Deadline Is Getting Close - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Deadline Is Getting Close

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    I'm really torn on the issue.

On one hand, covering hosting costs entirely by donations is a noble thing as it avoids spamming the page with advertisements and - nowadays - any pop-up windows complaining about adblocking browser plugins. There are forums for a lot of stuff and, in the rare case that I need it, there's a fast library available (once you figure out how to properly search it for stuff).

But...

Why can't I donate less than $10?
    At the current exchange rate, $10 amounts to about three days worth of groceries for me. I'd chip in $5 as a symbolic goodwill contribution without any questions asked whatsoever, but $10? Sorry, no.
    Maybe making the least possible contribution $5 might make other - non-regular - members donate as well.

Why do I have to pay for a lot of stuff that costs space and bandwidth, but which I don't use?
    News forum, political forum, flight center for the CFS crowd, teamspeak server, file attachments in the forums, etc...

What would I get from a contribution? What will happen if the target amount can't be attained?
    From what I read, this year's drive is mostly about server upgrades, so it's mostly a one-time cost, right?
    Assuming that the target is met, will there be an effort to restructure and downsize as well so that next year's drive will, at best, only cover bandwidth costs and any emergency upgrades?
    And what will happen if the goal isn't met? I know you guys are makeing plans for this case, but there hasn't been any announcement yet. Postponement of less necessary upgrades? Bandwidth restrictions for downloads? "Leech" user titles for non-donors? Banners and pop-up windows EVERYWHERE?

Enough questions. I'll now curl up in a corner and await a beating from the rest of you people.
    Here is the alternate donation path link

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...nation-Methods

Simply mail Ickie the equivalent of $5 in your native currency and he will nail it to his wall and make you a charter member.

Everyone's donation goes to support the part of the site they frequent. As a collective whole we get more for everyone. Start segmenting it out and everything will end up failing.
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    I'm really torn on the issue.

On one hand, covering hosting costs entirely by donations is a noble thing as it avoids spamming the page with advertisements and - nowadays - any pop-up windows complaining about adblocking browser plugins. There are forums for a lot of stuff and, in the rare case that I need it, there's a fast library available (once you figure out how to properly search it for stuff).

But...

Why can't I donate less than $10?
    At the current exchange rate, $10 amounts to about three days worth of groceries for me. I'd chip in $5 as a symbolic goodwill contribution without any questions asked whatsoever, but $10? Sorry, no.
    Maybe making the least possible contribution $5 might make other - non-regular - members donate as well.

Why do I have to pay for a lot of stuff that costs space and bandwidth, but which I don't use?
    News forum, political forum, flight center for the CFS crowd, teamspeak server, file attachments in the forums, etc...

What would I get from a contribution? What will happen if the target amount can't be attained?
    From what I read, this year's drive is mostly about server upgrades, so it's mostly a one-time cost, right?
    Assuming that the target is met, will there be an effort to restructure and downsize as well so that next year's drive will, at best, only cover bandwidth costs and any emergency upgrades?
    And what will happen if the goal isn't met? I know you guys are makeing plans for this case, but there hasn't been any announcement yet. Postponement of less necessary upgrades? Bandwidth restrictions for downloads? "Leech" user titles for non-donors? Banners and pop-up windows EVERYWHERE?

Enough questions. I'll now curl up in a corner and await a beating from the rest of you people.
    Hmmm, so $10 equates to three days groceries! You obviously do not live in the UK. £6.50 will not even get me two beers lol.

Have just made my second donation of $20 although I do not know how much would take me to the exalted rank of 'Charter Member 2015' instead of 'SOH-CM-2015'!

I spend on average about $20 when I buy a payware sim product so this cause is worth at least that to me.

Actually 'SOH-CM-2015' is just an abbreviation for 'Charter Member 2015'... means the same. At any rate, thanks for your contribution to SOH. There is no such thing as an insignificant contribution... every little bit helps. If others would pitch in and give as much as you have, the SOH would be in "fat city"! lol...

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Threw in a small second donation. I hope we can reach the goal or at least get very close to it

Hm, quote function seems to be broken for me...

You're seriously a downer dude lol. Do you ever look at the upside of anything?
    My shrink tried to make me. With lukewarm success when in the outside world.
    Flight Simulation, however...

Here is the alternate donation path link

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...nation-Methods

Simply mail Ickie the equivalent of $5 in your native currency and he will nail it to his wall and make you a charter member.
    Nothing Paypal-based?

Hmmm, so $10 equates to three days groceries! You obviously do not live in the UK. £6.50 will not even get me two beers lol.
    I'm neither talking organic "Fair Trade" kind of groceries nor 24/7 ramen, but discount groceries. ALDI, etc...

Just found this out

PayPal charges us $2 on a $5 dollar donation where as they only charge 10% on a $10 donation.

$10 is the point of diminishing returns.
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerousdave26 View Post
    Just found this out

PayPal charges us $2 on a $5 dollar donation where as they only charge 10% on a $10 donation.

PayPal also rip off the donor by applying a exchange rate less than the current market rate. The current rate for £ Sterling is $1.53 however I was given £1.47 by PayPal.

I see that we are now at 80% of the contribution goal.

Can someone translate that for me? How much more is needed and by when?

I'd do my own calculations, but I'd rather save that effort for flying.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Maths has never been my strong point but I think it's short by $2600 (10400 raised)

ATB
    DaveB

PayPal also rip off the donor by applying a exchange rate less than the current market rate. The current rate for £ Sterling is $1.53 however I was given £1.47 by PayPal.
    You may see it as a rip-off but it's, in reality, the cost of doing business. First, the 'market rate' is/was $1.53 but here is what xe.com says by way of explanation:
    "The rates in our free information services are neither "buy" nor "sell" rates. Instead, they are mid-market rates derived from the mid-point between the "buy" and "sell" rates from global currency markets. Our free information services always list the mid-market rate because it indicates the value of a currency that is not weighted towards buying or selling."Buy" and "sell" rates include overheads and profit margins that are independently set by foreign exchange providers; their rates can vary a lot and will differ from the mid-market rate, so we recommend you shop around."

All financial institutions will charge to cover costs and to make a profit (that's why they are in business). The credit card companies will charge a premium or surcharge for international purchases (1.5 - 3.5% in many cases) that shows when you get your statement. With the current increase in diligence, record keeping and reporting resulting from the Anti-Money Laundering & Anti-Terrorist Financing legislations we're lucky that there are still places that want the business (and there are many who gave up because of the costs and legal risks).
    Paypal is not the be-all-and-end-all. There are other organizations that do the same but we have been inundated by their promotional skills. If someone finds a more secure option that is as easy (and cheaper?) I'm sure Ron et al would find a way to make it work.

The amounts we deal with here are miniscule and I agree, every penny seems like a small stab wound both at the donor's end and to SOH, but I would hope a few cents on a dollar wouldn't deter people from contributing, nor should we give people excuses for not making the effort.

We've also talked about comparing donations or a lack thereof to the amount simmers spend for add-ons and that's a valid discussion. What about the amount people spend on more and more expensive systems to run their preferred version of flight sim? I'd hazard a guess that if 5% of all those yearly expenditures by members was diverted to the donation drive we'd be well-funded for years to come. Oh yeah, those hardware bits (unless you live in the original country of manufacture) have currency exchange, taxes and duty attached long before the bits get into one's basement sim-pit. It may not feel great, but it's part and parcel of living in a global community.

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Maths has never been my strong point but I think it's short by $2600 (10400 raised)

ATB
    DaveB
    So... Stovall's post was on January 26th, which means we have to raise the additional $2600 by February 16th or thereabouts...
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

My eyes glazed over 3 lines into post #60.....
    ....but it's Friday night....red wine and such...so it's not all the fault of economics....

All I know is the Aussie dollar is 4 fifths of bugger-all at the moment....or actually 4 fifths of a USD for that matter...

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerousdave26 View Post
    Just found this out

I see. Thanks.

Third donation made. But that is it from me.
    Needless to say that the first time when I log into the site and I see banners and other commercial **********, I will be seething!

I've been following this thread regularly and have seen pensioners donating, retired servicemen and what not. Even unemployed people for crying out loud! Not exactly people who have enough money to throw out of the windows.

Sooooo.... people who do have the money to buy (expensive) addons, but don't see fit to donate deserve just one name: leeches! Sucking the life blood out of a community but not willing to contribute... Hell, they could be banksters!

*soapbox mode off*

Dumonceau

Third time for me, too.

Dave

All you fantastic members who have contributed, once, twice or even three times make us proud to be staff here at the Outhouse

We will continue somehow but we're not giving up hope that we may get closer to the goal amount.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Contributed again...bloody exchange rate is a killer....

What the heck, I'll give some more!

CHEERS ALL!

Jim

If it is still open i will contribute again on Thursday.

Anthin.

Will contribute again when I get paid next week also!!!
    Marvin Carter
    No matter how hard you try, you can't baptize cats.

I'm also in for a third round. Initially I wanted to spend the money on a new addon aircraft, but thought what the heck, spending the same amount for our cause here does more good.

Cheers,
    Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Third round donation posted.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

My third round brings me to 1% of the total, so all we need is another 99 idiots like me.....
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    My third round brings me to 1% of the total, so all we need is another 99 idiots like me.....
    Well here's one of them - third time lucky, I hope...

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceWeevil View Post
    Well here's one of them - third time lucky, I hope...
    "Idiot" sounds just fine to me, so count me in. Here's my #3 to top off at 1%. Thanks for the nudge.

Tom
    HP Z420 E5-1660 @ 3.3gHz 6-core running Win 7 64 pro, 8 Gb RAM, EVGA GTX-970, 2 x 240GB SSDs, 3 x HP 2311x (23") w/ Matrox TH2G, plus a lot of Saitek/Logitech stuff to go with it
    ATP, CFI A & I, ME (but not current)

Members who have read this thread: 2