gunsight problem

Thread: gunsight problem

gunsight problem

Is there any way to adjust the gunsight so the tracers match up with the gunsight? Akemi's Ki-45 guns seem to be a little out of wack.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jerm
    Try this,

gunstation.0-------------1d1*40,0,0.15,2.126,-1.122,
    gunstation.1-------------1d1*30,0.166,-0.433,-0.707,-1.124,

ckissling

SOH-CM-2013
    Madison County, Iowa (3rd Corn Patch On The Left)

Adjusting Gunsights

Took this from my hoard of "... Things I Just Can't Remember w/o Notes ..."

Best
    SC

---------------------------------------------

*** How To Adjust Your Gunsight View ***

- Open the aircraft's Panel folder, then open the <panel.cfg> file within using Notepad. I'll use a Zero as an example.

Note: Upon opening if the panel.cfg reads similar to this:

[fltsim]
    alias=A6M2_Zero\panel

...change & save nothing; you must apply this fix to the master panel file ONLY [as in the example below], within the Aircraft's panel folder.

- Look for this info near the top, or add the following to the bottom of the open panel.cfg file :

[Views]
    VIEW_FORWARD_WINDOWS=%window_title_00%
    VIEW_FORWARD_DIR=2.6, 0.0, 0.0

- Increasing the value of the BLUE number will raise the bullet stream, lowering the gunsight.

- Decreasing the value of the
    BLUE number will lower the bullet stream, raising the gunsight.

Tweak and adjust until you're happy ! :wave:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "...And, When I died, They washed me out of the turret with a hose..."

Quote Originally Posted by sc7500 View Post
    Took this from my hoard of "... Things I Just Can't Remember w/o Notes ..."

Best
    SC

---------------------------------------------

*** How To Adjust Your Gunsight View ***

- Open the aircraft's Panel folder, then open the <panel.cfg> file within using Notepad. I'll use a Zero as an example.

Note: Upon opening if the panel.cfg reads similar to this:

[fltsim]
    alias=A6M2_Zero\panel

...change & save nothing; you must apply this fix to the master panel file ONLY [as in the example below], within the Aircraft's panel folder.

- Look for this info near the top, or add the following to the bottom of the open panel.cfg file :

[Views]
    VIEW_FORWARD_WINDOWS=%window_title_00%
    VIEW_FORWARD_DIR=2.6, 0.0, 0.0

- Increasing the value of the BLUE number will raise the bullet stream, lowering the gunsight.

- Decreasing the value of the BLUE number will lower the bullet stream, raising the gunsight.

Tweak and adjust until you're happy ! :wave:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    That;s the solution I was gonna recommend before my browser crashed!
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Tango_Romeo

Both methods....

...work, but you will find the latter more useful. :ernae:

TR
    Yes both will work,but the later will not solve the problem of one gun shooting higher or lower than the other. mine will! ckissling

Tango_Romeo

I labor....

...in the shadow of genius!

SOH-CM-2013

Oh You Guys....

Admit it ~ there's PLENTY of room here for diversity ! :ernae:

Speaking of which (and just to stir things up even more), here's another set of instructions I dug up from "Before The Crash"... Enjoy !

SC

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gunstation Definitions

[GUNSTATIONS]
    gunstation.0= 0, 2, 1, 0.01, 870, 4, 0.01, 1000, 2, 40, 1d1*16, 0.55, 0.25, 2.2, 0.128056, 0, 0.1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0.5

[GUNSTATIONS Defined]
    gunstation.{A}0= {B}0, {C}2, {D}1, {E}0.01, {F}870, {G}4, {H}0.01, {I}1000, {J}2, {K}40, {L}1d1*16, {M}0.55, {N}0.25, {O}2.2, {P}0.128056, {Q}0, {R}0.1, {S}0, {T}0, {U}0, {V}0, {W}0.5

A. Gunstation number: (sequential) this will be the number to associate individual guns with (note that there is no particular weapon related to any particular gunstation number. Add as many as you want).

B. Trigger type: 0=Mach Gun 1=Cannon 2=Rocket 3=Bomb

C. System association (see last number for each entry in [SYSTEMS])

D. Gun type: 1=Mach gun 2=Cannon 4=Rocket 8=Bomb

E. Rate of fire (divide rounds/second into 1) Example: 50 rounds/sec = 1/50 = .02

F. Muzzle velocity: meters/sec (zero for Rockets & Bombs)

G. Round life (seconds round is tracked by simulation)

H. Muzzle flash: MS says flashes/sec. I disagree; I think this is actually 1/(flashes/sec). Typical values are .01 to .05

I. Range that AI aircraft begin firing (Meters)

J. Sound: 0= .303/7.62mm 2= .50 3= 13mm 4= 20mm 5= 30mm (set Bomb/Rocket to zero)

K. Tracer %

L. Damage dice: Typical values: 1d1*10 for .303, 1d1*14 for .50, 1d1*24 for 20mm, Rocket 1d1*300-3000, Bomb 1d1*600-6000 (this is the projectile's destructive power)

M. Gunstation X offset (Meters)

N. Gunstation Y offset (Meters)

O. Gunstation Z offset (Meters)

P. Pitch: angle of gunstation up/down (degrees) I suggest using similar angle values from other .dps in CFS. But if you must try calculating…

The acceleration affects of gravity on objects is independent of their weight. If you disregard the aerodynamic properties of the projectile and assume it falls at the same rate as any dropped object, then you can use -4.877t2 (It is the travel time of the projectile to its target) to determine how far the bullet drops in horizontal flight.

I would guess the average speed of the projectile is somewhere between its muzzle velocity and half that. I'm not going to add the plane's airspeed since the target is probably going just as fast. So let's take a target 1000 meters out, muzzle velocity of 870m/sec: t = 1000 / [(870 + 435) / 2] = 1.53 sec. This results in a drop of -4.877(1.532) = -11.42m. Now calculate an angle using tan ? = X/Z where X = X drop and Z = distance to target.

Keep in mind this is a very simplified approach and not the proper way to do ballistic calculations, however I doubt the MS simulation is much more complicated or accurate. Also, all this does you little good in the heat of battle when you're pulling hard on the stick in a 20 degree climb with 30 degrees of roll. That's what the tracers are for !

Q. Bank: angle of gunstation left/right (degrees) Again, I suggest using similar weapon/angle values from other .dps in CFS. If you really must calculate, remember: tan ? = X/Z where X = X offset and Z = distance to target.

R. Heading: heading of gunstation (degrees)(Example: A rear facing AI gunstation may have a heading of 180)

S. Constraint Angle left (max rotation angle for AI guns)

T. Constraint Angle right (max rotation angle for AI guns)

U. Constraint Angle up (max rotation angle for AI guns)

V. Constraint Angle down (max rotation angle for AI guns)

W. Round weight (oz)

-----------------------------------------------------------

sc7500
    A long time back here there was an upload by Dave Cumming named
    "The DP File (Part 1)", from that I made a simple chart of sorts and use it
    alot. I wish I could copy it and repost it as it is easy to read. ckissling

SOH-CM-2013

Question Neat !

Do you still have the file, Mr. K ?

If so, what format is it in ??

And, if not, does anyone know how to contact Dave Cumming ?

One can never have too much data to draw from...

SC

sc7500
    It's not really a file, he posted it as a thead and I printed it out back
    in 2003, it's about 7 pages long. Dave Cumming is a member at SOH,
    I sent a PM to him to see if has a copy that I could upload.
    ckissling

Tango_Romeo

Lightbulb Not Diversity...

[quote=sc7500;98533]Admit it ~ there's PLENTY of room here for diversity !
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

You guys are talking about entirely different things. SC, the method you mentioned adjusts the gunsight. The other method is adjusting the gun positions themselves. You need to make the distinction.

Adjusting the gunsight is the normal method. Adjusting the gun positions is only needed when the designer made errors in placing his weapons in the DP on a specific plane.
    :gossip:

Hi Sc7500,
    Many thanks for a short and sweet gem of info there!

Much appreciated...

It's funny how things that you're thinking about pop up....:focus:

Cheers Shessi

Seems I remember that "back in the day" (2002?) there were entries to load the ammo on aircraft to distinguish each round as either a reg round, a tracer, a frag round or an incendiary round. Example would be 1st rnd was a tracer, 2nd rnd reg, 3rd and 5th rnds were incendiary, 4th rnd was a frag, 6th rnd was a tracer and the process started again with rnd 7. Wasn't the high performance F4U Corsair (2800 hp) for CFS2, also known as a Kamikaze killer late in the war, loaded as listed as above?

I sure hope it was for CFS2 as that is the only combat sim I flew back then. Does anyone remember that sequence of loading ammo belts or am I losing my mind (again?)

Members who have read this thread: 0