Blue Angels question

Thread: Blue Angels question

Blue Angels question

This past weekend, I went to the RI ANG Airshow at Quonset Point, and caught sight of something a bit unusual. Traditionally, Blue Angel #7 is the twin seater. On Saturday, Blue #4 was the twin, and there were two Blue Angel #5s. One was on the flight line and performed the routine, and the other was parked off to the side by the other display acts (Snowbirds, F-16s, etc). Blue #7 was nowhere to be seen. Has this been the same at other shows this year?

When I first saw the twin in line with the other 5, I assumed it was the replacement for the aforementioned #5 off to the side. 5 had actually been replaced with the twin at last year's show when they had some kind of engine issue during the pre-flight warmup. Seeing the #5 in line, though, left me wondering if someone had decided to pull a super-quick paintjob on the #7 bird to make her the #4, and then for some reason switched the original #4 to #5. Maybe they figured the change in the canopy shape would be less noticeable tucked into the back of the diamond?

On a side note, this show also had my first chance to see the Breitling display team, and they completely blew the Blues and Snowbirds out of the water with the crispness and innovation of their maneuvers (at least for ones seen traditionally at this airshow - maybe they'd be considered 'tame' for a European show?). I'm definitely hoping they come back next year.

for many years my family went to the big local airshows..out here they have about 5 big shows and dozens of smaller shows (which i now prefer)..the blue angels and the airforce team (cant think of the name at the moment) got stale...you can only see the same show/routine so many times before it becomes boring.since the big headliner is always last..well last few shows i went to..people,including me,left as soon as they started to taxi out...

Will try to get answer for your question next Tues., as I'll be going driving down to see them practice here in P'cola. They practice almost every Tues/Wed during season. It's free, but gotta get there early to be able to park. Tourist crowds get quite large. NC

If NC doesn't get the answer, my USN based mil VA has a member that is actually on the team (maintenance), I do not believe he is on these forums. Related, at the Heart of Texas airshow today in Waco, watching T-Bird #5 shutdown after all 6 jets were ready to taxi. Spares were located at the end of runway area and #5 was quickly transported over to jump in the back up. #4 was the family wagon including centerline tank, didn't notice during most of the maneuvers.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Had planned to get a definitive answer today, or at least amplifying information; but I didn't make it to the Blues practice. Had to go see my doc at the NAVHOSP instead. Maybe next week. NC

If I had to guess, the change-up was necessity based as the Blues fly what are essentially well used Fleet Hornets. I recall my brief stint at my old FBO when I was assigned to refuel the team during their 1990 visit to our field. Without exception, every time they flew at least one of the jets ended up being switched out with #7 after one of the primary birds suffered a problem. On this occasion, #4 (Slot) kept having landing gear and hydraulics system issues and every time that bird returned to the ramp, they put it up on jacks next to Fat Albert and began opening different panels and cycling the landing gear repeatedly as the techs worked out of their tool boxes and parts which they kept stored on Fat Albert. When looking at these birds up close with the access panels open, I was stunned to see how rough of shape they were under the gloss paint. I know when the team selects their birds from former fleet stocks, they sift through and find the best candidates they can find and they may end up going through a number of jets per year and keep backups at or near read to go condition at NPA. As hard as these birds are flown by the team, such practices are normal. There may also be a secondary reason for the Slot being a twin, I have seen much video in recent months of press rides and photographers being given greater access to flying on board during performances and practice flights and all those videos were from the Slot.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by StormILM View Post
    If I had to guess, the change-up was necessity based as the Blues fly what are essentially well used Fleet Hornets.
    Yep. In fact VMFA-143 is a reserve unit that at one point was based at NAS Atlanta when it was open. One of their reserve unit F/A-18's was commandeered by the Blue Angels as it was a relatively low time bird despite its age. The Blues in return gave the Air base a Blue Angel jet as I recall to be used on a stick. this was in the 1990's.

Looks like the theory on it being due to the age/condition of the aircraft may be spot on. Blue #5 had a leading edge flap come off during their routine in Rockford on June 6, and two weeks prior, another Blue had lost another piece in midflight during the Rochester show. Guessing that Rochester incident may be what led to the oddball numbering at the Quonset show I attended.

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/blu...-in-1709836712

Sounds like the entire F/A-18 fleet is in trouble and it's replacement, the perpetually in development boondoggle F-35, is still not cleared for operations.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SabreAce View Post
    On a side note, this show also had my first chance to see the Breitling display team, and they completely blew the Blues and Snowbirds out of the water with the crispness and innovation of their maneuvers (at least for ones seen traditionally at this airshow - maybe they'd be considered 'tame' for a European show?). I'm definitely hoping they come back next year.
    The Breitling team aren't bad, most pilots are former Patrouille de France pilots. As for European teams I would rank them behind The Red Arrows, Frecce Tricolori and Patrouille de France (In that order), and on par with the Patrouille Suisse. Another interesting new team to watch are Al-Fursan from the UAE.
    Saw the Blue Angels once, and they are very impressive to watch too. Very tight formations!
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Members who have read this thread: 0