Prepar3D v2.4 .vs. 2.5

Thread: Prepar3D v2.4 .vs. 2.5

Hybrid View

Prepar3D v2.4 .vs. 2.5

I've had v2.5 downloaded for some time now. Still running v2.4, but wanting to uninstall and start anew.
    I hesitate to go through the motions and "step up", as I'm not sure of any benefits of doing so.

Your feedback will help me decide if the time involved to clean out/re-install is a worthy move.

If you're happy with 2.4. . .I would say stick with it. I have gone to the latest version of 2.5, but if I had it to do over again, given what I know now. . .I would stick with 2.4

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    If you're happy with 2.4. . .I would say stick with it. I have gone to the latest version of 2.5, but if I had it to do over again, given what I know now. . .I would stick with 2.4
    I'm just fresh into v2.5 and so far enjoying it . Just curious to know the downside .

I'm also sticking with the 2.4 for the moment, as I could never read any positive feedback that would be motivating enough to install it (and thus uninstalling the 2.4 completely).
    The only thing that will eventually force me to install the 2.5 is the addons, which are slowly getting converted to match the new folder structure of the 2.5 (which differs from the traditional P3D/FSX/FS9 one).

I went for the full reïnstall. It does seem to offer some improvements in elevation of terrain in some places and I prefer the way it handles shine and reflections over 2.4.

Johan

One of the notable improvements in 2.5 is tha ability to have both cloud and land shadows cast on the ground while before it could be either of the two only. However my new 970 is finding it hard to deal with both so I again only have clouds on to ease the load.

Quote Originally Posted by greenie View Post
    I'm just fresh into v2.5 and so far enjoying it . Just curious to know the downside .
    No true downside really, but I saw very little, if any improvements that just wowed me when installed. I'm sure they made some improvements and those are documented, but again, they weren't things that after installing you could look at and say. . ."That's waaaaay better than 2.4". There were also a few scenery design programs that took forever to come up to speed from 2.4 to 2.5. Also, if you have Orbx products, those are slow to improve to current P3D versions. Version 2.4 was solid, no problems, everything worked and all the design tools were current. . . .looking back, I really should have stayed there. . .there's nothing about 2.5 IMHO that makes it "over the top" better than 2.4.

I updated from v2.4 to 2.5 a week ago. The reason... I bought the Milviz P-38L which didn't seem to work in P3Dv2.4 (their web page does specify v2.5, but I didn't look too closely at the specs before buying it). After installing v2.5, the Lightning worked great, so I'm glad I updated.

Thanks for all the input, everyone. For the time being (everything works) I'll stick with v2.4. Maybe the next release/update will encourage my moving forward with them again.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    No true downside really, but I saw very little, if any improvements that just wowed me when installed. I'm sure they made some improvements and those are documented, but again, they weren't things that after installing you could look at and say. . ."That's waaaaay better than 2.4". There were also a few scenery design programs that took forever to come up to speed from 2.4 to 2.5. Also, if you have Orbx products, those are slow to improve to current P3D versions. Version 2.4 was solid, no problems, everything worked and all the design tools were current. . . .looking back, I really should have stayed there. . .there's nothing about 2.5 IMHO that makes it "over the top" better than 2.4.
    Thank you Falcon

2.5 was a disaster for me. Lots of graphic corruption, which I never had in 2.4. I'm running old drivers, but really don't want to change since everything else is running so well.

Members who have read this thread: 1