Must read - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Must read

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumonceau View Post
    Sorry mate, that is simply not true. You will be able to run even Office 2003 on a windows 10 machine. And yes, even the dinosaur FSX will run on it.

Johan
    I've run Office 2003 on Windows 10 beta and had no problems.

Ian

I've just done a test. I've installed FS9 on the 6-7 year old laptop with Windows X on it. Installed my old enhancements (REX and the likes) and maxed everything out.

Cloud 9 Phantom over Seattle? +/- 150 FPS.

So yes, Windows X is a biotope that will even sustain dinosaurs at breakneck speeds. On a laptop for crying out loud!

I just don't get it. New operating systems can/are advancements. Hell, judging by some comments, an OS evolves, simmers don't...

I'll now pull out my FSX disks of the mothballs, iinstall that on the same laptop with enhancements like FTX global and heavy addon aircraft and will report back.

Johan

Now it pops up

Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Indeed!!

We're evolving!

Johan

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Windows 10 upgrade notes:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...specifications

The part about the floppy drive made me laugh.
    On reading the linked item I see that the 'feature deprecation' section contains the following bullet points which may affect some users who upgrade to Win 10 and who use either of the programmes/applications mentioned.

best

nio

If you have Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8 Pro with Media Center, or Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center and you install Windows 10, Windows Media Center will be removed.

• Watching DVDs requires separate playback software
    • Windows 7 desktop gadgets will be removed as part of installing Windows 10.

I should follow up my post with, I worked in and still work in IT now and so of course as any good IT professional should do, you keep up to date and stay close to that edge to make sure you are 'current' in an industry where resisting change is not an option unless you want to be over taken and irrelevant very quickly.

Cloud based systems and the industry move to service based business models is not new and is not going away.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis-A2A View Post
    Cloud based systems and the industry move to service based business models is not new and is not going away.
    tru dat....despite the protestations....

I should follow up my post with, I worked in and still work in IT now and so of course as any good IT professional should do, you keep up to date and stay close to that edge to make sure you are 'current' in an industry where resisting change is not an option unless you want to be over taken and irrelevant very quickly.

Obviously A2A doesn't only make brilliant addons, they also employ sensible people.

Cheers,

Johan

Well, Windows 10 certainly looks interesting. I still cannot figure out why I am not able to access the Windows 10 tool that would allow me to register for the upgrade to 10. My system is well within the reqs, am running Win 7 SP1, and all is up to date, and on auto update. Most frustrating. NC

I just don't get it. New operating systems can/are advancements. Hell, judging by some comments, an OS evolves, simmers don't...
    Of course not. After all, there's the risk of $50000000000 worth of add-ons not working anymore. Or, ohmahgawd, having to learn stuff anew! Or -worse- having to use Google to solve problems, who, as we all know, tracks everything you do on your PC, in your sleep or on the crapper*.

*The spam you get in your inbox day after day? Well, yeah, you micht really want to get your prostate checked out.

True dat. If it involves free, Windows-based operating systems, count me in.

Navy Chief, just go to Microsoft page on Windows 10 and reserve your copy.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/features
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Well, Windows 10 certainly looks interesting. I still cannot figure out why I am not able to access the Windows 10 tool that would allow me to register for the upgrade to 10. My system is well within the reqs, am running Win 7 SP1, and all is up to date, and on auto update. Most frustrating. NC
    Chief,

What version of Windows 7 do you have? If it is the Pro or Enterprise version, you'll have to reinstall completely.

Cheers,

Johan

Chief,

What version of Windows 7 do you have? If it is the Pro or Enterprise version, you'll have to reinstall completely.

Cheers,

Johan
    Johan, am running Win7 Ultimate. And thanks, Warhorse, I will try that link and report back. NC

Sorry mate, that is simply not true. You will be able to run even Office 2003 on a windows 10 machine. And yes, even the dinosaur FSX will run on it.

Johan
    Last I checked, Office XP won't run on Win 7. I would bet serious money that sooner or later there will be a little popup in 10 notifying the user it is time to upgrade as 'support' for early Office vers will be withdrawn.
    No, it won't be immediate...it will be phased in over time.

Part of the current MS direction is to discontinue supporting 'legacy' products...whether the customer is entirely happy with them or not. Cite the ending of XP in spite of the fact there will NEVER be more users of 8 then there ever was of XP.

10 is supposed to be the 'last MS OS' release. Anything beyond that is to be purely an 'update' not a new OS as such.

The MS industry model is changing...and 'dinosaurs' [including FSX] won't be on the protected species list.

I wouldn't be surprised that devotees to FSX will either die out too or be stuck in the stone-age with their [then] ancient Win 7 OS machines for 'play' and their wiz-bang 10 plus extra revision 12a for 'doing stuff'....

Why do I say that? Because of the user-base of critters like dosbox ... so you can still run those favourite old ones like 'Terra Nova' or 'MechWarrior 2'.....Wolfenstein....

Actually....

Has anyone checked out the ages of all of us on this site?

The dinosaurs are alive and well and living amongst us right here at 'SOH' ...

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    Navy Chief, just go to Microsoft page on Windows 10 and reserve your copy.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/features

Well, unfortunately I am no further than before. When I go to that link, there is a link near the bottom to "Reserve Windows 10", but when I go to that page, it tells me to click on the Windows Icon to Get Windows 10 in my taskbar. And it further says if I don't have the icon, to follow the directions on another page; which I have done everything, and still NO icon.

Arrrghhhh!!!! NC

UPDATE: I found this on a Microsoft Community Forum:

according to Microsoft (as I found on http://www.computerworld.com/article/2899229/microsoft-reveals-who-gets-windows-10-and-how.html ), anyone running Windows 7 RTM or Windows 8.1 RTM can not upgrade to Windows 10 using the Windows Update feature. They will have to download the .ISO once it's release, and install it manually.

So, what are Windows 7RTM and Windows 8.1RTM, you ask? RTM stands for "Release to Manufacturer," and refers to the versions that are sold to companies that produce computer systems (such as HP, Dell, Asus, Alienware, etc.).

So, if you are using a system that was purchased 'off the shelf' (or from an online retailer), there is a chance that you won't see the icon on your desktop, and that you'll have to wait until July 29, and download the .ISO file then.

My version of Windows IS a RTM, so the above makes sense. Guess I will just have to wait for July 29? NC

RTM vers are also what you get from TechNet. Mine are....and all displayed the icon just the same...

3 x 7 Ultimates... 1x Pro ...1x Home Premium...1x 8.1 Pro . Haven't booted the Vista VM yet....

If the icon doesn't show on an OEM Laptop it's probably because all the pre-loaded crapware is choking the poor thing...

I had bought my version new from Amazon online when I (along with a knowledgeable friend) built my PC desktop system five years ago. NC

I haven't got the icon yet and I bought my W7 Ultimate from those discount people at er, Microsoft Instant Update. And will my favourite word processor run on WX? It's Word for Windows 2.0. I just can't live without Sidekick 95 either. Now someone tells me FS 4.0 won't run either or it'll need a new SoundBlaster driver. It's all getting too much for me, gotta get answers right now or lie in a darkened room for a month.

You can help. Please send your unwanted WX updates to this poor soul. Thank you.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    So, if you are using a system that was purchased 'off the shelf' (or from an online retailer), there is a chance that you won't see the icon on your desktop, and that you'll have to wait until July 29, and download the .ISO file then.
    ^^^This!

I would much rather download the ISO file and burn it to CD/DVD so that I have it in hand should a fresh install be necessary for any reason. Not only that, but this was I can do the installation at a time of my choice and convenience.
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised that devotees to FSX will either die out too or be stuck in the stone-age with their [then] ancient Win 7 OS machines for 'play' and their wiz-bang 10 plus extra revision 12a for 'doing stuff'....
    It's either WINE on Linux or Dovetail's stuff then.

Has anyone checked out the ages of all of us on this site?

The dinosaurs are alive and well and living amongst us right here at 'SOH' ...
    TBH, I do feel like an early mammal among flightsimmers more often than not.

Anyway, is Windows 10 going to be an End-Cretaceous extinction event?

Coming right up, after this rerun of Jurassic Park! [Cut to flightsimmung convention]

- Edit: G'damn, stuck on Wikipedia's articles about Earth's geological history.

MS could have a couple of reasons to offer Windows 10 for free:

1) to persuade people to become legitimate users;
    2) it only wants to support one version of Windows, saving them millions in heving to supporting older operating systems;
    3) to tie their users to other MS-products (cloud-based or not)

One thing should be blatantly obvious: they're not doing this out of charity.
    TFZ-034
    "I fought the law and the law won ..."

There may be a reason some users haven't got this thingy on the taskbar: their cranky old grids don't support all the features WX needs to run. The GWX folder is there on my system, but mine doesn't VT-x or VT-D or GBH or summat so WinX is out for me, apparently. So this rig will stick with creaky, arthritic, cranky old W7 ( it's so last year...) and let the fashionistas go their own way. (chuckle, chuckle)
    Tom

One of the perks of working in IT: I'll get the iso's at work! Beauty of this is that I'll be able to do a clean install!

Johan

One of the perks of working in IT: I'll get the iso's at work! Beauty of this is that I'll be able to do a clean install!

Johan
    I'm in full agreement as every year or so I wipe out the main drive and do a clean install on C: drive, sort of spring cleaning and been doing so since the days of DOS, it's a good days work but well worth it. For the Win X beta I downloaded the ISO on my main system (Win 7 pro 64, don't have the icon showing) then burned to DVD and installed on my laptop running (Win 7 home ed. 64 which didn't have the icon). I'll do the same again on the 29th.

I hope my copy of Silent Hunter III will work on Win X because it didn't when I went to Win 7.

Members who have read this thread: 4