SOH RTW Practice #3
Page 1 of 12 12345678911 ... LastLast

Thread: SOH RTW Practice #3

SOH RTW Practice #3

RTWR 2009 SOH Practice #3

Welcome to the last "official" run-up to the 2009 race. :wave: This is an exercise of approximately 12,000 nm in length around Europe, N. Africa and the Med. In response to Team requests the emphasis is not on long, fast legs but shorter hops with more Baton passes.

1. THE START AND FINISH:

1.1 The exercise begins and ends at Grosetto Military Airport, Italy (LIRS).
    Start time is 0600 Z Saturday, January 31, 2009 (0000 EST Jan 31)

Rules and route outline will be posted here in 24 hours.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

One screenshot and/or terrifying narrative is requested for each leg. :typing:

23 days to go.

Rob

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

And a grand time of day it tis!

Cheers: T.

Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post
    And a grand time of day it tis!

Cheers: T.
    LOL Tom. You know how there are "certain EST/CST members" who love to fly so this gives the Euros, nightowls and pilots in swank hotels (those eastern guys are early-to-bed types) a chance to play on their own and get the run started.

The first choice (yes, there ARE decisions to be made) may come in the hours before the start, but we'll see.

“Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

P3 Rules update

RTWR 2009 SOH Practice 3

Welcome to the last "official" run-up to the 2009 race. This is an exercise of approximately 12,000 nm in length around Europe, N. Africa and the Med. In response to Team requests the emphasis is not on long, fast legs but shorter hops with more Baton passes.

1. THE START AND FINISH:

1.1 The exercise begins and ends at Grosetto Military Airport, Italy (LIRS).
    Start time is 0601 Z Saturday, January 31, 2009 (0001 EST Jan 31)

2. THE AIRCRAFT:

2.1 All normal RTW aircraft and helicopters may be used (no jets, no turboprops of more than 2 engines).
    2.2 In addition 2008 cabin-class aircraft may be used.
    2.3 Default aircraft are not required but are granted a bonus as noted (4.7) below.
    2.4 Pilots flying the RTWR for the first time must fly only default aircraft.

3. THE ROUTE:

3.1 Mandatory Airports:
    From the start point at LIRS, fly first to one of the following:
    Tallinn (EETN) 1120.7nm; Al-Massira (GMAD) 1232.2nm; Sinop (LTCM) 1060.8nm; Inisheer (EIIR) 1026.8nm or Aozou (Z19X) 1251.5nm.

3.2 From whichever "first" point is selected fly to the other points of the "Star" as depicted on the attached graphic along the general route shown until returning to the "first" point, then return to LIRS.
    (Example: LIRS to EETN to GMAD to LTCM to EIIR to Z19X to EETN to LIRS)

3.3 The route may be flown in either direction from the "first" point at the Team's discretion.

3.4 Additional requirements:
    A landing/take-off must be made at an airport within 50 nm of each of the crossing points of the route (F1-F5 on the map). Baton pilot for each leg (with Team help) is responsible for selecting a suitable airport. Allowable airports are shown on the attached graphic for each point.

3.5 Maximum Leg Length is 375 nm. Any distance over 375nm makes the leg invalid and requires a refly of the leg.

3.6 One legs must result in a water landing/departure. Minimum 75 miles inbound and outbound. Amphibs are allowed of course ldg & Departure may be split over two legs (one in, one out)

3.7 One leg must be flown in a helicopter - minimum 40 miles (see 4.8 below)

Hint: Flying a shorter leg now may provide more options (more direct route, lighted strips, more airports to choose) for the next leg.

4. TIMES, PENALTIES AND BONUSES:
    As this is not an emulation of the RTW Race scoring, Total Elapsed Time will not be calculated.

4.1 "Real time" must be set and used - ie legs must be flown with clock set to the local actual time of the location you are flying per the RTWR rules

4.2 Absolute Time limit for all legs is 1+30 (90 minutes)

4.3 Forum Baton Post times (start to finish of each leg) will be recorded and compared to the "baton time" shown in the Duenna Report (eg. I have the baton post at 0800, Baton is Free post at 0900, =1:00. Baton time: 00:54 - Difference 0:06). Baton Free post may be a simple post in the forum but the Duenna reports must be added/posted within 30 minutes of the "Baton Free" post.

4.4 Bonus: Timely posts -
    A differential of less than 3 minutes will receive a 5 minute bonus.
    A differential of 3-5 minutes will be a net 'zero'
    Penalty: A differential of more than 5:00 will incur a 5x time penalty for each minute in excess of 5 (to the nearest minute) -eg. post times= 1+00, Duenna time= 0+54, diff. of 6 min = 5 minute penalty (one minute overtime). Pilots incurring this penalty (without good explanation) are expected to buy beverages for the Team.

4.5 Any Invalid Duenna or crash without a wingman transfer requires the leg to be reflown (no 'crash delay' will be assessed)

4.6 A Wingman transfer adds a 30 minute penalty and total time is calculated from original Baton post to wingman's Baton Free post. (90 minute time limit applies to total)

4.7 Bonus: Use of a default aircraft will receive a bonus of 10 minutes for each 50 miles flown in a leg. (maximum bonus 60 minutes)

4.8 Bonus: (at least one leg must be flown in a...) helicopter. 10 minute bonus for each 50 nm flown in the leg. More than one helicopter leg is allowed - max. bonus 30 minutes

I'm not sure I follow the logic behind 2.4. We're trying to encourage participation, after all...
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    I'm not sure I follow the logic behind 2.4. We're trying to encourage participation, after all...

-John-

I think I only flew defaults in the last practice......

T.

Make the practice easier to cope with for newbs like me?

It is less of a problem with fewer aircaft to choose from.

Met for Rome (closest I could find) tomorrow (UK Met Office).

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/...eforecast.html

This might be of interest too.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/..._pressure.html

The Italian met office was too much for me.
    All modern aircraft have four dimensions: Length, Width, Height and Polotics. The TSR.2 simply got the first three right

Quote Originally Posted by Firebar View Post
    QUITE interesting! (as you will see)

Rob

Rules post above edited to include route map and other data

Try to avoid southern England for the next few days.

My local forecast is:

Sat - Sunny Intervals (probably optimistic) - Max 5C - ESE @ 22mph
    Sun - Sunny - Max 0C - ENE @ 23mph
    Mon/Tues/Wed - Snow.....

(From BBC Weather)

Severe Weather Warnings are in place for N. Ireland (Fri/Sat) possibles for Mon/Tues for all UK. This presumably extends someway into France.

This goes for much of England, so if doing the Star to Ireland watch out for icing and high winds.

A suggestion if I may give one is to sign up to the UK Met office Avation Weather service (its free for basic). This provides Spot Winds for both UK and Europe. Plus forecasts etc.

Goodnight All
    All modern aircraft have four dimensions: Length, Width, Height and Polotics. The TSR.2 simply got the first three right

Quote Originally Posted by jkcook28 View Post
    Does this mean I have to fly the Jenny for the whole race?
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    Does this mean I have to fly the Jenny for the whole race?
    :caked:...
    -John-

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Just to kick things off I have baton LIRS - LIRQ in default Cessna 172

Cheers
    Pat

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Weather @ LIRQ.

Cloudy, Base @ approx 3,500ft. Winds variable (i've seen it swing 360 degrees) although currently at 065 @ 5kts. Temp approx 48F. Vis poor, can see airport from approx 5 miles

Baton safe at LIRQ --- or is it??

Text file says Validated but no map other than the one here.

Text file says errors: Looks like FSX ... IT IS FSX!! Don't have FS9 installed at the moment.

Cheers
    Pat

EDIT: Not sure if this is legit as I cannot find where the Duenna put the screenshot of the map and flight details.

Pat

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Quote Originally Posted by Firebar View Post
    Weather @ LIRQ.

Cloudy, Base @ approx 3,500ft. Winds variable (i've seen it swing 360 degrees) although currently at 065 @ 5kts. Temp approx 48F. Vis poor, can see airport from approx 5 miles
    Actually the FSX Real Weather is slightly different. I had clouds with a base about 2500' but could see the runway from about 8 miles out. I have the turbulence disable as eccomended but it was still a rather bumpy ride. Had to fight the controls at times.

Next time I will be using AFX for my weather.

Cheers
    Pat

Cheers
    Pat

Try looking at "E:\FS Stuff\RTW-Duenna\OUTPUT\2009-01-31\FlightLog_20-54-26.JPG"

Its a short one I have to go to the opticians....

I have Baton LIRQ - LIPE Default Cessna 182

No such file "FlightLog_20-54-26.JPG" in that folder. Maybe it is something to d with the Duenna and FSX.

EDIT: Have had a long day and have Fire Service at 0800 in the morning time. Will sort things out after that

Cheers
    Pat

Cheers
    Pat

Baton Free at LIPE (I think, vis is about 20metres. I would advise a full IFR aircraft, i'm shaking)

That was a truly terrifying flight.

I took off from Florence, Barely missing the hills, then had a nice peaceful flight over the mountains to Bologna. As I crossed the last ridge I tuned to Bologna and was told the airport was IFR, I did obligingly switch and was vectored in to the ILS approach. All was fine and dandy until I hit 500 feet, where visibility totally dissapeared. I followed the ILS as well as I could and just mised a house before landing. I'm still shaking from that approach.

Thinking rationally I should have divetrted, but that was one ride I won't forget

I have the baton at LIPE - going to ETHN in a Tucano.

Flight aborted - Baton back at LIPE!!!

Here's the particulars!!!

I have baton LIPE to LOWL in Beech Baron
    Proud member of the RTW Team

I am the Wingman LIPE to LOWL in the Beech Baron
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

I'm set to go at LOWL!!