Gmax Tutorials - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gmax Tutorials

As Milton says and his link will point you to the SDKs and patches for CFS3. I'm at work, so will answer your other post after the kids are bunked down.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Updated links to tutorials in post #2
    ... and some of the links seem to be broken again. I managed to download Calbox.zip OK but I can't open a download of basicintro.zip with either Win7's zip function or 7zip, and the VC tutorial seems to have gone walkabout ...

I get a "The compressed (zipped) folder is invalid or corrupted" when I try to open the basicintro.zip. Using Win XP SP3 stock unzip program. Also Rami seems to have hit the same bug yesterday with one of his mission packs for CFS2. Wonder if it is related to this http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...-down&p=979938
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Try the tutorials on this website while we sort the issues here:

http://www.gjsmith.net/Milton_Shupe/C162/index.htm
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Sad to say, there are broken links there as well - the ones I found were the Gmax setup SDK and the videos associated with section 22 on texture mapping ...

Quote Originally Posted by rohan View Post
    Sad to say, there are broken links there as well - the ones I found were the Gmax setup SDK and the videos associated with section 22 on texture mapping ...
    I will upload the video for you. The gmax sdk can be found at FSDeveloper.

EDIT: I uploaded both for you

http://www.sim-outhouse.net/download...am/gmaxsdk.zip

http://www.sim-outhouse.net/download...62basicmap.zip
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Thank you - perhaps you could confirm whether the link at the bottom of this page -

http://www.gjsmith.net/Milton_Shupe/...p-p1/index.htm

refers to the first three videos in the John Howard White tutorials that you have uploaded here (I already have copies of these 4 videos) ?

At the top of that same page there's a broken link for MD3 and Lithunwrap modules. Google gave me several lookups for the latter, but it wasn't clear whether these were compatible / interoperable with GMax - especially when I found this page where a question was asked but never answered ...

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showth...ility-Question

Quote Originally Posted by rohan View Post
    Thank you - perhaps you could confirm whether the link at the bottom of this page -

http://www.gjsmith.net/Milton_Shupe/...p-p1/index.htm

refers to the first three videos in the John Howard White tutorials that you have uploaded here (I already have copies of these 4 videos) ?

At the top of that same page there's a broken link for MD3 and Lithunwrap modules. Google gave me several lookups for the latter, but it wasn't clear whether these were compatible / interoperable with GMax - especially when I found this page where a question was asked but never answered ...

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showth...ility-Question
    Yes, that refers to the first 3 of 4 tutorials by JHW.

You want version 1.3 and that will work just fine with all versions of gmax. You need the Quake III plugins.

Quake III simply allows you to export selected (Quake 3 MD3 files) from gmax the objects that have been mapped.
    Lithunwrap reads those MD3 files and will create a map template for you to save in your gmax texture folder for the project.

EDIT: Okay, to make it easy, I have uploaded both LithUnwrap and MD3 Plugins for you.
    Install the Lithunwrap folder anywhere and create a shortcut to the Unwrap.exe application.
    The 2 - MD3 Plugins need to be added to your Gmax/Plugins folder.

http://www.sim-outhouse.net/download...m/MD3_GMAX.zip

http://www.sim-outhouse.net/download...lithunwrap.zip
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

I'm afraid we're still missing the VC tutorial referenced at the beginning of the VC sections. At SoH, the link just gives a typical page 404 response, while at Garry's site the response is -

File Not Found Error - 404 - report.
    Referring URL: http://www.gjsmith.net/Milton_Shupe/C162/vc1/
    Visitors IP: 87.112.8.69
    Requested URL: /Milton_Shupe/tutorials/vcready.zip
    Server Name: www.gjsmith.net

If this is a genuine File Not Found error then please
    contact garry[at]gjsmith.net with a copy of the above
    text and I will endevour to correct the problem.

Developer of the Ford-Tri-Motor.net web site

Garry J. Smith - gjsmith.net, gjsmith.com and gjsmith.org

Thank you; I will contact Garry for a fix.

Meanwhile the tutorial and video is available here in our library. See the link in the first post of this thread.

here is the video you seek: http://www.sim-outhouse.net/download...am/vcready.zip
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

I've lost my G-Max toolbars...

'Launched G-Max today and all my toolbars at the top and right side are gone. I poked about in "Customize Interface" but nothing helped. Any ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G-Max Missing tools.jpg  
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.

Quote Originally Posted by Hauksbee View Post
    'Launched G-Max today and all my toolbars at the top and right side are gone. I poked about in "Customize Interface" but nothing helped. Any ideas?
    No problem; just Reload as per the attached, or right click on the gray area at top and select the Main Tool Bar and Command Panel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HOMEUNIT-2016-sep-5-012.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

No problem; just Reload as per the attached, or right click on the gray area at top and select the Main Tool Bar and Command Panel.
    Something's not right. If I click on Item#1 of the flyout Menu, Items 1 & 2 get selected. If I click on #3, Items 2 & 3 are selected. No matter which are selected, the Tool Bars are still missing.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.

Something's not right. If I click on Item#1 of the flyout Menu, Items 1 & 2 get selected. If I click on #3, Items 2 & 3 are selected. No matter which are selected, the Tool Bars are still missing.
    Did you try:

1) Click the Customize Menu
    2) Click Revert to Startup Layout
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Did you try:

1) Click the Customize Menu
    2) Click Revert to Startup Layout
    Just tried both and neither worked. I'm beginning to suspect that I need to install a fresh copy of G-Max. Can it still be downloaded here at SimOH?

Just tried both and neither worked. I'm beginning to suspect that I need to install a fresh copy of G-Max. Can it still be downloaded here at SimOH?
    Hauksbee.

If you are running gmax 1.2, then download the attached UI folder.
    Unzip it.

Open you Gmax folder.
    Rename you UI folder to save it.

Now copy the UI folder I attached, you downloaded and unzipped, and paste it in your Gmax folder.

See if that works.

If it does not work, just replace my folder with your renamed one; rename it back to UI.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Hauksbee. ...copy the UI folder I attached, you downloaded and unzipped, and paste it in your Gmax folder. See if that works.
    IT WORKED! 'Back in business. Thanks, Milton.

IT WORKED! 'Back in business. Thanks, Milton.
    Ah, great to hear! Thanks for the followup.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Model Turns Gray When I Apply Texture...?

I'm building a WWI French Caudron G.III. As I go, I apply colors from the G-Max palette which are close to the original, so that at the end, all I need do is apply rondels to the wings and a number and personal emblem to the fuselage. (this plane will only be seen at a distance.) However, when I got to the texturing part this evening, I got this weird problem: when I apply the texture, the geometry turns gray and there's no texture. (Ck. red arrow) I then drew a thin box, roughly the same size as the wing...and the texture applies just fine. What's going on with the model?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TEXTURING G.III.jpg  

I'm building a WWI French Caudron G.III. As I go, I apply colors from the G-Max palette which are close to the original, so that at the end, all I need do is apply rondels to the wings and a number and personal emblem to the fuselage. (this plane will only be seen at a distance.) However, when I got to the texturing part this evening, I got this weird problem: when I apply the texture, the geometry turns gray and there's no texture. (Ck. red arrow) I then drew a thin box, roughly the same size as the wing...and the texture applies just fine. What's going on with the model?
    See the first picture in this post referring to the blue button:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...l=1#post907412
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

See the first picture in this post referring to the blue button:
    It seems the current weirdness has an added dimension that I did not explain fully. Or fully enough. On the Caudron model, all cloth-covered surfaces were assigned a canvas/tan color in the G-Max palette: both wings, the cloth bits of the fuselage nacelle and the tail surfaces. When I applied the French rondels to the upper wing, not only did the texture not appear (yes, I know about the blue button. It didn't help) but it turned the upper wing gray. The same darkish gray as the work window background. Further attempts to change this color to anything else have failed. When I applied texture to the fuselage nacelle, it simply turned the nacelle light blue. Later attempts to texture it changed it to white, but I cannot change it to anything else with the G-Max color palette. When I textured the rudder, it turned white. It resisted all attempts to change its color until a few seconds ago when I gave one last shot and restored it to the original Color Palette canvas/tan color. But none of the others. What is so strange is that I can draw a shape behind the model and the texture applies flawlessly. What could be happening with the model?

[IMG][/IMG]

...On the Caudron model, all cloth-covered surfaces were assigned a canvas/tan color in the G-Max palette: both wings, the cloth bits of the fuselage nacelle and the tail surfaces. When I applied the French rondels to the upper wing, not only did the texture not appear ...
    You cannot apply the insignia to the model as you are attempting without mapping the relevant model parts. Mixing Gmax palette colours with graphics on the same object can't be done. At least, not in any way I've yet to read about. If you really don't want to map the model, make a poly to overlay the wing where the insignia is to go and map and apply the insignia texture to that.

Much better to map the model!
    Last edited by hairyspin; September 11th, 2016 at 21:30.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Material color with a overlayed polygon is vary old school. As hairyspin said your better off to map all of the model.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

And the reason why it worked with the simple shape you used as a test is mapping coordinates are automatically applied to such a shape when you apply a material. Not so with complex meshes.

You'll need to add a UVW Map modifier. I do this with the top view active for a wing (for example), then click the View Align button. To keep the bitmap proportions of the original image, also click the Bitmap Fit button and select that bitmap.

Then I add a UVW Unwrap modifier and use the Uniform Scale and Move buttons (with all vertices selected) to resize and move the bitmap into position. To keep the roundels round avoid deforming your mapping usually caused by editing only some of the vertices at one time.

Hope this helps,