DoughBree L-39C (FSX) - Page 18
Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8101112131415161718192021222324252628 ... LastLast

Thread: DoughBree L-39C (FSX)

There are AI painters who are doing nothing but paint AI model over AI model, some even just sticking to a single aircraft model and doing every paint it had ever worn. If you keep this up, you're the first one to attain that status for a user flyable aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    There are AI painters who are doing nothing but paint AI model over AI model, some even just sticking to a single aircraft model and doing every paint it had ever worn. If you keep this up, you're the first one to attain that status for a user flyable aircraft.
    The Russ paint has the line on it...."2900 L39/L59 aircraft in over 25 airforces" [or some such] so I'd be busy for quite a while doing 'em all...particularly with all the private ones...

Once you get 'the hang of' a particular paintkit format it's quite therapeutic to keep on doing them....it's all about the journey, not the destination...

There are several L39 models/aircraft from different people....but this one has the best combination of detail and logical [ish] painting method...and the only real issue was the original paints were 1024 which isn't all that great for a '2 image' plane not made out of a squillion parts.
    The paintkit is at least 2048 for the fuse...which is a step up...but once Matt had done his detail work at 4096 I just HAD TO rework everything to suit....which meant the detail/size doubled for the fuse and quadrupled for the wings.

Frustratingly those first paints I'd uploaded were about as 'good as I could go' with the original sizes...so arguably I need to redo about 5 more to 4096 too...

Once everything is sorted they can be reshrunk to whatever format suits best [though I'll keep flying them full size]. Dithering down is always a better option to fudging up...

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    Once everything is sorted they can be reshrunk to whatever format suits best [though I'll keep flying them full size]. Dithering down is always a better option to fudging up...
    Very true (but usually work intensive).

The real time consumer is when you are working from an existing paint...and assume some form of symmetry....and it's actually not there.

The detailed mapping of the image parts onto the model is not uniformly symmetrical. The latest paint I'm doing shows it all too painfully.

The fuse zig-zag pattern [bird tail] that crosses the tail fin in the original low res paint was decidedly lop-sided [asymmetrical] and when you actually correct that to what it should be you find the left side bitmap does not map the same as the right side.

Then you need to grab the right bit and drag it screaming into correct alignment....the paint becomes entirely different.
    Check the circled bits....noting the top is [now] symmetrical about its centreline.

Here's one from me... OK-GXA

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WIP.jpg  

Probably will all go unnoticed...but am almost done with the fuse....and it's pretty close to symmetrical.

The wings 'should' be a doddle....much simpler mapping...

I think it's about done....either that or I'm about done....

If I can find a high res detail of what the pattern is on the tail I'll redo that...

Yeah, paint symmetry is always an issue. But my hands are tied, for fear of breaking other paints.

Yep....can't change the paint layout now. It seems that each new paint shows up more oddities....particularly this one...with so many lines crossing bitmap parts.
    Anyway...it's finished.
    Next one will be simple...for a change...

throttle oscillation?

Lovely aircraft. Kudos to all involved. I downloaded what I hope is the latest iteration. It looks and flies well but in the VC I see the throttle/power control lever fluttering. I don't see too much movement on the N1 and N2 gauge but I don't seem to get 100% power. I use FSUIPC. I don't have this problem on my other aircraft such as the Bronco X and Twin Otter X. I don't fly any other jets.

Any body else seen a similar problem?

Obie

Obie...no, I haven't....but Bjoern's the one who will be able to help...

Meanwhile....
    Found a side-on photo....stuck it into the kit....step 1 of the next critter...

Quote Originally Posted by Obie311 View Post
    Lovely aircraft. Kudos to all involved. I downloaded what I hope is the latest iteration. It looks and flies well but in the VC I see the throttle/power control lever fluttering. I don't see too much movement on the N1 and N2 gauge but I don't seem to get 100% power. I use FSUIPC. I don't have this problem on my other aircraft such as the Bronco X and Twin Otter X. I don't fly any other jets.

Any body else seen a similar problem?
    Both problems: ****.

Both problems: ****.
    <Big Smiley Face> Thanks Bjoern. You sounded like my instructor except he usually followed the **** with a demeaning expletive. So even though I wasn't officially overtemp (annunciator light) I was right on the edge. Understood. I will allow more margin in the future.

But what's with the 35 hour MTBF? These are supposed to be 1000 TBO engines. This could be some expensive flying in the RW. Anybody ever see an operating cost/hr (including engine reserve) for these beautiful birds?

Obie

Quote Originally Posted by Obie311 View Post
    Thanks Bjoern. You sounded like my instructor except he usually followed the **** with a demeaning expletive. So even though I wasn't officially overtemp (annunciator light) I was right on the edge. Understood. I will allow more margin in the future.

But what's with the 35 hour MTBF? These are supposed to be 1000 TBO engines. This could be some expensive flying in the RW. Anybody ever see an operating cost/hr (including engine reserve) for these beautiful birds?
    Also: Throttle lock.

No one is going to fly this thing for 1000 hours. So why bother implementing realistic MTBF Values?

Baltic Bees is coming along....almost finished the fuse....only the nose and mouth to go.....then it's the wings...

Finished.....

Needs pilots doing though....

Pilots doing what...having fun, of all things?! *squints*

Pilots doing what...having fun, of all things?! *squints*
    Oh yes....have them holding signs up saying...'help...we're stuck over YMML getting repainted!!!!" ...

I meant...give 'em yellow helmets and blue suits..[which I have done]...

Oh yes....have them holding signs up saying...'help...we're stuck over YMML getting repainted!!!!" ...

I meant...give 'em yellow helmets and blue suits..[which I have done]...
    I see. Phew! Nothing worse than having to shout at pilots to not have fun while flying!

Also: Throttle lock.

No one is going to fly this thing for 1000 hours. So why bother implementing realistic MTBF Values?
    erm..... i'm at 243 Hours already best not to ask how i've amassed that.... weekends though i can regularly be touring with friends online and it's ALWAYS the -39C i take.... even on long trips.... Cologne to Dubai was a recent, with refuelling stops en-route....

I must be mad!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Wynn View Post
    erm..... i'm at 243 Hours already best not to ask how i've amassed that.... weekends though i can regularly be touring with friends online and it's ALWAYS the -39C i take.... even on long trips.... Cologne to Dubai was a recent, with refuelling stops en-route....

I must be mad!
    I'm still above YMML [Melbourne Airport] still painting. I did get off the runway at least....too many AIs were queuing up behind me...

Time for an easy one...on the way...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Wynn View Post

I must be mad!
    Still, 30 hours MTBF keeps things mildly more interesting.
    "Sorry guys, gotta land and fix the engine!"

oh now you've tempted fate! do i risk another flight or do i hangar her for a week while the engine is repaired.....

decisions.... decisions......

Members who have read this thread: 3