If you had a free 500 bucks...

Thread: If you had a free 500 bucks...

If you had a free 500 bucks...

Bonus time was surprisingly good to me this year. Most of which will go to savings and household improvements in the real world.

However, I have carved off a wife free 500 bucks to play with. If you had this money, what would you buy with it?

I do have a late model PC, and a good Saitek HOTAS set up, so pretty well set for hardware, though a video card might be in my future and or a replacement 2nd hard drive. My FSX is on a dedicated 1TB drive but is almost full thanks to owning a lot of FTX/Orbx stuff.

any ideas?

Maybe a new video card.i currently have a GTX 670 TI.

Anthin.

Depending on the GPU you already have, I'd invest in a NV 970 (980) card. That brought me the biggest bang for the buck a few months ago, on P3D though.
    Also nice are the Saitek panels / throttles / combat rudder. Or a Track IR head tracking device...

Cheers,
    Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Blog Entries
    I'd have to agree that the video card may be worth a look. I'm running the GTX780 with very good performance but looking seriously at the 980.

With flight simulation tech advancing to the point where are looking at extremely high immersion and superior rendering, scenery design is going to become a significant factor. To really enjoy what is coming in the near future, a strong video card is a prudent investment. IMHO....
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

$500....just one item....

occulus rift. There's been some.video displaying both sides of the eye pieces and I did the crazy thing of putting my face about 2cm from my monitor and focusing hard and viola the 3D is unreal. don't try it at home folks
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

I'd buy the new set of tires I need for my car. lol. . .then whatever was left. . .I'd get new floormats and have the interior detailed. It has everything to do with Priorities!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    I'd buy the new set of tires I need for my car. lol. . .then whatever was left. . .I'd get new floormats and have the interior detailed. It has everything to do with Priorities!! lol
    LOL! As I said, my bonus was much larger and 99 percent spent on practical stuff like you mention... this bit is MINE. :-)

I think video card is where I am going though the HD thing is going to be a requirement soon. My 1TB hard drive thats dedicated to FSX is very nearly full. Going to have to get a bigger one and then figure out how to transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by ejoiner View Post
    . . . . .I think video card is where I am going though the HD thing is going to be a requirement soon. My 1TB hard drive thats dedicated to FSX is very nearly full. Going to have to get a bigger one and then figure out how to transfer.
    Yep, those sound like good ideas, especially the video card with the way they continue to improve.

A new stick and throttle!

Maybe make an offer on a CT-133 Cockpit that I was viewing for R&D.. Would make a nice yard ornament!

- Joseph
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

Quote Originally Posted by ejoiner View Post
    LOL! As I said, my bonus was much larger and 99 percent spent on practical stuff like you mention... this bit is MINE. :-)

I think video card is where I am going though the HD thing is going to be a requirement soon. My 1TB hard drive thats dedicated to FSX is very nearly full. Going to have to get a bigger one and then figure out how to transfer.
    Just a few notes from my own experiance:

- if you want to stay with a mechanical harddisk, get a SSHD. Your loading times will improve significantly, and the cost is unsignificantly higher (IMHO).
    - if you want to keep your data and structure on the new disk as it is now, clone it with Clonezilla or other clone tool and expand the partition afterwards to the full capacity.

Cheers,
    Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    $500....just one item....

occulus rift. There's been some.video displaying both sides of the eye pieces and I did the crazy thing of putting my face about 2cm from my monitor and focusing hard and viola the 3D is unreal. don't try it at home folks
    This. Totally.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roger-wilco-66 View Post
    Just a few notes from my own experiance:

- if you want to stay with a mechanical harddisk, get a SSHD. Your loading times will improve significantly, and the cost is unsignificantly higher (IMHO).
    - if you want to keep your data and structure on the new disk as it is now, clone it with Clonezilla or other clone tool and expand the partition afterwards to the full capacity.

Cheers,
    Mark
    Total Wisdom here!!!
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

I would spend half of it on my wife, and put the rest into something I could use in my hobbies - simming, models, trains.

Don

Occulus Rift, I'm trying to squeeze money from my budget to get this.
    FAA A&P, FE (TURBOJET),AMEL COMM INST DC-8 & B767/757 TYPE RATEINGS
    FCC GROL

Quote Originally Posted by Bushpounder View Post
    I would spend half of it on my wife, and put the rest into something I could use in my hobbies - simming, models, trains.

Don
    I'd spend all of it on the wife.
    Eventually it'll come back as a plus...like when you spend 7K on your next machine [like I did]...where the 'slow bit' is the GTX980...

I would invest it in some real flying time
    Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

You could get 15 or 16 ORBX/FTX sceneries! Or a nice 27" IPS display. or................. a new Apple iThing.

A new AR 15 upper in 300 black out!!!
    Marvin Carter
    No matter how hard you try, you can't baptize cats.

Or the old joke....
    I'd spend half of it on gambling, booze and sex....
    ...and the other half I'd just waste...

My dad used to say he would buy a new ass because his has a hole in it.LOL!!!
    Marvin Carter
    No matter how hard you try, you can't baptize cats.

what kind of monitor do you have...because you can get a nice one for around 500$
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

I think I will start saving up for a new video card.It will take some
    time as it is becoming very hard to live on the aged pension.

Anthin.

Members who have read this thread: 0