing as well, doesn't it? None of that was as far North as Dallachy and Wick, though. I might send you some of my AI Dave Garwood Beaufighters from Little Snoring, though - I've been wondering what to do with them!

I guess I'd better sort out a zip file of what I have and get that uploaded, hadn't I? As I'm currently in a modelling phase, I'll try and create something to better represent a component store and create my own single and twin fighter pens, too...

Right now, I'm deeply involved in trying to do Halfpenny Green (all the toilets and air raid shelters are in!), but I can divert briefly onto things of more use to others.

Cheers,

Ian P.

Please do Ian! Highly appreciated!

Cees

Sounds great Ian, the more objects to play with the better, i must admit, i did'nt have much to go on for Wick, i found an old air-ministry map from an addition of "Action Station's" ( pick'd up about 5 editions from a boot fair a few years back for a fiver,), i think i over did it on the accommodation, it really was a bleak place to be posted, they started to build officers accommodation, but the war ended so they gave up, on Google earth, there's a Tesco superstore there now.
    Intresting if your planning any airfields in that part of the world, not sure what ive got planned but there's some intresting FAA base's on Shetland and Orkney that look intresting which i may try in the future, would be very easy to retro the stock Kirkwall.

You mention'd using DG's Beaufighter as ai, hows that working?, i dont have much luck with warbird ai, im flying the old Alpha Beaufort Scrub conversion, which im enjoying, but its not really suitable, and wasn't well served with repaints either.

Good to hear there's a Banff possibly in the pipeline Al, i'll take one when its released.

cheers ian

I'm not 100% certain I have all the required libraries but there's plenty going on with as much as I have. A few statics would be nice.. will have to see what I have loafing:-)

Problem now is the locals are complaining about my low flying.. all 6 of them

ATB
    DaveB

You've got everything there Dave, it was'nt really intended to be uploaded, it was just a quick weekends work for myself but figure'd i'd share,
    some of your texture's are a bit different which is a little strange but it still seems to show ok.

cheers ian

Cheers Ian.. it will do very nicely indeed Question is.. what can we expect after the coming weekend?

ATB
    DaveB

Question is.. what can we expect after the coming weekend?
    Nothing, im off to Biggin Hill tomorrow for the air show, see how they do things in the real world

cheers ian

Didn't quite escape.
    Quote Originally Posted by ian elliot View Post
    Nothing, im off to Biggin Hill tomorrow for the air show, see how they do things in the real world

cheers ian
    They pour neatly folded £50 notes into the fuel tanks.

This components store really isn't working at the moment. My pharmaceutical-addled brain can barely cope with creating a grass bank. If you'd rather take this to PMs, e-mail (ian@mysite'surl) or Skype, let me know and I'll try and offer any vaguely useful advice that I may have and work out what my be useful to you... or, if you're happy as is, then I'll plod on with more wagons and Halfpenny Green, if I'm ever awake and in little enough pain to do so!

Anyone who ever claims that back injuries are 'just what people do to claim benefits' needs to try it for a while.

Ian P.

Members who have read this thread: 0