DoughBree L-39C (FSX) - Page 2
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891012 ... LastLast

Thread: DoughBree L-39C (FSX)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Ah.. ok. I can just about see what it's supposed to be given that I now know what it's supposed to be! Can it be removed or would that be sacrilege? If it can't.. I'm happy to live with it.

EDIT: Having looked at the model in MCX.. I see that effect is part of the model. Never mind.

ATB
    DaveB
    Same here Dave, I kinda figured that's what it's supposed to be, but when folks start wondering exactly what an effect is "supposed" to be and how you can get rid of it. . . . .lol. . .it's not a success. Nothing on you Bjoern, it's just a bit funky looking.

Here's a deal:
    Someone supply me with an exhaust effect or engine smoke effect (RPM-dependant) and I'll kick the "heat blur" out.

Copy-paste of what I was using prior to this model updating....

[LIGHTS]
    //Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit
    light.0 = 3, 1.80, -15.55, -0.62, fx_navred
    light.1 = 3, 1.80, 15.55, -0.62, fx_navgre
    light.2 = 3, -19.45, 0.00, 9.95, fx_navwhi
    light.3 = 4, 11.00, 1.50, -1.50, fx_vclight
    light.4 = 4, 11.00, -1.50, -1.50, fx_vclight
    // Afterburner effects which work correctly....with 2 stage burner toggle
    light.5 = 2, -15.50, 0.00, 0.75, fx_JAFO_St1 // 20% throttle ring
    light.6 = 1, -15.60, 0.00, 0.75, fx_JAFO_St2 // 50% throttle burner
    light.7 = 7, 2.0, 0.0, -2.50, fx_ALPHA_F105_Vapour // Vapor stream from intakes
    [SMOKESYSTEM]
    smoke.0 = -25.00, 0.00, 0.75, fx_RAZBAM_Smoke1
    smoke.1 = -30.00, 0.00, 0.75, fx_RAZBAM_Smoke1

Some of the model textures are altered as this new ver doesn't do the 'chrome' the old one did..

There's a slight drawback with that Jafo.. I don't have the ALPHA_F105_Vapour or JAFO_ST1 and ST2 FX files Is there a control gauge for ST1 and ST2 'cause I don't have that either.

I think the 'built-in' effect probably hits FR's too though not by a huge amount. It could be that the on/off effect makes it look like a stutter where none exists. Anyhoo.. to see it gone would be great
    ATB
    DaveB

There's a slight drawback with that Jafo.. I don't have the ALPHA_F105_Vapour or JAFO_ST1 and ST2 FX files Is there a control gauge for ST1 and ST2 'cause I don't have that either.

I think the 'built-in' effect probably hits FR's too though not by a huge amount. It could be that the on/off effect makes it look like a stutter where none exists. Anyhoo.. to see it gone would be great
    ATB
    DaveB
    The Alpha-vapour was from their F105 ...for the wing-root 'glove', and the 'Jafo' ones are just mine set to light up at 'appropriate' throttle openings via some xml gauges in the panel...stuff I've adapted for lots of planes I use.

Main thing is...all the co-ords are already done...so if the 'modelled' effect were to be deleted there can be an easy alternative...I'd just upload the appropriate 'bits'....along with the 2D panel itself...

Took all of 2 seconds...but here's the same skin...with my burner and smoke...in this new model...as mentioned...I've lost the chrome...

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    The Alpha-vapour was from their F105 ...for the wing-root 'glove', and the 'Jafo' ones are just mine set to light up at 'appropriate' throttle openings via some xml gauges in the panel...stuff I've adapted for lots of planes I use.

Main thing is...all the co-ords are already done...so if the 'modelled' effect were to be deleted there can be an easy alternative...I'd just upload the appropriate 'bits'....along with the 2D panel itself...
    Oh yeah.. no doubting it can be done and/or hidden. Looking at the 'use' restrictions Bjoern posted.. I don't see anything to suggest that the native haze effect can't be removed.. all it needs is for someone to remove it. As long as credit is given and the model remains freeware.. job done me thinks

The author had the right idea trying to simulate heat haze though as I'm pretty certain that's all you see out of the jetpipe anyway. They don't smoke much and there's no heat ring either though the effect is nice and adds a bit of interest. TBH.. to see the original effect removed would be enough for me but each to their own

ATB
    DaveB

It's just 'bling' for the deaf...so they know the engine's running...

...and if it burns...it smokes...

Yes indeed! I wasn't suggesting they don't smoke.. just that they don't smoke very much. Compare an L39 to an F86 and the L39 is very definitely clean That's a bonus with the F86 at airshows. While you may lose the aircraft visually from time to time.. you'll never lose it's smoke trail

ATB
    DaveB

Phantoms...86s....Thuds...707s.....they came from a time when smoking was still 'sexy'....and hadn't yet become 'a health hazard'......

Oh.. I agree entirely

EDIT: Add the VC10 (and more) to that list. The VC10 was still very sexy right up to the end.. despite her smoking habit

ATB
    DaveB
    Last edited by DaveB; February 16th, 2015 at 06:45. Reason: Added shot

Copy-paste of what I was using prior to this model updating....

[LIGHTS]
    //Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit
    light.0 = 3, 1.80, -15.55, -0.62, fx_navred
    light.1 = 3, 1.80, 15.55, -0.62, fx_navgre
    light.2 = 3, -19.45, 0.00, 9.95, fx_navwhi
    light.3 = 4, 11.00, 1.50, -1.50, fx_vclight
    light.4 = 4, 11.00, -1.50, -1.50, fx_vclight
    // Afterburner effects which work correctly....with 2 stage burner toggle
    light.5 = 2, -15.50, 0.00, 0.75, fx_JAFO_St1 // 20% throttle ring
    light.6 = 1, -15.60, 0.00, 0.75, fx_JAFO_St2 // 50% throttle burner
    light.7 = 7, 2.0, 0.0, -2.50, fx_ALPHA_F105_Vapour // Vapor stream from intakes
    [SMOKESYSTEM]
    smoke.0 = -25.00, 0.00, 0.75, fx_RAZBAM_Smoke1
    smoke.1 = -30.00, 0.00, 0.75, fx_RAZBAM_Smoke1
    Had to remove all this ^ as the burner shows with the engine shut down, I enjoy the plane and made some nice thumbnails for all the textures.

Oh.. I agree entirely

EDIT: Add the VC10 (and more) to that list. The VC10 was still very sexy right up to the end.. despite her smoking habit

ATB
    DaveB
    DE-RAIL TOPIC-Appology

STILL HARD to UNDERSTAND why almost all the rear engine plane died.Is better with less long gear legs,lighter and less noisy.And yes there is that stall problem of the high elevator.But how many planes really crashed becuase of that

Is it purely fashion or any real reason behind ?

Roland

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Had to remove all this ^ as the burner shows with the engine shut down, I enjoy the plane and made some nice thumbnails for all the textures.
    gray eagle....you need the xml gauges in the panel.cfg as well to control when the effects occur.
    I only posted the lights entry to indicate how I'd already set myself effects without something coded into the model...
    The actual setting would have the 'lights out' at anything less than 20% throttle...

And a skin I did a while ago, too...
    Is this chrome version available? Looks sharp....

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Is this chrome version available? Looks sharp....
    Nope...I painted this about 5 years ago...without the benefit of the paintkit...as at the time I had nothing that would open that ver of psd... so the detail is pretty crappy, and since the fs9 glass had the usual issue in FSX I didn't try harder/again since.
    The new rework of the model has seemingly changed more than just the glass...it's also killed the 'metal' effect too.
    If I can poke and prod the model and restore the 'shine' I'll also clean up the paint to a higher res. and be 'happier' to release it...

I'm in the throes of splitting the paint into layers so each individual detail can be tidied....it's essential when you need an alpha for the metal-vs-paint bits. Back in the day I used to paint things without layers....OK...so I was silly...
    This is still on the old model...haven't looked into the metal on the new one yet..

Are the Thud and Razbam exhaust effects files freeware and can I distribute them with the model?
    If not, alternatives please.

Don't worry about any gauges for triggering the effect, that's a five minute job. I just want .fx files.

This is still on the old model...haven't looked into the metal on the new one yet..
    The material settings are exactly the same.
    If you want to control reflections with the texture's alpha channel, I can implement that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Are the Thud and Razbam exhaust effects files freeware and can I distribute them with the model?

Don't worry about any gauges for triggering the effect, that's a five minute job. I just want .fx files.

If you want to control reflections with the texture's alpha channel, I can implement that.
    Those won't be [pretty sure] but I have my own...and the gauges to suit...
    But the textures on the model are different...look at the two rear end views above...the shiny one is the old...complete with the bad glass...and the grey/dull one is the new...with the fsx-happy glass.
    Both paints are identical.

But the textures on the model are different...look at the two rear end views above...the shiny one is the old...complete with the bad glass...and the grey/dull one is the new...with the fsx-happy glass.
    Both paints are identical.
    Well, with the same settings, FS9 and FSX still treat materials a bit differently.
    Does your paint's textures have an alpha channel?

Regarding the whole effects deal: I want to make you guys work a bit for your own good.

Good Morning Bjoern:

Great job so far on the L-39C - appears to fly very well.. Couple of things I've noticed - doesn't effect the flying at all - they are just visual items - don't know if their on your 'to do' list or even if you have the capabilities to do anything about them but I thought I'd bring them up to you..

1. It appears the elevators are always in a slightly 'up' position even when the controls are neutral - sitting on the ground or flying. I don't know if that's the way there suppose to be or not..

2. It also appears that the elevator 'trim tab' works backwards visually.

Again, these are just visual notices - doesn't effect the flying or the operation of the controls (trim in flight) at all !!

Only other thing I've come across is when I load into a sim (FSX, v1.4 or v2.3), electrical wise it always loads 'hot' ! You can turn things off with the switches in the vc and modifying the a/c config file has no effect - so I was wandering if there was something in the model file that controlled that ..

That's it ! Again, flys great - looking forward to the finished product..

Regards;

Bill

Bjoern..
    I had a look at the freeware section at Virtavia and the Thud is a freebee.. http://www.virtavia.com/Freeware/index.php

ATB
    DaveB

Well, with the same settings, FS9 and FSX still treat materials a bit differently.
    Does your paint's textures have an alpha channel?

Regarding the whole effects deal: I want to make you guys work a bit for your own good.
    The trouble is,,,,BOTH of those images are in FSX. I don't use FS9.
    They BOTH have alphas...because they both are the exact-same paints. I simply have both the original release and this new one running in FSX so the only possible difference is the model file...

Quote Originally Posted by WND View Post
    1. It appears the elevators are always in a slightly 'up' position even when the controls are neutral - sitting on the ground or flying. I don't know if that's the way there suppose to be or not..
    I have no idea either. The elevators being up on the ground with the engine off is standard model behaviour.

2. It also appears that the elevator 'trim tab' works backwards visually.
    They do? I thought I've checked that. Will re-check.

- Edit: They move as they're supposed to.

Only other thing I've come across is when I load into a sim (FSX, v1.4 or v2.3), electrical wise it always loads 'hot' ! You can turn things off with the switches in the vc and modifying the a/c config file has no effect - so I was wandering if there was something in the model file that controlled that ..
    Yeah, might be something in the systems. I want to introduce a custom load/save module later on that will keep track of the custom variables across flightsim sessions.

They BOTH have alphas...because they both are the exact-same paints. I simply have both the original release and this new one running in FSX so the only possible difference is the model file...
    I didn't imply anything else.

I had a look at the freeware section at Virtavia and the Thud is a freebee.. http://www.virtavia.com/Freeware/index.php
    It uses different effects than the redux version (which is still payware).

Members who have read this thread: 3