HMS Bounty for FSX Released - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: HMS Bounty for FSX Released

[QUOTE=JimmyRFR;952199]Also, this appears to be a very handy site for any would-be sailor, kind of like skyvector, but for oceanic navigational charts: http://earthnc.com/chartviewer/
    /QUOTE]

What great find. Only problem is, it's added another tangent to go off on. I'll never get my 'aero' projects done as I'm now thinking up 'nautical' ones.

Sailing Music

Near PAKT Airport ahead on the left (See map)

This song comes to mind when I am in a sailing mood. It's called "the enchanted sea". Came out back in 1959. I remember hearing it on my 6 transistor radio back then ( I was in 9th grade).

I can sail the ship and listen to the music at the same time. Makes for interesting mood music I think.

Good one. . . .I have also been queing up one by Christopher Cross:
    https://youtu.be/7khQNR7s1Ho
    Last edited by falcon409; May 6th, 2015 at 12:51.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyRFR View Post
    Be advised, you'll need a very favorable wind to navigate out of the inner harbour, or else hire a tugboat. I hear the fine little tugboat named 'Slew' is available for cheap !
    Or wait for Release 1.1 ....

Rob

I updated the Prince Rupert Port to be a bit more featured, includes container docks, real world located lateral marks / buoys, a few more goodies here and there. Should make a pleasant destination or start for a trip on the NW Pacific coast.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...e%20Rupert.zip

Happy sailing!
    Jim Stewart

I updated the Prince Rupert Port to be a bit more featured, includes container docks, real world located lateral marks / buoys, a few more goodies here and there. Should make a pleasant destination or start for a trip on the NW Pacific coast.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...e%20Rupert.zip

Happy sailing!
    Thank you Sir! I am on it.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Additional Camera Definitions and Toggle Switches

I just uploaded a HMS Bounty Panel and Toggle Switches Icons.zip.

This package consists of six toggle icons that are added to the HMS Bounty Sail Management window to toggle on/off the new camera definitions.

The new camera definitions in the aircraft.cfg are for the port view, starboard view, top view, helmsman view and anchor view. There also is a toggle icon to return to the VC view.

There are screenshots for each view in the package

The instructions are in the Installation.txt file
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cameras (1) (Small).jpg  

Magnificent!!!!!!! Just wanted to add my gratitude for this beautiful work of art. Thank you

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hms.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by rcbarend View Post
    Or wait for Release 1.1 ....

Rob
    I just noticed this comment... that's what I get for posting in a mad rush before leaving work! I'm guessing that you fine gents are further modifying the replicas to have a bit of diesel power? That would be quite handy at times!
    Jim Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by limjack View Post
    Magnificent!!!!!!! Just wanted to add my gratitude for this beautiful work of art. Thank you

Jim
    On behalf of the team, thank you Jim, and thanks to all of you who have shown your appreciation and have taken the time to help test. It has been our pleasure.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Good one. . . .I have also been queing up one by Christopher Cross. . . .
    Try this one more time!
    <iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7khQNR7s1Ho" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="510" width="854"></iframe>

Booty! Me and my crew ran into this strange vessel just north of Copenhagen. The big metal crates on the ship's deck contained all sorts of wonderful and mysterious artifacts. There was much rejoicing, and pillaging:

Afterwards we ran back to the north harbour, where we celebrated our victory with the local lasses (and rejoiced and pillaged some more ...):

It's a good life on the seas.
    - Jens Peter "Penz" Pedersen

Torshavn, Faroe Islands. Pretty nasty weather, 36 knot winds gusting to 50, and massive rain.

Wind was from the northeast, so I got locked in irons immediately when turning into the harbour. Ah, the joys of wind propelled travel.
    - Jens Peter "Penz" Pedersen

I just noticed this comment... that's what I get for posting in a mad rush before leaving work! I'm guessing that you fine gents are further modifying the replicas to have a bit of diesel power? That would be quite handy at times!
    No engine power.
    But you'll see what I added ... Surprise ..LoL

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by familton View Post

This package consists of six toggle icons that are added to the HMS Bounty Sail Management window to toggle on/off the new camera definitions.

The new camera definitions in the aircraft.cfg are for the port view, starboard view, top view, helmsman view and anchor view. There also is a toggle icon to return to the VC view.

Hi Bob,

Very nice camera Views !!

But I do have a remark about your upload ....
    Which is more of a general comment when uploading additions to existing packages ..

Generally, it is not a good idea to include changed config files, like aircraft.cfg and panel.cfg, without:
    1. Stating for which release it is.
    2. Describe (either in a text file, or as comment in those .cfg files) what the changes are...

The following example makes this clear.
    We're about to release a V1.1 (or whatever Milton will name it), which has additions in the panel.cfg (Window00).
    And these will conflict with your panel.cfg, so if the enduser wants to use your camara addons in V1.1 too, he manually has to merge the panel.cfg 's
    Not a problem, and not difficult, provided there is a description on how to do that (ie: how to add your camera changes to an existing panel.cfg and aircraft.cfg )

I hope you see what I mean.
    As said, this is a general problem (same for other people adding stuff, like other camera's or new liveries)

Best regards,
    Rob

Hi Rob. OK. Sorry about it. I asked Milton and he said to upload it. I did not discuss with him the exact type of files. If you feel it is incorrect or not to the correct standards please have the Administrator remove it from the uploads. Bob.

It should be noted that these changes are only for Version 1. They will not necessarily work with any updated versions. My panel.cfg and aircraft.cfg can be edited and applied to any new version if the user understands how to do it. The toggle icons should work with any new version as long as the camera definitions include the same HotKeySelect lines for each of the definitions. If the Sail Management window is changed then my panel.cfg will not work. I am sorry that I did not mention this in the upload. Bob.

It should be noted that these changes are only for Version 1. They will not necessarily work with any updated versions. My panel.cfg and aircraft.cfg can be edited and applied to any new version if the user understands how to do it. The toggle icons should work with any new version as long as the camera definitions include the same HotKeySelect lines for each of the definitions. If the Sail Management window is changed then my panel.cfg will not work. I am sorry that I did not mention this in the upload. Bob.
    Hi Bob,

No problem at all with you uploading these camera defs..... The're great, and I'll certainly use them myself.
    It just the lack of description I'm worried about, when endusers want to use it in V1.1 too....
    Cause many users probably don't know how to do that.

So maybe you can add that in the upload...

As said, this is a generic problem when uploading additions to other addon's.
    Adding ready-made .cfg files makes it easy to install, but in case of conflicts with newer versions (or other people uploading additions too ) many end-users don't know what to do and mixed up things ..

Best, Rob

Sail Hawaii

Try the Honolulu PHNL water runways ... 4-22 or 8-26. Gives a nice point of departure to sail about in the Hawaiian waters, or beyond.

Thanks for a great sail simulation Milton.

Quote Originally Posted by llanning08 View Post
    Try the Honolulu PHNL water runways ... 4-22 or 8-26. Gives a nice point of departure to sail about in the Hawaiian waters, or beyond.

Thanks for a great sail simulation Milton.
    When I have a chance, I was going to create a set of simple water starts for Hawaii. I've been flying there non-stop for the few months, I might as well sail around there as well!
    Jim Stewart

It would seem that I now have found my locations for lights and buoys... Now I guess it's just a matter of seeing how many default scenery objects fit the bill, or if I really want to start modelling!
    Jimmy, first of all, thanks for tackling even a 'basic' Prince Rupert. It is a great spot with lots of potential that has been overlooked although there was an updated airport released for FS9 but without much done to the townsite and harbour.

Whether you are tending to stay with the modern world or would like to 'back-date' it, I probably can help with some resources. In one of my other worlds I'm modelling the stretch of CNR line from Terrace to PR along the Skeena River in N-Scale. There are so many interesting associations that can work with FSX - it was a major base for re-supply during the build-up for the Alaska routes during WWII; was and is a major shipping port for traffic to the Far East ( a day shorter by ship than Vancouver/Seattle) which came into play during the era of silk trains; and has always been a crucial destination for air service -Think Queen Charlotte Airlines/PWA/Canadian Pacific Cansos and later BCAir Lines Mallards (take note Milton! )

I don't know if it's still in the cards but we were planning a holiday/research trip on VIA this summer if I can find a week with reasonable fares.

As a starting point for those interested here are a couple of links:
    http://www.rupertport.com/
    Inland Air's dock-cam so you can check real-world weather http://www.inlandair.bc.ca/doc_cam.php
    Not the best 'tourist' video but it has some nice views and neat helicopter flying: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnwm..._gpn8&index=10

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by srgalahad View Post
    Jimmy, first of all, thanks for tackling even a 'basic' Prince Rupert. It is a great spot with lots of potential that has been overlooked although there was an updated airport released for FS9 but without much done to the townsite and harbour.
    Glad you liked it! I was there a few years ago, we drove Hwy 16 from Edmonton. Beautiful trip. The Skeena river is truly breathtaking. I'm a prairie boy, so any time I get to visit the ocean it makes a huge impression on me, hence it. was the first place I thought of when I thought of making a water start for my favorite ship.

It's getting further off-topic, but I've always wanted to release an upgraded airport for Rupert for FSX. I use the FTX regions, and scenery is pretty sparse for both the airport and the city. When I was developing FTXG airports I mentioned the topic of upgrading older airports for the regions (I was working on a terminal model for CYEG at the time), I got told it would be doable and could be released as part of a future upgrade, but I changed my mind on that. It's one thing to do unpaid work on things being given away for free (the FTXG freeware airports), but it's another to do unpaid work that becomes part of someone's payware product.

I'd also like to do the seaplane base and back harbour for Rupert as well. But then... it gets going and never stops!
    Jim Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by srgalahad View Post
    In one of my other worlds I'm modelling the stretch of CNR line from Terrace to PR along the Skeena River in N-Scale.
    I forgot to mention that that would be really, really neat to see!

Edit: Milton, I'm sorry for keeping on getting off of the topic of this great ship! For future releases of water starts, I think I'll start a new thread...
    Jim Stewart

I forgot to mention that that would be really, really neat to see!

Edit: Milton, I'm sorry for keeping on getting off of the topic of this great ship! For future releases of water starts, I think I'll start a new thread...
    NO problem Sir; it's all related to the fun we are having. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Lightbulb

The sounds of this one are not bad ... a challenge for the Bounty !

Members who have read this thread: 2