Douglas F5D-1 Skylancer (WIP) - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Douglas F5D-1 Skylancer (WIP)

Don't forget they were also planning to re-engine it with a J79. It's performance only would have become that much better as a result.

Blog Entries
    Indeed, SD.

"Out of the box " with the intended engine - it was easily the equal of the F-8 (and I'm a big fan of the F-8). Had the major production focus been the F5D, it'd be easy to imagine it having done everything the F-8 did in Vietnam, save perhaps for the photo-recce work.

Capability / complexity wise, it could easily have been a contender for some of the Mirage III and F-104 customers with some avionics downgrades, and if sufficient production volume to plateau unit costs to around the $5MM - $7MM, might have been economically viable.

dl

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post

The confluence of both this scenery and this aircraft is the "right stuff" of dreams I never imagined would come to light in FSX. Here's to some great devs who are making them come true.

dl

Hey DL,

Your patience has finally been rewarded. The Skyray paint was uploaded in 2008!

The right stuff indeed.

NickB

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Skyray Lancer.jpg  
    Norwich, a fine city.

Blog Entries
    Hey Nick - you remembered! And I was flying the F4D in FS9, no less, back then.

Yes, and though I now have my beloved F5D in the hangar, I still have that paint of yours on the ported over F4D. Since you did that as a request, I'll still keep it on that F4D model as a reminder of how privileged we are to have folks do great freeware addons/paints. So it's not going anywhere.

dl

Members who have read this thread: 3