DoughBree L-39C (FSX) - Page 17
Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 791011121314151617181920212223242527 ... LastLast

Thread: DoughBree L-39C (FSX)

It's a nice scheme that one. Looks pretty darned good having been dragged into the world of 4096 too
    ATB
    DaveB

Goody, goody!

(I, however, do have to admit that I'm probably going to crushing them down to 2048 either for personal use or to keep the download as lean as possible.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Goody, goody!

(I, however, do have to admit that I'm probably going to crushing them down to 2048 either for personal use or to keep the download as lean as possible.)
    Have you considered using an auto installer? You could allow for the option for both x2048 and x4096
    It has many benefits with keeping the download size on the lower end of things...

If you would like I could help you with this?

Many Thanks
    Jamessx

These skins are still 'on the go' [waiting for the text-note details]... and are currently extended bitmaps [8,8,8] which at 4096 makes them 65,537 kb ... [big] but they're 'loss-less' that way until completion. Then they'll be flipped into DXT5 dds to lighten the load. Then they'll be a quarter the 'weight' at 16,385 .

If you shrink them to 2048 you'll lose the 'per-pixel' clarity through whatever 'dither' is used..... kinda counter-productive..... and you'll never really know whether or not that note on the fuse says "WARNING This Airplane contains a canopy release containing an explosive charge' or 'FOR a good time ring 555 123456 and ask for Trixie'....

Here's the 'BA' one complete...

Next to do is the included Lithuanian one...
    Strangely, this is what I got loading the as yet unaltered skin....
    ....seems the wings are a bit 'tired and emotional' ...

All the same it's the 1024 res with painted shadows, etc....what I start with to do the HD vers...

Edit .... the images are DDS but the wings were not upside down but bmp orientation...

25 minutes later...and the wings are the right way round...and the fuse is now HD and roughed fill-in 'flat' textures [non-shadow]. Lots to do yet, of course...

Quote Originally Posted by jamessx View Post
    Have you considered using an auto installer? You could allow for the option for both x2048 and x4096
    It has many benefits with keeping the download size on the lower end of things...

If you would like I could help you with this?
    No auto-installers. They are okay for payware, but they are doing nothing for furthering people's aptitude with handling simple "Read The F'in Instructions" and file and folder movement tasks.

I'd love to use .7z as an archive format as it compresses way better than .zip, but then I'd get tons of questions akin to "Why can't I open this?!"...

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    These skins are still 'on the go' [waiting for the text-note details]... and are currently extended bitmaps [8,8,8] which at 4096 makes them 65,537 kb ... [big] but they're 'loss-less' that way until completion. Then they'll be flipped into DXT5 dds to lighten the load. Then they'll be a quarter the 'weight' at 16,385 .

If you shrink them to 2048 you'll lose the 'per-pixel' clarity through whatever 'dither' is used..... kinda counter-productive..... and you'll never really know whether or not that note on the fuse says "WARNING This Airplane contains a canopy release containing an explosive charge' or 'FOR a good time ring 555 123456 and ask for Trixie'....
    Well, I'd include 2048 versions of the defaults and you can just offer a 4096 replacement version of these skins here in the library. All people would have to do then is overwrite the default bitmaps and be done with it.

I don't care much for user aircraft texture resolution when all other aircraft in the smulator are using 1024x1024 textures.
    The current memory load per paint (minus shared textures) at 1024 px is 2.6 MB. Even compressed to DXT5, each 4096 paint (two main textures per paint plus a spec and bump map for each) would take up to 2*3*16=96 MB, while a 2048 paint only comes in at 2*3*4=24 MB. At 5 default paints, a 4096 version would amount to 480 MB for the repaints alone while the 2048 versions are 120 MB. At an overall compression ratio for .zip for around 50%, a download with 4096 px paints would amount to around 280 MB while for 2048, it's only 104 MB. Now imagine that I have to upload this to a limited amount of webspace every time I modify the release package and you can see why I am NOT a fan of legible "555-CALL ME" stickers on aircraft!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    No auto-installers. They are okay for payware, but they are doing nothing for furthering people's aptitude with handling simple "Read The F'in Instructions" and file and folder movement tasks.

I'd love to use .7z as an archive format as it compresses way better than .zip, but then I'd get tons of questions akin to "Why can't I open this?!"...

Well, I'd include 2048 versions of the defaults and you can just offer a 4096 replacement version of these skins here in the library. All people would have to do then is overwrite the default bitmaps and be done with it.

I don't care much for user aircraft texture resolution when all other aircraft in the smulator are using 1024x1024 textures.
    The current memory load per paint (minus shared textures) at 1024 px is 2.6 MB. Even compressed to DXT5, each 4096 paint (two main textures per paint plus a spec and bump map for each) would take up to 2*3*16=96 MB, while a 2048 paint only comes in at 2*3*4=24 MB. At 5 default paints, a 4096 version would amount to 480 MB for the repaints alone while the 2048 versions are 120 MB. At an overall compression ratio for .zip for around 50%, a download with 4096 px paints would amount to around 280 MB while for 2048, it's only 104 MB. Now imagine that I have to upload this to a limited amount of webspace every time I modify the release package and you can see why I am NOT a fan of legible "555-CALL ME" stickers on aircraft!
    Bjoern ...if you're wishing to use these 'reworked' defaults as part of your package I'd certainly shrink them to 2048 for you to be sure they're a smaller download. I do get a bit complacent re graphic load as my machine is somewhat 'high-end' [as a home build it cost me just over $7k AUD].

Re the legible stickers...you don't need to read them because you have all the '555-CALL ME' stickers as fridge magnets...

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    Bjoern ...if you're wishing to use these 'reworked' defaults as part of your package I'd certainly shrink them to 2048 for you to be sure they're a smaller download. I do get a bit complacent re graphic load as my machine is somewhat 'high-end' [as a home build it cost me just over $7k AUD].
    Thanks!

My PC isn't the worst either, but efficiency is still the ultimate goal. (Remember, I'm german. And an engineer. So it's efficiency to the power of efficiency!)

Re the legible stickers...you don't need to read them because you have all the '555-CALL ME' stickers as fridge magnets...
    Heh. Heheh. Hehehehehehe.

Gotta research some more specifics...but here's the Lithuanian one almost done...

Colours were 'picked' from the flatter ends of the original paint...but as yet I'm not all that confident they are right...

Another 'default' on the go...

Before and after [1024 vs 4096]...

Still on the Breitling....with such a 'prominent' colour I'm trying to find some genuine RGB values...
    Got the yellow [250,210,1] but no luck so far on the blue.
    Text font was no issue....just the tail artwork to do...

Tail's done...yellow is right...small tweaks to do re notes etc...
    Not sure if it's fair-dinkum but the aircraft in the tail logo I used the L39 actual planform. If you look close they have wing pitots...

This has to be one of the best 1024's I've come across....here it is totally original apart from repeated bitmaps renamed to specs...and it looks quite classy.

Of course...now that Bjoern has got the critter into FSX natively there's no need for the painted shadows...so I'll remake it...

Finding some of the graphics is a pain....apart from a sew-on patch and a low res mono graphic I can't find the Logo For the RUSS aerobatic team for the tail....and had to draw the text on the sides from scratch....

Still gotta get rid of the jaggies on the linework yet...

Done the jaggies...and found a 'RUSS Virtual Display Team' logo that's essentially the same....provided you don't read the text... [one of the benefits of 1024....as the existing paint also has the 'wrong' [but different] text].

Here t'is sort of finished....

If I ever find a correct logo I'll swap it in...

Redid all the texts...and found a fair-dinkum RUSS logo for the tail. Now it's finished...

Time to find another...

Jafo, just PM'ed you a link to the Fuselage and wing decal sheets for the Czech and VVS (Russian) L-39's.....

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Wynn View Post
    Jafo, just PM'ed you a link to the Fuselage and wing decal sheets for the Czech and VVS (Russian) L-39's.....
    Got 'em, Matt... and for all those interested....they're superb. [Matt does good 'stuff'] ...

Can't wait to add 'em to my 'kit' ...

First go with Matt's fine details....all the bling to tell you what to do with what [assuming you read Russian]....really breathes the details of 'life' into the paint...

Had to do a reboot...darn Win updates....

So here's the same animal at dusk...YMML...

Next one on the go...
    Going to tack a bit of work to 'clean it up' [sharpen details for 4096]...
    Already done a fair bit on the fuse...not touched the wings yet.

Members who have read this thread: 3