DoughBree L-39C (FSX) - Page 3
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101113 ... LastLast

Thread: DoughBree L-39C (FSX)

Okay, the elevator thing is fixed. It should be near zero now without any control input.

And since they were no other suggestions regarding engine effects, you'll only get a blue glow at >80% RPM (effect courtesy of the freeware Alphasim Viggen).

I'd have been happy with none Bjoern but blue will do nicely

ATB
    DaveB

You can just kick it out of the aircraft.cfg then, Dave.

Heck no.. you've been good enough to put it in.. it'd be rude not to keep it

ATB
    DaveB

Hiya Bjoern,

Thanks again for all the effort you put in to it!!

Do not know if you did it on purpose, yet the VC does not show the wings(tips), the original model did. Missing them a bit when doing circuits :-)

Marcel

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Well, with the same settings, FS9 and FSX still treat materials a bit differently.
    Does your paint's textures have an alpha channel?
    Bjoern....that comment suggests I get different results in the 2 screencaps because they are taken from within different versions of the sim...ie. FS9 and FSX.
    I probably would, except both images are in FSX and therefore the only thing that is different is your altered model file.

I'll need to load MDLMat and see what's been changed between versions [if/when it works] ...

I was/am waiting till your reworking of the VC was complete before upping what I'd done for the 2D [and effects] as well for those who might like a 'matching' 2D...

Okay, the elevator thing is fixed. It should be near zero now without any control input.

And since they were no other suggestions regarding engine effects, you'll only get a blue glow at >80% RPM (effect courtesy of the freeware Alphasim Viggen).
    Forgot to ask is there a link yet to the revised model?...

I've been working on the model all day and so far, I've fixed the night lighting, removed the engine exhaust effect, added light switches, did something here and there...and broke the startup procedure. Until I get that fixed, I can't upload a new revision.

Quote Originally Posted by mgr View Post
    Do not know if you did it on purpose, yet the VC does not show the wings(tips), the original model did. Missing them a bit when doing circuits :-)
    Intentional; that stuff will be added back in later on.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Heck no.. you've been good enough to put it in.. it'd be rude not to keep it
    Ah, it was enough of a no-brainer that I won't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    I think we're running on two different tracks here. But don't worry, I've put support for reflections into the model now, so once you grab the updated one later on, tell me if I ticked the right checkmark in the material settings.

Alright, new version. Read the readme for this one!

Touchdown sounds for the center landing gear have been temporarily commented out to keep me sane after aircraft reloads. You can reenable them in the sound.cfg.

Link, as usual:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6K...ew?usp=sharing

Upgrade:
    - Transfer any additional paints from the old aircraft.cfg to the new one
    - Remove L39set.cab from \panel subfolder
    - Remove sign0001.bmp, sign0002.bmp, sign0003.bmp from \texture.shared

I simply swapped in the new model files into the previous download...and here's the result.

There's only 3 things that affect the appearance [in a plane without modelled spec and bump files] and that's the image, it's alpha, and what model file it's on.
    The image and alpha have not altered. It's the model rework that has lost the chrome. I can try the alpha darker...the current chrome was from an alpha of 60,60,60....

Correction...was 70,70,70
    Now it's 20,20,20 [on the fuse- haven't done a psd for the wings yet]...and the result is lighter [more reflected light] but absolutely no shine at all, hence it's grey, not chrome...

And here's the exact-same paint on the original unmodded model file...
    ...same alpha at 20,20,20... In both the painted surfaces are at 230,230,230.

I have no idea either. The elevators being up on the ground with the engine off is standard model behaviour.

TRIM TAB

They do? I thought I've checked that. Will re-check.

- Edit: They move as they're supposed to.
    Good Evening Bjoern:

Thank you for looking into those items - I appreciate it.

As far as the 'trim tab' goes, it works fine from the cockpit - and goes up and down 'out back' - it's just 'out back' it's 'animation' is working backwards visually.. Another words in reality, when you ask for 'up' trim from the cockpit, it actually moves the 'tab' downward which in turn moves (forces) the 'main' elevator up which makes the aircraft climb.. (and visa versus for down trim) It actually works opposite of the 'main' elevator ..

It's no big deal - like I said it really doesn't currently effect how the airplane flys - it's just a visual thing and I thought if you where in that area of the model working you could take a look at it and possibly correct it..

Again, thanks for what you've done - now I'm going to download your lastest 'update' !!

Regards;

Bill

Found an entertaining glitch....the female in the rear has an unfortunate head-twitch....looks towards the left.....then turns to look towards the right...then instantly faces front....gotta hurt her neck...
    I'll check the original model....may be inherited...

I've since revised my alpha to get rid of the shiny exhaust tube...so if the chrome effect can be returned it won't be quite as 'clunky'.

Edit...
    Nope...she's fine in the original [comparatively]..

Yes.. I noticed the poor girls twitch!! It won't bother me if it can't be fixed though

The trim gauge is a tricky one. Were it horizontal and on a Brit aircraft.. it would be moving in the right direction.. forward for houses get bigger, back for houses get smaller. With it being vertical, it does give the impression that trim down is trim up but without any knowledge of the real thing.. I couldn't say if how it's been modelled is correct.

V2 looks great without the haze effect. Thanks for that

Great work so far Bjoern
    ATB
    DaveB

OK....don't ask me how I did it...but wrestling with MDLMat....and attempting to get the entrails to 'match' Tim Conrad's A12A Avenger II model specs and I finally got a gloss that should ultimately give me a chrome [or at least a shiny metal].
    This is the fuse_t altered ... and once I do the same for the wing entry I'll be laughing...

Sort of.
    Trial and error really is a....trial...

Quote Originally Posted by WND View Post
    As far as the 'trim tab' goes, it works fine from the cockpit - and goes up and down 'out back' - it's just 'out back' it's 'animation' is working backwards visually.. Another words in reality, when you ask for 'up' trim from the cockpit, it actually moves the 'tab' downward which in turn moves (forces) the 'main' elevator up which makes the aircraft climb.. (and visa versus for down trim) It actually works opposite of the 'main' elevator ..
    I honestly did not know that. No wonder I refrain from modeling trim tabs on my models.

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    Found an entertaining glitch....the female in the rear has an unfortunate head-twitch....looks towards the left.....then turns to look towards the right...then instantly faces front....gotta hurt her neck...
    I'll check the original model....may be inherited...
    I had to redo the head animation in order to avoid it being exactly like the one for the front seater. I'll look into it.

As for the chome, I'll try a different material option.

Different checkbox ticked for the materials, head movement and trimtabs fixed.

And this (VC mode!):

Download, as usual:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6K...ew?usp=sharing

As for the chome, I'll try a different material option.
    Bjoern....you don't need to. I've got it sorted from the lock of it...I have the gloss as it should be...and if I lighten the grey in the 'norm' it'll be spot on.
    Here's the fuse and wings both with the gloss...

I'd tried getting my head around the old fs9 model's glass issues...but you've sorted that with your new model...and once I'd 'matched' some settings with the A12A Avenger's model [I'd already done lots of metal paints for that one] it all came good.
    Now the old machine 'graphically' runs right in FSX....yay...

Bjoern....I like the new texture to the model you just upped...works well as a grey metal but perhaps still a little low on the gloss.
    The girls head doesn't jerk from the right anymore...but she has a rather sudden 'nod' upwards instead...

What proggy do you use to mod the models?

Can I email you my version of your model...and my bitmaps?
    If so...PM me your email addy.
    Later tomorrow I'm off to work at the World Superbikes [at Phillip Island - Oz] so will be away for a few days...

With the v3.. the girls twitch has stopped but she still snaps her head back sharpish.

Notice too that reflections are present on the glass. A consequence of this is I see an odd on/off flicker at the lower/centre of the windshield when the model is simulating vibration on the runway and/or when it gets near the stall. Much prefer the non-reflective glass in v2.

The gear indicator barbers pole is a nice touch

EDIT: Sri.. I misunderstood the comments made about the trim too. Having re-read the post, I see you were referring to the position of the tabs themselves.

ATB
    DaveB
    Last edited by DaveB; February 19th, 2015 at 07:28.

The girls head doesn't jerk from the right anymore...but she has a rather sudden 'nod' upwards instead...
    With the v3.. the girls twitch has stopped but she still snaps her head back sharpish.
    Jesus f++++++ Christ, guys...stop oogling the (co)pilot and fly this thing instead! ;(

What proggy do you use to mod the models?
    I have the source files, so it's GMax.

Can I email you my version of your model...and my bitmaps?
    Nope. It's either my model or bust.

Try to make the alpha channel all black (0,0,0) and see if the reflection burns your eye out.
    I could increse the refelction scale as long as it doesn't have any adverse effect on the non-reflective textures.

Notice too that reflections are present on the glass. A consequence of this is I see an odd on/off flicker at the lower/centre of the windshield when the model is simulating vibration on the runway and/or when it gets near the stall. Much prefer the non-reflective glass in v2.
    VC or external?

hahahahahaha..

The poor girl may have some medical condition that means she can't fly. We just want to be sure

Re the glass.. internal/VC

ATB
    DaveB

I have the source files, so it's GMax.

Nope. It's either my model or bust.
    It is your model only with altered material properties in two sections, namely the wings and fuse.
    If you don't want it that's fine...I'll keep it for myself.
    It just means no-one else will be buzzing around in my Thunderbird skin unless it's dull grey.

Sorry I tried to help.
    Probably best not to release the 2D panel for it either.

Members who have read this thread: 3