There's Nothing Like Fresh Mesh ... - Page 6
Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101112131416 ... LastLast

Thread: There's Nothing Like Fresh Mesh ...

That is looking much better SteveB.

I am regretting now that I did not map with a higher resolution than I did.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Very odd jobs man and MiGaholic
    Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    That is looking much better SteveB.

I am regretting now that I did not map with a higher resolution than I did.
    I can always start again if you want too

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    I can always start again if you want too
    My concern about remapping is that this WIP has had 176 downloads so there may be a lot of paint in progress.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

My concern about remapping is that this WIP has had 176 downloads so there may be a lot of paint in progress.
    Understood Milton. It would be nice to know who is painting or planning schemes for the Mallard, I will be making my layered masters available too all once I have completed them.

Understood Milton. It would be nice to know who is painting or planning schemes for the Mallard, I will be making my layered masters available too all once I have completed them.
    Thank you Steve; that is most kind of you.

I will likely create a new version for the hi-res mapping.
    I will try to get that done this weekend.
    The hi-res version templates will not be compatible with the current mapping by necessity.
    I will denote it as a hi-resolution version so if others wish, they can continue with the current version.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Thank you Steve; that is most kind of you.

I will likely create a new version for the hi-res mapping.
    I will try to get that done this weekend.
    The hi-res version templates will not be compatible with the current mapping by necessity.
    I will denote it as a hi-resolution version so if others wish, they can continue with the current version.
    I'll Start on some Hi Res masters as soon as your ready.

Looking good Steve. I'm planning to roll the Mallard out for some flight testing here as soon as I wrap up my bit with the Lodestar. Eager to see what you come up with for paint schemes on this beauty.

Cheers -- BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

She rests between my Goose and my hu-16... bring it on guys!
    We can complain about Il2 defects or omissions, but after a quick reality check with the competitors' products we go back to father Oleg as a bunch of prodigal sons.

Insuber

I have been playing with the interior this evening. Decided on wood panelling and cream finish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mallard_wip_3.jpg  

I have been playing with the interior this evening. Decided on wood panelling and cream finish.
    Yes Sir; that will look very welcoming. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

First time I have ever painted inside, sofa's just started, chairs next. Here's updated external and new internal texture: https://www.dropbox.com/s/g69vpv3r1f...ta_02.zip?dl=0

Just wish I could figure out how to get into the back, so I can see what I'm doing lol.

First time I have ever painted inside, sofa's just started, chairs next. Here's updated external and new internal texture: https://www.dropbox.com/s/g69vpv3r1f...ta_02.zip?dl=0

Just wish I could figure out how to get into the back, so I can see what I'm doing lol.
    There are 2 ways at least to deal with this:

1) I can send you a model without the exterior shell; or

2) You can install Flight1's F1View that allows Mouse scrolling to move about the cockpit. Just Google it
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

option 1 please Milton.

Thanks

Steve

option 1 please Milton.

Thanks

Steve
    Here ya go, a Mallard with most of the exterior fuselage missing so you can see your work inside.
    This is a model replacement folder.

Make a backup copy of your existing model folder before replacing please.

Anyone is welcome to use this for their interior paint work review.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Regarding remapping to a higher resolution, I have studied all the parts sizes and have concluded that with the exception of the fuselage and engines, not much improvement can be made elsewhere.

All exterior mapping is now done at 15 meters. This includes fuselage, wings, tails, and engines.

The fuselage size would allow for improvement to 9 meters at best.

The wings would only allow improvement to 11 meters from 15 meters, hardly worth the change.
    I would like to keep the tails and the wings at the same scale so they could be at 11 meters.

The engines could be improved to 6 meters at best but then they would be much higher res than the rest, and my thinking is they should either match the scale of either the fuselage 9 meter or the wing 11 meter.

Since I think that the wings at 11 meters are not worth the benefit, the fuselage 9 meter scale would be best suited.

So, that leaves the fuselage and the engines to consider for a redo.
    That would then leave the fuse and engines at 9 meters, and the wings and tails at 15 meters.

That's a pretty large difference so then I question whether any of it should change. :-)

For painting ease when considering panel lines and rivets, etc., similar scales are important on like items and that is why now everything is on the same scale.

Your thoughts please about staying with what we have, or redoing the fuselage and engines to a slightly better resolution.
    At this point, the benefits seem slight.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Regarding remapping to a higher resolution, I have studied all the parts sizes and have concluded that with the exception of the fuselage and engines, not much improvement can be made elsewhere.

All exterior mapping is now done at 15 meters. This includes fuselage, wings, tails, and engines.

The fuselage size would allow for improvement to 9 meters at best.

The wings would only allow improvement to 11 meters from 15 meters, hardly worth the change.
    I would like to keep the tails and the wings at the same scale so they could be at 11 meters.

The engines could be improved to 6 meters at best but then they would be much higher res than the rest, and my thinking is they should either match the scale of either the fuselage 9 meter or the wing 11 meter.

Since I think that the wings at 11 meters are not worth the benefit, the fuselage 9 meter scale would be best suited.

So, that leaves the fuselage and the engines to consider for a redo.
    That would then leave the fuse and engines at 9 meters, and the wings and tails at 15 meters.

That's a pretty large difference so then I question whether any of it should change. :-)

For painting ease when considering panel lines and rivets, etc., similar scales are important on like items and that is why now everything is on the same scale.

Your thoughts please about staying with what we have, or redoing the fuselage and engines to a slightly better resolution.
    At this point, the benefits seem slight.
    No worries Milton, I'll paint what ever the size. Leave as is and I can work with it.
    Last edited by SteveB; June 20th, 2015 at 03:23.

Slap, dash whip up with MS Paint . .

windows 7 screen shot
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Slap, dash whip up with MS Paint . .

windows 7 screen shot
    That's some team work there expat and SteveB.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Painting Civilian American aircraft has been giving me some probs and I just couldn't stop myself

Nice work there expat. I've been playing with my rivets and just discovered I should have used screws on the engine and not bloomin rivets.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mallard_wip_4.jpg  

Painting Civilian American aircraft has been giving me some probs and I just couldn't stop myself

Nice work there expat. I've been playing with my rivets and just discovered I should have used screws on the engine and not bloomin rivets.
    That's looking very good Steve. Once you get the exterior settled, I am very interested to see your interior work.

I also assume you will splash paint around the cockpit and panels found on the ecubox.bmp.

For you and others who may be doing that, here are some screen shots for teh overhead, real world it was patterned after, the gmax side by side for perspective, and an FS shot.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

That's looking very good Steve. Once you get the exterior settled, I am very interested to see your interior work.

I also assume you will splash paint around the cockpit and panels found on the ecubox.bmp.

For you and others who may be doing that, here are some screen shots for teh overhead, real world it was patterned after, the gmax side by side for perspective, and an FS shot.

Aye I am going too have a go at the cockpit, I have already been collecting interior photo's to guide me. I am currently tweaking my wood panelling.

Here are the textures for the interior so far plus some updated exterior textures: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9kbw9qg7tb...eta_3.zip?dl=0

I'll be working on the carpets after I've burnt some dinner.

Aye I am going too have a go at the cockpit, I have already been collecting interior photo's to guide me. I am currently tweaking my wood panelling.
    Great, I was hoping you would say that. :-)

Here are the textures for the interior so far plus some updated exterior textures: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9kbw9qg7tb...eta_3.zip?dl=0

I'll be working on the carpets after I've burnt some dinner.
    LOL The interior is shaping up nicely; thank you Sir.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Been reading up on this plane just a bit. The initial cost for the radial powered version of the Mallard was around $115,000 per copy, but the PT-6 Turboprop version went for a cool $4 million. There were only 3 countries that flew the Mallard in the "civil" role, Australia, Canada and the US. Egypt was the only country to use the Mallard in a Military role.

Nice to see the project coming together, wish there was more I could do to help things along but at this point, all I can do is research, fly the plane and compare the model's performance in FS to the real thing. So far, both the Lodestar's flight characteristics and the Mallard's, two completely different aircraft, are very close in handling and specification as per documentation for each. You couldn't ask for a better simulation.

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Members who have read this thread: 0