Airbases question

Thread: Airbases question

Airbases question

I established a PTO install based on Rhumba's Mesh to accommodate the new scenery by Jean Bomber & UncleTgt. Did this awhile ago. Can't say enough great things about it. But I've noticed something and I don't know what I may have done, or not done to cause it. The new bases for New Britain and New Ireland and Carolines show up fine in the FF and QC selection list, but in MB they simply aren't listed in the pop up airbase/operating area selection box. I can locate them by searching around with the map in MB and scrolling to the exact spot. All of X base location icons are there, so it isn't a major problem. I don't think it's an Airbase.dat problem. I just wonder if someone out there can tell me why the list of PNG-****** bases available in FF and QC isn't in the MB selection box and how to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Worthless View Post
    I established a PTO install based on Rhumba's Mesh to accommodate the new scenery by Jean Bomber & UncleTgt. Did this awhile ago. Can't say enough great things about it. But I've noticed something and I don't know what I may have done, or not done to cause it. The new bases for New Britain and New Ireland and Carolines show up fine in the FF and QC selection list, but in MB they simply aren't listed in the pop up airbase/operating area selection box. I can locate them by searching around with the map in MB and scrolling to the exact spot. All of X base location icons are there, so it isn't a major problem. I don't think it's an Airbase.dat problem. I just wonder if someone out there can tell me why the list of PNG-****** bases available in FF and QC isn't in the MB selection box and how to fix it.

Did you add them to the Airbase.dat file? other wise they need the AFD.bgl for each runway.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!

Icon22

Hiya Worthless,

Let me see if I understand what is happening. In the map view (and in the MB layout window?), all of the runway "X" icons for all of the runway/airbases, including those added with the new scenery, are present? But, even though the runway icons show up, the runway/airbase name does not show up in the MB airbase selection list? Yes?

Its been a while since I had an airbases.dat issue, but here is the deal, as I understand it. If there is a break in the runway.XX sequence none of the runway/airbases in the airbases.dat file after the break will show up in the MB airbase selection list. As to whether or not they will still show up as runway "X" icons in map view or the mission builder layout window, I don't know. Never had the opportunity to check it out.

Cheers,
    MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

I know from personal experience that if you have more than c.200 airbases in a single install, you'll run into trouble trying to get them to show up at all, whether FF, QC or MB.

The fact you can see them in FF & QC suggests that maybe you're near this limit (MB is a lot less tolerant than the game itself), or as MR suggests, something is amiss with the airbases.dat entries. Just adding the scenery will allow the bases to show in the FF & QC listings, but you need to add the airbases.dat entries to use them in Mission Builder.

Thanks to all. MR....you have described it exactly, and I expect both you and UT have solved the quandary. However I'm not sure the fix is worth the effort to correct. I have way more than 200 bases. Closer to 500, and there are several breaks where I //'d out the existing base info and added entirely new replacements with new airbases.dat addresses at the end of the list. I didn't // out the original [runway.XX] or id=XXXX, just the following lines of information.

To go back and cut and past all of that just to fix the MB listing is more than I want to do just now. I'd rather devote my spare time to enjoying flying trying out all the great new add on's you guys have supplied.

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!

Icon22

That's sounds like a good approach to me, Worthless.

However, ;^) ,perhaps sometime when you are feeling more inclined, you could create several airbases.dat files specific to areas you enjoy flying in. For instance with this current scenery, create an airbases.dat file that contains only the runway entries from the new scenery. Taken a step further it might be possible to create a series of shortcuts for MB that call up specific airbases.dat files much in the same way we create shortcuts that tell MB and CFS2 to start using area-specific cfs2.cfg files that call out area-specific GSLs. I don't know if it is possible. Heck, it might already be a happening deal and I am so out of step that I am unaware of it.

Enjoy yourself!
    MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTgt View Post
    I know from personal experience that if you have more than c.200 airbases in a single install, you'll run into trouble trying to get them to show up at all, whether FF, QC or MB.

The fact you can see them in FF & QC suggests that maybe you're near this limit (MB is a lot less tolerant than the game itself), or as MR suggests, something is amiss with the airbases.dat entries. Just adding the scenery will allow the bases to show in the FF & QC listings, but you need to add the airbases.dat entries to use them in Mission Builder.
    200??.....I have like 800 in a single installation, LOL!!! Now i understand why so many CTDs

Cheers
    Mario

Quote Originally Posted by misson View Post
    200??.....I have like 800 in a single installation, LOL!!! Now i understand why so many CTDs

Cheers
    Mario
    Take out the Euro bases. That will free up a bunch.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

Members who have read this thread: 1