Must read - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Must read

worked in IT all my life the worst you can do is have your system not updated and then call foul when things go wrong. All updated here, all running fine always has been.

And windows wants to collect data so it can give me a better service/options when I upgrade, why on earth would I be annoyed at this?

My tin foil hat is at the ready

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    Ah well, in the end a lot of people will directly switch the Windows10 (I expect the vast majority of Windows 8 users to switch instantly), and some will stay with Win7 as long as they can, no matter what.
    Some will stay with Win7 because they are not interested in the new Win10 features or benefits.
    Some will stay with Win7 because they don't have the will/courage to reinstall everything. These ones will switch when they'll change their hardware.
    Some will stay with Win7 just because they have an old computer that is not DX12 ready anyways. After all, until not so long ago, some simmers were still using WinXP, right ? And then, after 5-6 years, when their outdated computers won't be able to run any of the newest stuff and will die because of toasted video card or motherboard, they will finally switch to the latest Windows version of that time...
    The story is always the same.
    I couldn't agree with you more. It's a small wonder that some people even operate PC's at all...

It`s allways good to have some experts here.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by big-mike View Post
    It`s allways good to have some experts here.
    Mike
    LOL Mike, that picture in your signature is brilliant!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis-A2A View Post
    worked in IT all my life the worst you can do is have your system not updated and then call foul when things go wrong. All updated here, all running fine always has been.

And windows wants to collect data so it can give me a better service/options when I upgrade, why on earth would I be annoyed at this?

I'm running several machines....as well as VMs to check system compatibilities for GUI software ....and ALL are updated...and all have auto-install disabled [now].
    The one thing I DO NOT blindly update is my GPU driver, not without waiting for early-adopter negative fallout. In the bad old days a new NVidia driver was more Detonator in fact than just name. These days it's a lot better.

"Why on earth would I be annoyed at this?"

You're driving down the road in your nicely running [insert typical English car here] and your in-dash multi-function GPS display pops up a message...."upgrade to the new [insert typical English car here] coming soon".
    It's called unsolicited advertising....aka spam.

I IP-ban people from our 6.5 million registered user sites every day of the week for posting spam.

Most recent was last night...'timing pulleys from Ahmedabad...'

I keep 'up to speed' regarding OS revisions/updates/replacements...it's par of the course when you skin the GUI itself. I don't need MS to 'hold my hand' - certainly not without politely asking first....

Re big-mike's pic....that's what happens when you're running low on ram in FSX.....

Or designed a horse by committee...and ended up with a camel...

All updated here, all running fine always has been.
    Ditto. this.

Better I dont make comment regarding the link in the OP

Hey Lewis --

So have I, about 33 years worth anyhow. I don't have any problems with notifications about new and improved products from Microsoft. I DON'T like it when it becomes an over and over again nuisance. I'm sure that Win10 is not subscription based, as some have suggested here. But I have a bit of an issue with a "free" Windows OS.... there's gotta be a catch.

In summary, I'll be the one, not Microsoft, who chooses when to get Win10. It'll probably involve building yet another PC that will handle it. And it WON'T be a freebie... it'll be the real, tried and tested deal. Service packs can come later.

"Nothing in life is free... free of any strings attached, anyway".

OK, rant over... just my 2 bits.

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Blog Entries
    Well I clicked the icon and pre ordered Windows 10 and I got an e-mail the following day that told me that I'd be notified and it would be my choice as to when I installed it.

I have tried the beta version about a month ago (I was between computers) and it seems ok to me but I never tried any flight simulators on it. Start up etc was very fast. If you don't like it you can always do a re-install of Windows 7, it's not that big a deal.

Ian

And Google, Facebook, et al also want to collect all the info about you they can so as to improve your quality of life too. So I guess it's ok that corporations snoop around in my computer and follow me everywhere I go in the WWW. It's just me being silly about others minding their own damned business.

It's not about tin foil hats: It's about motive and methodology.

If you want to enter my computer, the least you could do is have the courtesy to ask. One of the things M$oft is doing with 10 is doing away with the ability of the user to limit how updates will occur. No longer will the Home version allow me to tell them to inform me when an update is ready so I, repeat I, can decide when and if to download it. Given the track record of updates proclivity to screw up this and that (oops) that is just plain scary. One has to wonder why they think that is a good idea. Pro and Enterprise users will continue to have the options currently available to all. Hmmm.

Members +
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird686 View Post
    Hey Lewis --

So have I, about 33 years worth anyhow. I don't have any problems with notifications about new and improved products from Microsoft. I DON'T like it when it becomes an over and over again nuisance. I'm sure that Win10 is not subscription based, as some have suggested here. But I have a bit of an issue with a "free" Windows OS.... there's gotta be a catch.

In summary, I'll be the one, not Microsoft, who chooses when to get Win10. It'll probably involve building yet another PC that will handle it. And it WON'T be a freebie... it'll be the real, tried and tested deal. Service packs can come later.

"Nothing in life is free... free of any strings attached, anyway".

OK, rant over... just my 2 bits.

BB686

Windows 10 NOT subscription based, & there will not be any Service Packs. Only continual updates, always for free, as they always have been.

Well, Maybe I'm of the track, but I think it's a good business plan for Microsoft to release Windows 10 as an update for those that want to update to it!!
    You can always switch 'UPDATES' off or change the options in 'Settings', thus it's your choice if you want to update or not.
    By releasing Windows 10 as an update, Microsoft saves a lot on world-wide distribution & inventory, as, I'm sure, the vast majority of us out there that will update out there are running Windows 7 or 8, so, we can, at our leisure & IF we choose, on the 29th July & for 12 months afterwards, update on-line for free.

However, for those that do not want to go that route, do not qualify, including Windows XP users, you will be able to buy the software, for example:

"While Microsoft is offering free Windows 10 upgrades to some customers, those who do not qualify or don’t redeem their upgrades in time will have to pay for the new operating system.

According to Forbes and Cnet, Microsoft will sell Windows 10 for $119, and Windows 10 Pro for $199. An upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 10 Pro will cost $99.

US Dollar prices exclude taxes, such as VAT.
    These are the same prices Microsoft is charging for Windows 8.1 today, suggesting that the current pricing for Windows 8.1 will apply to Windows 10."

Members +
    Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    And so it goes...
    Wanna share the popcorn?

Members +
    BTW, I'm still not sure as to why we can reserve the update if we (those that want it) are going to get it anyway on the 29th July, depending on our UPDATE settings.

Quote Originally Posted by zswobbie1 View Post
    BTW, I'm still not sure as to why we can reserve the update if we (those that want it) are going to get it anyway on the 29th July, depending on our UPDATE settings.
    Sheeple need to be herded. ...

Yes, there will be some seriously 'entertaining' issues if MS went all subscription-based WITH THE OS .... but cleverly they have an 'in'.

What's this Office 365 thing again?

Is your cute little icon in your systray going to hold your hand with a tear in its eye when it tells you are 'required' to move to Office 365 as that will be the only supported office suite/version......?

In the real world it IS going to be either that or genuinely invasive/intrusive AND profitable Facebook model of sell your 'identity' for the commercial advertising 'buck'.
    Oh....I also choose NOT to indulge in Facebook....AND believe twittering is well named...it's for twits....

....and popcorn tends to be eaten by people who really shouldn't ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    Sheeple need to be herded. ...

Yes, there will be some seriously 'entertaining' issues if MS went all subscription-based WITH THE OS .... but cleverly they have an 'in'.

What's this Office 365 thing again?

Is your cute little icon in your systray going to hold your hand with a tear in its eye when it tells you are 'required' to move to Office 365 as that will be the only supported office suite/version......?

In the real world it IS going to be either that or genuinely invasive/intrusive AND profitable Facebook model of sell your 'identity' for the commercial advertising 'buck'.
    Oh....I also choose NOT to indulge in Facebook....AND believe twittering is well named...it's for twits....

....and popcorn tends to be eaten by people who really shouldn't ...
    Soo...tell me again why you aren't using 100% open source? You seem to hate Option A a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by henrystreet View Post
    Soo...tell me again why you aren't using 100% open source? You seem to hate Option A a lot.
    Because I'm a long-time TechNet user who was already subscription-based when it came to OS usage.
    That was my choice [work related].... but I fail to see the likelihood of Joe Public wildly/lovingly embracing the 'rental' model on anything/everything coming henceforth from Microsoft.

Balmer and co have demonstrated their sheer ineptitude with their Win 8 release [and 8.1]. Stardock's generous profit from dissatisfied Win 8 users is clear testament to that. 8-figure numbers of dissatisfied users.

A desktop OS [work environment] that actively inhibited the user just for the sake of trying to be compatible cross-platform probably looked like a good idea on a drunken Friday night at the pub.
    But it wasn't on Monday morning in the cold hard light of day with the remnants of a hangover....

Because I'm a long-time TechNet user who was already subscription-based when it came to OS usage.
    That was my choice [work related].... but I fail to see the likelihood of Joe Public wildly/lovingly embracing the 'rental' model on anything/everything coming henceforth from Microsoft.

Balmer and co have demonstrated their sheer ineptitude with their Win 8 release [and 8.1]. Stardock's generous profit from dissatisfied Win 8 users is clear testament to that. 8-figure numbers of dissatisfied users.

A desktop OS [work environment] that actively inhibited the user just for the sake of trying to be compatible cross-platform probably looked like a good idea on a drunken Friday night at the pub.
    But it wasn't on Monday morning in the cold hard light of day with the remnants of a hangover....
    I'm still a little confused about the intensity and (apparent) anger in your comments. You work for, make your living from, a company you openly despise?

BTW my experience with users in general is that they will run the operating system (and pay for it) that has the applications they use. The best favor Microsoft did for you and me is making the operating system backward compatible with FSX.
    Last edited by henrystreet; June 4th, 2015 at 06:46. Reason: more comment

Non the less, and staying on topic..... I removed the four files and got rid of the Windows 10 adware popup.......
    It's clean now..... and waiting for the next round of W10 adware updates....sigh

Cheers,
    Hank

Quote Originally Posted by henrystreet View Post
    I'm still a little confused about the intensity and (apparent) anger in your comments. You work for, make your living from, a company you openly despise?

BTW my experience with users in general is that they will run the operating system (and pay for it) that has the applications they use. The best favor Microsoft did for you and me is making the operating system backward compatible with FSX.
    Not 'despise'...just 'frustrated with'.
    They had a perfectly functioning [appealing even] OS GUI in Win 7 then whilst admittedly evolving a better kernel they managed to chuck out the baby with the bath water and you had an interface only a drug-addled mother would hug. The co I do work for has long made a comfortable living delivering GUI enhancements for the Win OS since Win95 ....before that it was for OS2. Graphically our bunch knows more about the MS shell than MS does....[we certainly care about it more, at any rate].

10 is going to be another positive step in the under-the-hood department...but appearance wise...not really.
    And don't be fooled by how quickly the win 8 [and later] desktops appear to load...it's a slight-of-hand on the part of MS to make it 'look' finished.
    If you hear 'wow win 8 boots fast' you're listening to the great unwashed...

And 'backward compatible'....only to a point we may yet still not reach. During updates to both IE10 and 11 I had my FSX CTD on start. The ONLY fix was to revert to 9.

Some months after...both 10 and 11 were released some 'other' update likely resolved this quirk...and I'm now on 11 and FSX is fine.

If and when "some fancy change" stops me running FSX....that's when I stop "some fancy change" ...

Quote Originally Posted by zswobbie1 View Post
    Wanna share the popcorn?
    No thanks. Popcorn is only for those who are staying until the credits run! I've had enough of this soap opera. After the first page, it doesn't matter where you jump in, it's all the same after that. Sad really. What could have been a helpful start sparking helpful dialog for the less informed community turned out to be a bully pulpit.

Exit, stage left!
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

"...In a world, devastated by underfunded schools and paranoid 'news' programming there is a new threat - a danger so terrifying and mysterious it can only be called....Windows 10 dun dun duunnnnnnn"

the evil Microsorft and its minions have created the most invasive, face melting, computer destroying operating system hell hath ever known!! only Jeebus can save us - if he can just create the proper work-around in time...or remind us where the delete key is...or....

tick tock people....time is running out...hair is falling out...popcorn is running out...
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    "...In a world, devastated by underfunded schools and paranoid 'news' programming there is a new threat - a danger so terrifying and mysterious it can only be called....Windows 10 dun dun duunnnnnnn"

the evil Microsorft and its minions have created the most invasive, face melting, computer destroying operating system hell hath ever known!! only Jeebus can save us - if he can just create the proper work-around in time...or remind us where the delete key is...or....

tick tock people....time is running out...hair is falling out...popcorn is running out...
    EPIC!!!

One would have thought that after Gates and Balmer left the building, that there would be some more trust, or even faith for that matter, but no...

makes you wonder about a crowd that has been using M$ flightsims for... ever???

But I have some good news for the mistrusting crowd: those of us who are lucky enough to have an Enterprise version of Windows will NOT have the free update. For them it will be a full reïnstall.

Maybe passing on $$$$ to the mammon will make them feel better.

Johan

Sorry mate, that is simply not true. You will be able to run even Office 2003 on a windows 10 machine. And yes, even the dinosaur FSX will run on it.

Johan

Members who have read this thread: 4