DH114 Heron Upgrade WIP - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: DH114 Heron Upgrade WIP

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    I'll try to cover all of your questions here.

The glass reflection is controlled by the file called Tran_T in the common texture folder. Removing the GlobalEnv_AC_Chrome file will affect the overall reflection of the aircraft skin. The skin will now fall back to the default texture folder and call the GlobalEnv_AC_Chrome from there. I can provide a modified Tran_T file to kill the interior reflections.

The 144_Wings.dds file in the common texture folder is 32 bit and requires twice the memory of the DXT5 file in the dedicated texture folders. This file can be removed, as it is not really needed. It is an artifact from the original structure that I failed to catch when I uploaded the files.

The sound file is exactly as I downloaded it. To add the flaps and gear sounds it would need to be edited. I didn't do any mods on the sound file...yet.

The common texture files that appear to be duplicates are intended to be fallbacks for people who want to do their own skins. The original aircraft has all of the common files duplicated in each skin folder. I changed the structure to use fallbacks to be more efficient.

Hope that answers your questions.

I love flying the Heron. One thing I learned right away was to calc fuel for flight duration. A loaded airplane can be a challenge, especially at high elevation airports.
    Most obliged for your response. I've simply renamed the Tran_T.dds files in the common texture folder and where located, the individual texture folders. This appears to have 'cleared things up' for me. I would certainly welcome your revised Tran_T file if it's not too much trouble, assuming this is a better solution.

I also replaced the 144_2.dds file as suggested by Roger and the ceiling now appears fine.

I'd be most interested in your or anyone else's modded sound file if ever developed.

Nice bird and outstanding effort on your part gman.

Oh, and if anyone decides to give the cockpit panel a little makeover (something a little lighter perhaps) to also elevate it to the standard now apparent with the exterior model, please feel free to do so!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzz1 View Post

Oh, and if anyone decides to give the cockpit panel a little makeover (something a little lighter perhaps) to also elevate it to the standard now apparent with the exterior model, please feel free to do so!
    I dedicated quite a few hours to the cockpit panel, LM lighting, window frames, side panels, roof panels etc. The work was very subtle, but significant. Details on the window frames including screws, bolts, shadowing and wear enhancements. I added subtle weathering, grime and use wear to the panel itself.

The 144-2 was also modified to show shading under windowsills etc. The blotches on the headliner were a result of noise texture added. Removing the 144-2 panel will remove the shading I provided for the side panels.

The cockpit work was livery and model specific, so removing or modifying the files from their current texture files will alter the appearance from what was intended.

If anyone wishes to do additional work on the cockpit they are free to do so.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    I dedicated quite a few hours to the cockpit panel, LM lighting, window frames, side panels, roof panels etc. The work was very subtle, but significant. Details on the window frames including screws, bolts, shadowing and wear enhancements. I added subtle weathering, grime and use wear to the panel itself.

The 144-2 was also modified to show shading under windowsills etc. The blotches on the headliner were a result of noise texture added. Removing the 144-2 panel will remove the shading I provided for the side panels.

The cockpit work was livery and model specific, so removing or modifying the files from their current texture files will alter the appearance from what was intended.

If anyone wishes to do additional work on the cockpit they are free to do so.
    Regret my insensitivity here. Had I understood your work on the cockpit my suggestion for further refinement would not have been made. I confess to having spent all of 5 min's with the default aircraft before installing your versions so did not really get an opportunity to compare interior that much. I somehow missed the fact that you worked to the panel also.

That said, panel looks fine the way it is, thanks again for your efforts. Unfortunate that I get that ceiling 'blockiness' prompting me to remove 144-2 and missing the extra work you've done on the shading. I've tried to determine why this is apparent. Perhaps it has something to do with the original 144-2 being DX5 and your revised version is apparently DX1?

Cambrian G-AOGO

Quote Originally Posted by Dumonceau View Post
    With your new textures and the sounds, it's a whole new model!!!
    Couldn't agree more!

This one is about to get finished and rolled out:

There's just one nasty glitch I wasn't able to get rid of by now:
    Where is the texture of this central front window frame located?
    This red brace doesn't match too well yet...

Cheers,
    Markus.
    Captain Wild Bill Kelso: War nerves? Who said war nerves?
    The Patron: I heard it on that radio there.
    [Kelso shoots the radio]
    Captain Wild Bill Kelso: Radio's wrong.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks, mate!

After lots of trial&error, I've finally found out where this central window frame takes its texture from:
    Unfortunately, this area is located at the foreward bottom fuselage, just aft of the front wheel well (marked green here for better clarity):

So in order to show the front window frame not in the red bottom colour, this lower fuselage part had to be painted white.
    This doesn't look too well seen from below:

But I think this is still better than a red window frame, doesn't it?

Cheers,
    Markus.
    [Kelso shoots the radio]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yup.. that looks cool Markus

ATB
    DaveB

Really nice Markus!
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

British Herons

Thanks, guys!

This marvellous Heron has been my trusty ride when discovering the FTX UK package from Land's End up to Sumburgh, along with her rather stiff-legged sisterships:

All three repaints should be rolled out soon...

Cheers,
    Markus.
    [Kelso shoots the radio]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'll drink to more G paints

I'm sure Scottish Airways came with the original set as we queried the colour at CBFS. Is this one a repaint using Gmans updated base paints? Forgive the impertinence but I've not seen it for a while

ATB
    DaveB

'Scottish' G-ANXB

Indeed, G-ANXB is part of the original package ("texture.BEA 70"), but the stock version bears only the BEA logo.
    The stylish 70's "scottish airways" lettering caught my eye when browsing the web for repaint templates, so I've done a complete new BEA livery from scratch with handmade letters (no appropriate font found).

Both repaints were done (but abandoned prior to release) before Gman laid his magic hands on the textures. And although neither the Channel nor the Scottish variant will show any natural metal surfaces (?), both ships will be returned to the paint shed again. I shall see if they could benefit from those massively improved textures...

Cheers,
    Markus.
    [Kelso shoots the radio]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

That's cool mate.. looking forward to them

ATB
    DaveB

Very nice work, Markus - looking forward your future efforts with Gman's templates.

Blog Entries
    These are really great skins. I've been juggling quite a few projects, but I think it's time to put the paint kit up on the site so you gentlemen can take advantage of the layers.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Channel Airways 'G-AXFH'

Quote Originally Posted by Portia911 View Post
    Very nice work, Markus - looking forward your future efforts with Gman's templates.
    Thank you!

His templates even improve painted surfaces:

(Scenery: Earth Simulation's Alderney)

Cheers,
    Markus.
    [Kelso shoots the radio]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lovely crisp lines there Markus

ATB
    DaveB

Markus,

Could you do this one?

Johan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 14073.gif  

@ DaveB:
    These "still photographs" don't show that the cheatlines received a massive stress on the alpha channel to increase their golden shine...

Quote Originally Posted by Dumonceau View Post
    Could you do this one?

That's a nice classic airliner scheme! I have to admit that Belgium is absolutely uncovered by my repaints yet - for some reasons it doesn't seem to be well represented in the Flightsim world at all...
    Time for a change, isn't it?
    I'll see what I can do about it!

Cheers,
    Markus.
    [Kelso shoots the radio]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
    @ DaveB:
    These "still photographs" don't show that the cheatlines received a massive stress on the alpha channel to increase their golden shine...

That's a nice classic airliner scheme! I have to admit that Belgium is absolutely uncovered by my repaints yet - for some reasons it doesn't seem to be well represented in the Flightsim world at all...
    Time for a change, isn't it?
    I'll see what I can do about it!

Cheers,
    Markus.
    Cheers Markus! Highly appreciated!

Johan

Members who have read this thread: 4