DoughBree L-39C (FSX) - Page 5
Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891011121315 ... LastLast

Thread: DoughBree L-39C (FSX)

Much of the standard paints are 1024....and the paintkit is 2048 ...so here's a WIP of importing one into the larger format with separated layers for all the tweaks....
    The 'light camo' is plain...the dark has the painted shadow still [which is redundant in Bjoern's FSX ver]...and the alpha is 0,0,0
    Ignore the identity crisis ...

What ifs can be....entertaining.
    OK, so this one isn't going to happen...but it's all fun...

Now that would be a first-class ride!

Fuel governing stuff is implemented now. I have also started a manual, but during writing the systems-related sections, I got sidetracked by the environmental control systems and the NAV radio and...
    So much to do, so little time!

[QUOTE=

Fuel governing stuff is implemented now. I have also started a manual, but during writing the systems-related sections, I got sidetracked by the environmental control systems and the NAV radio and...

So much to do, so little time![/QUOTE]

YA but your doing a FINE job !!! Keep up the good work !!

Bill

The radio system got a complete overhaul. No more NAV1 only, but the whole shaboodle. NAV1, NAV2, ADF, Transponder. All with a single HSI, a single display, a single switch, a single button and two knobs. I'm a bit proud of myself.
    The entire Environmental Control System was also overhauled. The process was a PITA bar none and it's not even really relevant as you don't have to worry about cabin pressure and temperature in a mere flight simulator, but it offers a few more opportunities for warning lights and switch-flicking.

The manual has 22 pages so far. And I'm not done.

The manual has 22 pages so far. And I'm not done.
    No more.. please

ATB
    DaveB

Looking forward to all the new bits in the model...

Meanwhile...am seeing what can be added to the high res paints.....

The Snowbirds was a rework of another's paint...put into the higher res paintkit...
    Here's a Vietnam-inspired colouring - needs details to suit - I'll get around to it eventually...

Blog Entries
    Wow Jafo!!! Bjoern you picked an awesome project...YEEEEEEEEEEEEHAWWWWWWWWWW from Texas!
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Yo Jafo, can I have that SEA paint with a civvie reg?

And that Snowbird paint looks good! Just need to watch out to not pull too many negative Gs (because engine flameout).

Update is coming to a close (I hope).

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Yo Jafo, can I have that SEA paint with a civvie reg?

And that Snowbird paint looks good! Just need to watch out to not pull too many negative Gs (because engine flameout).

Update is coming to a close (I hope).
    Bjoern ...any particular reg number?

Here it is with genuine SEA colours....

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    Bjoern ...any particular reg number?
    Whatever reg google can't find.

N99122 doesn't seem to be taken.

It is done. Fini. Ende. (For now.)

A complete reinstallation (or at least backing up repaints and deleting the L-39C folder) is recommended!

Link, as usual:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6K...ew?usp=sharing
    Read the manual! It's only 26 pages!

I wish not to see this thing for more than an hour per day for the next time. Spending literally every waking second on it over a week was a bit too...intense.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Whatever reg google can't find.

N99122 doesn't seem to be taken.
    Here you go...

Authentic colours for SEA ...with a civie reg .

I probably need a break from this one paintkit too....chasing the 'yellow' trim around the canopy is always a killa ...

A Humble Thanks

While I personally don't have any talent in the bringing of these great aircraft to reality, I would like to THANK ALL THOSE WHO INVEST THERE TIME AND TALENTS IN BRINGING THESE MODELS TO LIFE. YOUR WORK IS APPRECIATED MORE THAN YOU KNOW. THANK YOU !!!

Here's the T-Bird with 'texture' to the metal and the canopy frame stripe...

You guys - this looks amazing.

When my new laptop comes in a week or so, this will be one of the first addons I install!

Hi Bjoern

Yes.. you DO have to read the manual don't you! Having loaded it up first and planning to **** IDC, I found FSX starting with an ini error. This was corrected by reading the manual and finding a folder that needed to be put in the Gauges folder!

Just a couple of things..
    I keep getting a red Cabin Press warning even though the ECS is on and the lever reads pressurized. Turning the ECS lever off then back on clears the Cabin Press warning lamp. From what I can tell.. 'normal' flight doesn't force the warning lamp but doing aero's does. It's not a problem in the grand scale of things.

I've increased the aileron response a little and the elevator response by a smaller degree.. the aileron as I felt the roll-rate as a bit slow and the elevator to help it pull loops a bit easier. The elevator probably wouldn't need touching if the model was a bit faster. Having found and read a pilots report.. it's supposed to be able to pull a 4G loop in around 4000ft with an entry speed of 320kts+. The 320kts+ is eluding me hence a slight increase in elevator response.

All minor stuff really. It's still an immense amount of fun and thanks again for all your effort

ATB
    DaveB

Guys, while you are working with the textures, has anybody tried to produce some bumpmapping ?
    The freeware L-159 has some great bumpmapping on the wings, which produces quite a nice metallic/fresh paint visual effect with the sun reflections:

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    Here you go...

Authentic colours for SEA ...with a civie reg .

I probably need a break from this one paintkit too....chasing the 'yellow' trim around the canopy is always a killa ...
    Thanks!

By the way: Are you doing the textures from the ground up?
    If so, do you want/need bump map support?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Yes.. you DO have to read the manual don't you! Having loaded it up first and planning to **** IDC, I found FSX starting with an ini error. This was corrected by reading the manual and finding a folder that needed to be put in the Gauges folder!
    Told you that you need to ****.

I keep getting a red Cabin Press warning even though the ECS is on and the lever reads pressurized. Turning the ECS lever off then back on clears the Cabin Press warning lamp. From what I can tell.. 'normal' flight doesn't force the warning lamp but doing aero's does. It's not a problem in the grand scale of things.
    As specified in the manual's ECS and Electrical System chapters needs 115V AC from INV I or II.
    Switch on either inverter, then switch the ECS off and on.

If you get the light in-flight, the controller can't keep up with your climb speed.

I've increased the aileron response a little and the elevator response by a smaller degree.. the aileron as I felt the roll-rate as a bit slow and the elevator to help it pull loops a bit easier. The elevator probably wouldn't need touching if the model was a bit faster. Having found and read a pilots report.. it's supposed to be able to pull a 4G loop in around 4000ft with an entry speed of 320kts+. The 320kts+ is eluding me hence a slight increase in elevator response.
    I haven't touched the FDE at all. What values did you set aileron and elevator effectiveness to?

Drag seems to be a bit of an issue for this model, but without any drag polars or hard data, I can't (and won't) touch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    Guys, while you are working with the textures, has anybody tried to produce some bumpmapping ?
    The freeware L-159 has some great bumpmapping on the wings, which produces quite a nice metallic/fresh paint visual effect with the sun reflections:
    There is no bump map support and I can live without them. I'll leave the decision up to Jafo, as he's contributing paints.

Hi Bjoern

Yes.. I had the INV switched on. If you don't.. you get a warning lamp. I had them both on As I mentioned, straight/level flight isn't a problem nor are light manoeuvres.

I didn't have any technical reference for my changed settings. Watching solo displays of the L39, it has a nice crisp roll-rate so for a shot in the dark.. I changed the aileron effectiveness value from 1 to 1.5. This livens it up without turning it into an F-18. The elevator was changed from 1 to 1.3.

Drag is a bit of an issue as you say. It's impossible to get an overspeed in level flight! I guess this isn't surprising as the model was initially FS9 as drag values changed between FS9 and FSX as they did between FS8 and FS9. I can understand you not touching it either as this opens another can of worms!!

As I said though.. it's still a lot of fun and these things don't spoil it in any way. A little more speed or a little less drag would be nice but I can live without either
    ATB
    DaveB

*Sigh*
    I just can't help it. Assigning autopilot functions to the last few empty switches ATM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    As I mentioned, straight/level flight isn't a problem nor are light manoeuvres.
    Do some climbs/decents and watch the differential indicator. The limit for the light is -0.4 and +4 psi. From 6500ft upward, the controller will increase the differential cabin pressure to 3.55 psi, so that's a crucial point.
    I might need to ramp up some proportional values for the pressure controller.

I didn't have any technical reference for my changed settings. Watching solo displays of the L39, it has a nice crisp roll-rate so for a shot in the dark.. I changed the aileron effectiveness value from 1 to 1.5. This livens it up without turning it into an F-18. The elevator was changed from 1 to 1.3.
    I might give these a try and put them into the aircraft.cfg.

Drag is a bit of an issue as you say. It's impossible to get an overspeed in level flight! I guess this isn't surprising as the model was initially FS9 as drag values changed between FS9 and FSX as they did between FS8 and FS9. I can understand you not touching it either as this opens another can of worms!!
    Well, provided that the engine performance is correct, playing around with drag is just half a can of worms. The engine tables in the .air file look a bit dubious though...

The manual suggests an entry speed of 600 km/h for aerobatics. At 4000ft, I can barely manage 500 km/h.
    And then again, the maximum speed of the L-39C is 780 km/h or so...

Members who have read this thread: 3