Gmax Tutorials
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gmax Tutorials

Gmax Tutorials

Hello Milton,

After the server crash, if Ickie and Co. can't rebuild the post and thread databases, can we have links in sticky threads to all your tutorials? (IIRC they were off-site)

Thanks!

Of course ... if the forums cannot be restored, I will repost everything I have record of.

The new C-162 list of gmax exercises and tutorials is here:
    http://www.sim-outhouse.net/tut/fs9/c162/

Most of what is listed below can be found in the link above.

If you would like the gmax source for the C-162 created in the above tutorials, download it here:
    http://www.sim-outhouse.net/download...m/SOH_c162.zip

Here is the Data Collection writeup:

http://www.sim-outhouse.net/downloads/SOHTeam/data.zip

Creating a Calibration Box for your 3-views:

http://www.sim-outhouse.net/download...eam/CalBox.zip

Basic GMax Video Introduction:

Download the zip of the .avi file to play:
    http://www.sim-outhouse.net/download...basicintro.zip

Video Tutorial on Creating the VC:

Basic: from exterior model to a VC with gauges in 15 minutes:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...uges-in-15-Min

A little longer and older VC creation version:

http://www.sim-outhouse.net/download...am/vcready.zip

EDIT: Link to download QuakeIII and LithUnwrap:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/res...resources.144/

EDIT: Updated links to new server locations of tutorials April 2014

EDIT: SDKs for FS9: http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/res...ation-pdf.171/
    Last edited by Milton Shupe; December 26th, 2016 at 16:41.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

First of all thanks for the tutorial,but I downloaded the sdk,i instaled it but it not work,then i download the resource kit but i dont know what to do,i hope you can tell me what to do,sorry for the trouble

The SDK is references for Makemdl. In that you will find the names to use to name your aircraft parts. Parts have to be named correctly so that animations can be recognized and work in flight sim.

The Resources kit has a gmax file to get you started with making a C-162. The "scene" contains a calibration box that is textured with 3-views of the C-162. The 3-views are in the resources kit folder called UVW.

When you open gmax, you will browse to the resource kit, open the gmax folder and the gmax file for the c162. Later you will setup your file links and browse to the UVW folder for your materials or textures.

There are also reference pictures in the kit along with reference documentation for that aircraft.

If you are just starting with gmax, you will need to go through the tutorials to learn the basic gmax structure and tools. You must have installed gmax, gmax help, and gmax tutorials before you can do those tutorials.

Once done you can start with this project as an exercise to see how things are done. Or, you can start with your own project. If you do that, you will need to read up on Getting Started -Data Collection, Creating a calibration box, and look at the Basics of Gmax video.

I hope this helps.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Thank you for your patience,the problem was that I dont have FS2004,but i am looking for it,but please if you can give me the gmax,it REALLY be helpfull thanks again for the tutorials and the help

Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    ... amongst other places. Unfortunately you have to register with Turbosquid to get the unlock code and although I've had no problem, they aren't always very quick to send you one.

There is a workaround called the Gmax Registration Utility which is available from: http://www.fsalpha.com/gmax_tips/ which is also one of the other sources for gmax....

At last,i can work! Thank you both i will download gmax and start learning at once!,thank you very much for all the help!

Sorry for the troubles (again) but i need help in exercise two of the tutorial,i think i mess up something but i'm not so sure where if you want to look the file please tell me how i upload it.

Thanks again

You can take a screenshot (picture) of the problem by pressing the Print Scrn key on the keyboard. This works like a copy to the clipboard. Then open Paint or any graphics program and Paste from the clipboard.

Save the screenshot to your Desktop and a .JPG.

Now post a reply here, then go to the bottom of your reply to Manage Attachments.

Browse to your Desktop and select your Screenshot and Upload it.

Finish your post and the screenshot will appear.

I hope this helps.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Here they are,as you can see now,my windshield doesnt looks like yours,i have not deleted half of my model and,the nose is wrong (i think),if you need a specific view,please let me know

It seems that your left/right calibration sides may be "flattened" and have a different pixels per foot ratio than the front/rear views. I know I had this problem early on. I readjusted the left/right sides to better coincide with the front rear relationships. I will attach that here for you. (Just click to enlarge, then right click and Save Image As) Create the right side by flipping it.

Also, see my examples attached as what I am seeing in my exercise model. Also attaching your front view showing that the upper cowling needs to be pulled up. This is the part of modeling that simply requires a lot of vertice pushing to get it right, comparing to RW pictures, and trying to get the "face" of the aircraft to its real personality.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

So,I need to fit the model to the rear/front views,and the exersice two is just for the shape of the model?,if i dont get that exercise exactly as the tutorial shows,theres no real problem?

The issue as I see it is that the side views seem to be a bit "squashed". Try the one I posted above to see if it works any better.

If you are using exercise two, that would be from the cross-sections I developed and you should be close. But as with any modeling using basic 3-views like this set, you will be required to "push vertices" to perfect the shape and look of the aircraft. Use pictures to compare and adjust until you have things looking correct. The better 3-views include cross-sections at various points along the fuselage.

The point of these exercises is to help familiarize you with techniques and tools. One should try to get the 3-views pixel perfect for a project and double check measurements and placement of the calibrations box sides to ensure proper alignment. Unfortunately the 3-views for this exercise seem not to be precise. So, as a modeler, you will need to use your resources to shape the fuselage as close to the aircraft as you can using whatever means you can draw from. Getting the shape correct is essential as the foundation of the whole project.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Then i will calibrate the views,and make the noise by vertice pushing,thanks again,by the way,how do you map the sides of the box,I try creating one but i dont know how to map it

Thanks again

Setting up a calibration box can be found in a link in my original post above. But, here it is:

http://www.sim-outhouse.net/tut/fs9/.../backdrops.zip

Before the SOH forum crash, there was a better one available but hopefully this one will do the trick for you.
    Last edited by Milton Shupe; December 9th, 2013 at 15:45.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

First of all thanks for the help now I got my own calibration box,and the cessna,i do all the vertice pushing but now my left side is wrong here are the screenshots (in order:Front as it was,left whit the front wrong,right side of the front fixed,left view of the model whit the front fixed)

I see two issues here.

1) The aspect ratio of the length to the height is incorrect. The calibration box appears "squashed"/too flat. The ratio should be 2.7:1

2) There is an issue with the 3-view drawings in that the spinner of the aircraft in one view is higher than in another view. For example, in one of mine, the spinner tip is at pixel 209 and the other is at 191. This is a fallacy of the drawing, not of your work. (see attached and note the lines I drew through the spinners)

Before you create the calibration box sizes, you must ensure integrity of the calibration, the relationships of length, width, height. You can create the calibration box directly from measurements of the aircraft. At least the box will be sized correctly even though we must work with flawed drawings.

Then, after cropping the 3-views carefully, apply them to the cal-box. Try not to use the fit command but rather adjust the UVW gizmo to allow for differences. One way to try to match up side and front/rear views is to draw horizontal lines through the spinners in each view. Then adjust the UVW gizmo until you have the lines in teh front and side views matching up.

Get this as close as you can then build from the side and top views. Adjust as necessary and use your artistic skills to make it look like the RW aircraft.

I know this is a bit frustrating as I went through it with these drawings as well.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

So,i need to do my own calibration box or modify the one i downloaded,but my model was fine!,thanks,and by the way,how do i apply the bitmaps to the calibration box?

Last edited by Milton Shupe; December 9th, 2013 at 15:46.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Whit gmax i can make models for combat flight simulator 3 or CFS1?
    I ask because i dont have FS2004 and i like to test my model (when finish of course)

CFS3 - yes. CFS1 - no; don't know what you need for that, but it isn't gmax. You'll need the CFS3 SDK from microsoft and the plug-in for gmax which you'll get at the CFS3 home site

edit: the site is gone: get the SDK here in the Library

polecat0942
    Hate to bother you guys. I have made several attempts in the past to work with Gmax. I started working on a B24 long ago for CFS3 (Long before FirePower ever came out) and never really got too far. At that time, I set up a calbox etc., using the method described in the gmax tutorial for making a p38. Using the 4 views given in gmax: top, front, left/right, and perspective, I made my box and and fit the backround image for each view into it (of course they would always offset when I would mess with lock zoom/pan, still do). Now I've seen the calbox done in 3D like the calbox included in this tutorial but have to admit I don't understand it. When I open the calbox only the one window (user) opens up. Are you supposed to only use the one window? I guess I'm having problems understanding this first basic step. Do I no longer need the 3 or 4 other views that are present when gmax first fires up? For some reason (and having air for brains is a good one) I am having a hard time wrapping my brains around this. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

John

Edit: just looked at my original B24 attempt files -- dated 2/5/2004 lol

John,

Do not use the calibration techique in the gmax tutorials ... it is faulty.

There is a whole list of tutorials at the start of this thread. One talks about setting up calibration boxes.

Here is a tutorial on gmax basics. Maybe it will help get you started:

Download the zip of the .avi file to play:
    http://www.sim-outhouse.net/download...basicintro.zip

In gmax, you have 8 basic views:
    Right, Left, Front, Rear, Top, Bottom, Perspective, and User. You can use keyboard keys to switch. E.G. R, L, K, F, B, P, and U.

The standard views are necessary for doing certain things when strict directional alignment of your view is important. Any views not standard is the User view for panning around and getting different view perspectives.

Watch the video I did to get a basic intro to gmax basics. Then check out the calibration tute in my first post here, then scan the C-162 tutorials for lots of helpful info.

Milton
    Last edited by Milton Shupe; April 6th, 2014 at 10:26.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

polecat0942
    Thanks Milt, I had no idea about the tutorial method being flawed. I'll study more and I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.

Cheers,

John

Edit: I'm getting a 404 error on that link above.