Gmax Tutorials - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gmax Tutorials

Do not re-attach the sides. No need ... select each, go to properties and uncheck Show Frozen in Gray, the Freeze each side.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

ghopper
    Thanks Milton,
    That got me working. Box is complete, time to do some modeling.

Dan

not sure if this counts but have you guys seen this site it's not a Gmax Tutorial but shows how to make CFS2 planes really well

http://www.cfgse.calebflerk.com/index.htm

ok for some reason I can't find the edit button sorry but I'll have to D post if that ok with you guys if not can you add this to the links I set

ok if you guys want to know how to make IL-2 mods here is the best place to start
    http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php?topic=357.0

Thanks for these, Jeddragon! Just two problems with the IL-2 modelling material: legit copies of 3ds Max 3, 4 or 5 are about as common as rocking horse droppings and the Max model has to be sent to 1C for compiling to a model in about six weeks? Around here we're used to changing something, compiling to the sim and trying it out straight away - seems a lengthy development cycle.

3ds Max, for those who want to use it for FSX development, has been a continuing headache: FSX supports Max 7, 8, 9 and 10 (2008) which are no longer available and only recently have Lockheed Martin released compatible exporters which support newer versions of Max up to 2012. Interesting to see details on the 1C model and damage procedures though, plus there's some excellent links to aircraft data and photographs near the end of that tut.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

yeah sorry I forgot to tell ya that forum for Il-2 has all the tools ya need to get files working also the files can be imported into Gmax I tested it out using there msh converter also olny prob might converting it back they might have something on that on that site

not sure if you have checked out the forum but here is the forum in full to find out a lot of things
    http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/board,4.0.html

Thanks!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

I just reuploaded another GEM by our unforgotten low poli master Gerard to my webspace,
    wing and wingtip tutorial:

http://www.classics-hangar.de/privat/Gerard_tuto/1.htm
    Mathias

Thanks Mathias!

Always good to have these tuts available again, there are fewer places to direct the learning modeller these days.
    Tom

Boolean Operations

Hi, Im wondering if anyone can correct a boolean procedure?

I am attempting to cut a windshield in accordance with the tutorial docs and when I cut the boolean and convert it to an editable Polygon nothing appears to happen. Perhaps someone could help me along?

Kind Regards,
    Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by OzFlightSimulations View Post
    Hi, Im wondering if anyone can correct a boolean procedure?

I am attempting to cut a windshield in accordance with the tutorial docs and when I cut the boolean and convert it to an editable Polygon nothing appears to happen. Perhaps someone could help me along?

Kind Regards,
    Matt.
    If gmax, then happy to help. Either need screen shots of your steps or your gmax source of just the parts in question to do boolean. Select parts, then Save Selected. Zip and attach to post.

If you cannot do that, and you use gmax, I will do a video tute for you.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    If gmax, then happy to help. Either need screen shots of your steps or your gmax source of just the parts in question to do boolean. Select parts, then Save Selected. Zip and attach to post.

If you cannot do that, and you use gmax, I will do a video tute for you.
    Thanks for your reply.
    I will attach the GMAX file here and also include the link to the tutorial listing the steps ive taken so far.
    Any help is appreciated.

Tutorial used http://www.sim-outhouse.net/tut/fs9/...viewfuse3.html

Kind Regards
    Matt.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks for your reply.
    I will attach the GMAX file here and also include the link to the tutorial listing the steps ive taken so far.
    Any help is appreciated.

Tutorial used http://www.sim-outhouse.net/tut/fs9/...viewfuse3.html

Kind Regards
    Matt.
    You have already done the boolean and it looks good. The attached shows you how to better setup the viewport options to best view your work.

Let me know if you need more help. View the attachments in numbered order.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Updated links to tutorials in post #2
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

VC

Perhaps I'm posting in the wrong area, I'm not too sure.
    I've got a bit of a test model going at the moment. I've started to make a VC, I've got two models by the time Gmax finishes its export one is "filename" the other is "filename_interior"

When I load it into FSX, everything is good at this point however the VC eye point is too high and not far enough to the Left side of the aeroplane.
    I have tried looking in the Aircraft.cfg to find the "Camera Definition" so I can tweak that, but theres nothing there controlling VC, it just controls the Right seat etc..

Has anyone else had similar issues and could provide feedback?

Thanks in advance,

Kind Regards
    Matt

Matt,

The eyepoint in the VC is controlled by the coordinates you place in the aircraft.cfg file in teh following statement:

[Views]
    eyepoint=-5.255, 0, 2.675 //Fore/aft; left/right; up/down stated in feet

In your design program find the coordinates of the pilot's nose bridge, select a vertice to get the coordinates (X,Y,Z) (convert them to feet)
    then update the eyepoint statement in the aircraft.cfg in format y,X,Z
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Matt,

The eyepoint in the VC is controlled by the coordinates you place in the aircraft.cfg file in teh following statement:

[Views]
    eyepoint=-5.255, 0, 2.675 //Fore/aft; left/right; up/down stated in feet

In your design program find the coordinates of the pilot's nose bridge, select a vertice to get the coordinates (X,Y,Z) (convert them to feet)
    then update the eyepoint statement in the aircraft.cfg in format y,X,Z
    Thanks Milton,

Another thing I noticed as well... Once I clone the "Exterior" and name it "Interior" and export..... it exports the plane fine but comes up with a duplicate animation warning.... once I load it in FSX, the prop and exit animation works in the VC but looking out the canopy the aileron and flap are motionless on both sides of the plane.... What could I have not done correctly?

Since you are using the FSX SDK let's wait for an FSX modeler to answer this one.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Once I clone the "Exterior" and name it "Interior" and export..... it exports the plane fine but comes up with a duplicate animation warning.... once I load it in FSX, the prop and exit animation works in the VC but looking out the canopy the aileron and flap are motionless on both sides of the plane.... What could I have not done correctly?
    Try just renaming the top node to Interior and saving the file as modelName_interior.gmax, then export it to FSX. Cloning might not have carried over the animation tags properly. Once the interior is working properly, you can start removing unseen objects and polys from the _interior model.

Unlike FS9, the interior and exterior don't need to be in the same Gmax model: your duplicate animation warnings probably come from that. Look at the stock aircraft in the FSX Airplanes folder and you'll see two models: Beech_Baron_58.mdl and Beech_Baron_58_interior.mdl in the case of the Baron 58. The model files used in FSX are specified in aircraft.cfg. This is why a VC from another aircraft can be used with an FSX model. Some modellers don't do that, having learned their craft in FS9 and found the FS9 habits hard to break, but since you're starting from fresh it's best to do things the FSX way.

BTW, I'm a CFS3 modeller , but I'm looking to the future (by living in the past) ... if y'know what I mean. Errr...
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    Try just renaming the top node to Interior and saving the file as modelName_interior.gmax, then export it to FSX. Cloning might not have carried over the animation tags properly. Once the interior is working properly, you can start removing unseen objects and polys from the _interior model.

Unlike FS9, the interior and exterior don't need to be in the same Gmax model: your duplicate animation warnings probably come from that. Look at the stock aircraft in the FSX Airplanes folder and you'll see two models: Beech_Baron_58.mdl and Beech_Baron_58_interior.mdl in the case of the Baron 58. The model files used in FSX are specified in aircraft.cfg. This is why a VC from another aircraft can be used with an FSX model. Some modellers don't do that, having learned their craft in FS9 and found the FS9 habits hard to break, but since you're starting from fresh it's best to do things the FSX way.

BTW, I'm a CFS3 modeller , but I'm looking to the future (by living in the past) ... if y'know what I mean. Errr...

Yeah, That's what I've done to get around it. I'm assuming it wont glitch with FSX, as there are already two models anyway one is the model the other interior so I'll see how it goes... When I saved everything as "interior" and kept the aircraft Exterior model file All the views and animations worked. Must be some GMAX glitch. If I ever find a solution, I'll post it here.

Thanks for all your help.

Happy Easter everyone.

Kind Regards,

Matt - Oz Flight Simulations, Australia.

It's not a workaround Matt, it's how you're supposed to do it for FSX.

In CFS3 you have:-

CoolModel
    .....coolModel_LOD_100
    lots of objects for external model
    .....cockpits
    ..........cockpit_virtual0
    lots of VC objects
    ..........cockpit_virtual1
    lots of bomb aimer's objects
    etc.

In FS9 it's:-

CoolModel
    .....exterior
    external objects
    .....interior
    VC objects

but in FSX the external model and VC are completely separate models. Which .MDL files are used are specified in model.cfg, not aircraft.cfg as mentioned above.
    Tom

It's not a workaround Matt, it's how you're supposed to do it for FSX.

In CFS3 you have:-

CoolModel
    .....coolModel_LOD_100
    lots of objects for external model
    .....cockpits
    ..........cockpit_virtual0
    lots of VC objects
    ..........cockpit_virtual1
    lots of bomb aimer's objects
    etc.

In FS9 it's:-

CoolModel
    .....exterior
    external objects
    .....interior
    VC objects

but in FSX the external model and VC are completely separate models. Which .MDL files are used are specified in model.cfg, not aircraft.cfg as mentioned above.

Thanks Tom,

For some unforseen reason - help here - Ive got my interior Fuse to show in FSX however when I add detail IE, Seats and centre console, they show up fine in Gmax, yet everything exports but the seats don't show in FSX... Doing my head in, nothing is set See Through or anything like that. If I attach the seats to the Fuse Interior, it shows up, yet if they're separated they dont show.
    Anyone ran into this before ?

... If I attach the seats to the Fuse Interior, it shows up, yet if they're separated they dont show...
    Do you mean linked, or Attached? That's an important difference! You link objects to each other in a hierarchy; but you might build a tailfin, then select the fuselage, click Attach and click on the tailfin to make it part of the fuselage object.

If the seats are linked to the fuse interior, that would sound like where they should be.
    Tom

CFS3 - yes. CFS1 - no; don't know what you need for that, but it isn't gmax. You'll need the CFS3 SDK from microsoft and the plug-in for gmax which you'll get at the CFS3 home site http://www.microsoft.com/games/combatfs3/
    The link you recommend is no longer active. I've also tried to get the CFS3 SDK from http://microsoftgamesinsider.com/CFS...ls/default.htm but nothing happens and it times me out. I'm assuming that to get a Gmax model into CFS3 I must have the SDK. Can you give me a working link? Thanks.

edit: the CFS3 SDKs are now in the Library here at SOH
    Last edited by hairyspin; October 14th, 2017 at 13:12. Reason: updated information
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.

Once you get the SDK, you will need some updates apparently:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...tches-and-SDKs
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here