Plane Design Spitfire XVI Working in FSX - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plane Design Spitfire XVI Working in FSX

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceWeevil View Post
    If that's the case, I wonder if it would make a difference re-saving the offending textures without the alpha channel? I remember being advised to do something similar in the cockpit of the 'old' A2A Mustang before it was properly patched to FSX.
    Tried that. Made it worse.

The detail on the needles is in the alpha and not the main image (if that makes any sense), so when you remove the alpha all the needles turn into blocks and rectangles. Still got the flickering. I even experimented with saving the texture file to DXT3 with no improvement.

Maybe the problem is not with the texture but with the mapping?? I'll have to load up my PD Spit in FS9 and make a comparison. ..as time permits, of course.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Eddies doing well stateside, I chat to him on/off possibly once a month as little catch ups. Ill point him toward this thread, I get the impression he would like to return to MSFS dev but as noted its finding the time. I still poke at him about it every time we chat

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis-A2A View Post
    Eddies doing well stateside, I chat to him on/off possibly once a month as little catch ups. Ill point him toward this thread, I get the impression he would like to return to MSFS dev but as noted its finding the time. I still poke at him about it every time we chat
    That would be grand - it would be nice for him to know how much people still appreciate his creations. I think (personal opinion only) that you can the count the number of FS Spitfires that look and sit this well on one hand, possibly with some fingers cut off...(I am including A2A's!)

I just became aware of this Spit thanks to this thread. I would be one of the first in line to purchase a native FSX bird.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Hi Bill

Yup.. it was a shame he was pulled away though I understand his reasons for stepping back. I still have a beta of his Avro York and kept all the betas of the Spit and Lancaster. Don't have the heart to throw them away.. just in case Many have said how they'd love to have the Lancaster and Lancastrian re-done to FSX format and I can't argue with that

ATB
    DaveB
    +1

I was doing some early testing on Ed's FSX version of the Lancaster and I can tell you it was going to be awesome. I know he still tinkers with it, but as others have said, it's all a case of finding the time.

I still fly his FS9 Lanc in FSX as my main a/c. The textures (particularly the interior) look a bit dated of course, but for my money it is still the best Lanc produced for FS.

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    It's okay, guys. I think I can handle it from here.

I'd forgotten how beautiful this model is. Having fun trying to get it to work properly is FSX. WarHorse how did you get the canopy open? I've tried the spoiler key as advised in the manual but it refuses to open. Also, any luck curing the VC needle issues. I'm trying but no luck so far :-(

Taff.
    The grass is always greener on the other side...

But, it's just as hard to mow!

Taff,

The spoiler key works for me. Check to see if its still assigned to the speed brake.

No solution found for the VC needles. I tried a multitude of different things with the texture files but no joy.
    -- WH

Taff,

The spoiler key works for me. Check to see if its still assigned to the speed brake.

No solution found for the VC needles. I tried a multitude of different things with the texture files but no joy.
    Thanks, got it working now. I've been tweaking the aircraft.cfg file and had turned the spoiler off in there! No wonder I couldn't get it to work

I am very much enjoying this airplane and the paintkit ;-)

If you love the PD Spitfire then you may want to track down a DVD called "SPITFIRE, The Year is 1940, The Time is Now" produced by ClassicPictures.co.uk that features a segment on Kermit Weeks flying the Fantasy of Flight Spitfire that I highly recommend.
    -- WH

If you love the PD Spitfire then you may want to track down a DVD called "SPITFIRE, The Year is 1940, The Time is Now" produced by ClassicPictures.co.uk that features a segment on Kermit Weeks flying the Fantasy of Flight Spitfire that I highly recommend.
    Thanks for the HU on the DVD WarHorse.

If however you can't get the DVD, the segment of Kermit Weeks flying TE476 (with some nice cockpit footage) is on YouTube: -

Good to see the PD Spitfire XVI in FSX.

Might have to dust off mine and give it ago with the modded files!

Cheers

Paul

Not seen that before. The sound is a bit ropey and the quality of video isn't exactly HD but a good way to spend 40-odd minutes none the less

ATB
    DaveB

I think there's some life in this model yet and a few repaints to be considered, for example...

I might give this conversion a try.

I was wondering, however, if someone could post the other texture files needed: propdisc.bmp, propslow.bmp, vcglass.bmp and vcperspex.bmp.

The instruction say "You must find then on the web or used by another airplanes", but since there are four files I would hope that someone already has done this?

Just thought I'd ask...
    I know it's an old thread but I just bought this Spit and are having the same issues...did you find any textures to fix the issue?

Thanks
    Jamie

EDIT: I figured out how to do the textures and they work fine
    Last edited by JamieC; January 23rd, 2021 at 07:20.

Members who have read this thread: 3