Gmax Tutorials - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Gmax Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    Mixing Gmax palette colors with graphics on the same object can't be done. At least, not in any way I've yet to read about.
    What a disappointment! I had hoped that I could save myself some effort and avoid some mapping, which I find tedious. Well, there's nothing for it; just gonna have to knuckle down and read the tutorial again. Thanks, HairySpin.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.

My models are ENORMOUSLY big when imported into the WOFF...

I thought I finally had a handle on this 'scaling business', but I guess not. I've gone to the 'Customize' menu, selected 'Customize Units', set it to 1 Unit= 1 meter. Does this not mean that 1 box on the grid = 1 meter in WOFF's world? Apparently not. I am currently sending my model from Wisconsin to Quebec where another WOFF pilot converts it to .m3d and imports it to the WOFF world. You can see the magnitude of my problem in the picture. And that's after I've re-sized the model by 50%...twice. If I can get this settled once and for all, I'll have the instructions tattooed on my wrist.

ps: After two 50% reductions, this Caudron G.3 should be sitting next to the Albatros fighters on the flight line.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.

Customize - Preferences and on the General tab you'll see the System Unit Scale. Set this to 1 unit = 1 metre and you'll be right.

What you have been working with is the viewport units which can be anything you like to suit your data or preferences, but the System Unit Scale governs the final result. If I had a pound for every time this comes up I could afford coffee at Starbucks every day. Have this tattooed on the back of any dentures: it's more discreet and almost as handy...
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Thank you much, HairySpin. (was it always just that simple?) I found a previous thread of mine covering the same ground (it was kinda embarrassing) and I didn't quite get it. Here's a pic showing progress. (Attempt #1 and #2.) My problem for today is that my work-window grid (light grey lines on Med. grey background) looks fine when I open a new doc., but when I zoom in, the colors moosh together and it's hard to count the grid blocks. How might I change the colors? (e.g., a light grey background with red grid lines?)

Go to Customize - Customize User Interface and pick the Colors tab. Click the Elements drop-down box and select Grids: you can now set the Grid colour to suit.

If I understand aright, you're using the grid spacing to determine sizes of modelled objects. You can set the physical size of objects at creation, if they're primitives, and Gmax has tools to measure sizes of other objects when they're made. Look the help file for Tape objects and think how the Transform Type-In box can be used. Sooner or later you're going to zoom in closer than a grid will resolve and you'll need these tools and techniques: they're more accurate than sighting grid lines anyway.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7