Prepar3d 2.5 is out - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Prepar3d 2.5 is out

How big is the basic install? Also about how long does it take to download the whole thing?

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Ok where is the Addon Scenery folder in P3D tree?? How I am supposed to install CYFB Iqaluit and Acapulco and KSAT, KLAS??

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

There isn't one. Doesn't stop you making your one yourself though. Doesn't have to be in the P3d main folder, can be anywhere.

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveWG View Post
    There isn't one. Doesn't stop you making your one yourself though. Doesn't have to be in the P3d main folder, can be anywhere.
    Does that effect P3D's performance?

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CG_1976 View Post
    Does that effect P3D's performance?
    Nope. Just setup your own Scenery folders wherever you wish. Just activate them in the Scenery Library, that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    One other thing I want to mention about the water. . .Snurdley mentioned that he saw no animation with the water in P3D. It must be set to "max" for that to show. Also, when you do that, if you have a boat (or even if you don't) get right down over the water and take a look. . .that's animation FSX will never have.
    Thanks. I left the settings the same as FSX and expected to see the same effects. I'll give that a shot. Hope it doesn't hit the rig too hard.

Right!

I have now installed version 2.5 and I am having problems with external canopy reflectivity. In previous versions I had very nice reflective canopies on the F-35. F-22, the aerosoft F-14 and also Dino's MB-326. Now they are all dull showing no sign of diffuse alpha reflections (glass-like) at all. Does anyone else have this issue?

Best
    Dag

Quote Originally Posted by DagR View Post
    Right!

I have now installed version 2.5 and I am having problems with external canopy reflectivity. In previous versions I had very nice reflective canopies on the F-35. F-22, the aerosoft F-14 and also Dino's MB-326. Now they are all dull showing no sign of diffuse alpha reflections (glass-like) at all. Does anyone else have this issue?

Best
    Dag
    Not on my rig. have you checked the reflection settings??

You mean reflection settings in the sim right? Yes, off course.

Best regards
    Dag

Dag, I am (almost) sure you did these checks yourself already but just in case:

Are all required global environment/specular/fresnel maps present in the P3D .\Texture folder ? Many FSX addons use these global files:

Fresnel_Ramp.dds (or .bmp)
    GlobalEnv_AC_Chrome.dds
    GlobalEnv_AC_Glass_T.dds
    GlobalEnv_AC_Glass_spec_T.dds
    GlobalEnvTest.dds

And this is a long shot: I would delete/rebuild the shader cache (located in "C:\Users\your username\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin").

Quote Originally Posted by hschuit View Post
    Dag, I am (almost) sure you did these checks yourself already but just in case:

Are all required global environment/specular/fresnel maps present in the P3D .\Texture folder ? Many FSX addons use these global files:

Fresnel_Ramp.dds (or .bmp)
    GlobalEnv_AC_Chrome.dds
    GlobalEnv_AC_Glass_T.dds
    GlobalEnv_AC_Glass_spec_T.dds
    GlobalEnvTest.dds

And this is a long shot: I would delete/rebuild the shader cache (located in "C:\Users\your username\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin").
    Only the fresnel ramp was missing from the texture folder.
    I rebuilt my shader cache many times, I have been experimenting with the HDR settings you see :-)

Thanks
    Dag

No joy on getting the reflections back like in 2.4 :-(

Best
    Dag

Just bought it and so far not happy. I run three gtx 980 cards and thought that because Nvidia now had a profile for this sim that at least two cards should work in SLI. Wrong, viewing the cards usage and temps in Afterburner showed me that the top card ran around 70 degrees but the other two were loafing around 40 degrees. I tried several things including setting the cards up as alternate frame rendering but still the top card in the stack did all the work while the other two took a nap.

SLI in this sim is not perfected yet so I guess refund and try again some time in the future when they get that ironed out.

Oh, by the way, FSX uses all three cards equally.

No joy on getting the reflections back like in 2.4 :-(

Best
    Dag
    Can you post a screenshot of what you're actually getting in the sim ?
    Are you sure you hadn't installed some alternative "envmap" texture in your P3D 2.4 ?

I don't really understand the benefits of more than one card anyway with any game. Anyone care to supply a primer for me? It strikes me as a bit of a cash cow for the card makers. Am I wrong or just mean and poor?
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    Can you post a screenshot of what you're actually getting in the sim ?
    Are you sure you hadn't installed some alternative "envmap" texture in your P3D 2.4 ?
    I did a full clean reinstall of 2.5, the only way to go I am afraid. And no, I did not put in any custom envmap. Will post some screenies on monday.

Best regards
    Dag

Quote Originally Posted by Naismith View Post
    I don't really understand the benefits of more than one card anyway with any game. Anyone care to supply a primer for me? It strikes me as a bit of a cash cow for the card makers. Am I wrong or just mean and poor?
    I'm certainly the wrong guy to supply a primer, but my impression is that SLI with GPUs are subject to the law-of-diminishing-returns. I'm given to understand that adding a second card with SLI won't simply double your available GPU power (as many assume, in error) and adding a 3rd card certainly won't triple it etc. etc... According to this you'll actually end up getting less value for money the more you set out to achieve. For these reasons alone I'm sticking with a single card.

Andy

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by TeiscoDelRay View Post
    I run three gtx 980 cards and thought that because Nvidia now had a profile for this sim that at least two cards should work in SLI.
    As far as I know LM is still waiting for Nvidia to get off their butts and provide a profile for P3D.

CK
    Flying Canada's "Left Coast"

Nvidia's newest drivers does have a profile for P3D but the program only really uses one card so far.

Here's how my P-38s look. These both hadd a nice metallic shine to them in earlier versions. This is after the hotfix for 2.5 but they looked just the same before. Dull glass and very dull fuselage.
    Many aircraft have similar features, especially on the canopy glass. I refuse to believe they are supposed to be like this.

best
    Dag
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg  

Here's how my P-38s look. These both hadd a nice metallic shine to them in earlier versions. This is after the hotfix for 2.5 but they looked just the same before. Dull glass and very dull fuselage.
    Many aircraft have similar features, especially on the canopy glass. I refuse to believe they are supposed to be like this.

best
    Dag
    I have the same problem and I did change over the envmaps...

Quote Originally Posted by Dumonceau View Post
    I have the same problem and I did change over the envmaps...
    Do you mean you got rid of the problem by copying over different envmaps?
    I tried several with the same result. To me it seems like the diffuse alpha channel is not read by the sim.

Dag

I'm considering updating to v 2.5 but has i've just remastered my PC and installed v 2.4 with various aircraft and scenery add-ons, can I get away with just uninstalling v 2.4 leaving the aircraft add-on folders in place and installing v 2.5? My scenery is already on a separate drive to P3D so that shouldn't cause issues apart from Orbx Global Base & Monument Valley?

Quote Originally Posted by dharry View Post
    I'm considering updating to v 2.5 but has i've just remastered my PC and installed v 2.4 with various aircraft and scenery add-ons, can I get away with just uninstalling v 2.4 leaving the aircraft add-on folders in place and installing v 2.5? My scenery is already on a separate drive to P3D so that shouldn't cause issues apart from Orbx Global Base & Monument Valley?
    I don't think so,P3D 2.5 folders have been restructured, The SimObjects folder is no longer in The root P3D folder,I think this restructuring was the reason a Fresh install was needed instead of a patch.

Patrick

Also, you won't be able to activate your 2.5 install if you don't uninstall the 2.4 first.

Members who have read this thread: 0