Networked/Online FSX Question?

Thread: Networked/Online FSX Question?

Networked/Online FSX Question?

Never used FSX online. Brother now moved in upstairs with FSX PC too. Can we connect DIRECTLY through the router WITHOUT having to go through an online server?

Ta!
    If you know the avatar, you know the man!
    M/B: Asus Z170 Deluxe - CPU: i7 6700k - RAM: 16Gb Corsair DDR4 3200mhz - Vid: Asus GTX970
    Windows 10 (x64) on M.2 SSD - FS Software on: Sata SSD

Quote Originally Posted by dougal95 View Post
    Never used FSX online. Brother now moved in upstairs with FSX PC too. Can we connect DIRECTLY through the router WITHOUT having to go through an online server?
    Ta!
    I believe one of you would still have to act as a server and have the other log into that ISP. The basics of it are explained in the "Multiplayer" section when you load FSX I think. Using a router can be a pain because you have to be sure certain ports are open otherwise others can't log in. I haven't done it in so long that I've forgotten how but I think you just input your ISP number, log in as the server and let him know what your ISP is and he logs onto your PC. I use FSHost Client for online flying now.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    I believe one of you would still have to act as a server and have the other log into that ISP. The basics of it are explained in the "Multiplayer" section when you load FSX I think. Using a router can be a pain because you have to be sure certain ports are open otherwise others can't log in. I haven't done it in so long that I've forgotten how but I think you just input your ISP number, log in as the server and let him know what your ISP is and he logs onto your PC. I use FSHost Client for online flying now.
    Ok thanks. The reason I ask, is that our broadband connection is not exactly very errr.... broard;-) Sometimes the ping speeds are as low as 40ms
    M/B: Asus Z170 Deluxe - CPU: i7 6700k - RAM: 16Gb Corsair DDR4 3200mhz - Vid: Asus GTX970

It would be much simpler if your computers are both connected on the same LAN. Do you have different connections?

No port forwarding would be needed if they are on the same LAN. If not, for direct IP to IP connection the ports 6112 to 6122 (TCP and UDP) will need to be forwarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    It would be much simpler if your computers are both connected on the same LAN. Do you have different connections?

No port forwarding would be needed if they are on the same LAN. If not, for direct IP to IP connection the ports 6112 to 6122 (TCP and UDP) will need to be forwarded.
    Not sure I FULLY understand... I *THINK* we're both on the same LAN. Both on Windows7, and both in the same 'workgroup'.

We could always make a direct connection with an RJ45 'crossover' cable. Would that work?

Well it looks like you are indeed on the same LAN. If I remember there is a specific setting in the multiplayer screen about this but I am not on my FSX rig right now. I'll check later and get back to you.

Just use the Local network (LAN) option instead of GameSpy:

Yep, exactly like orionll posted.

The host will create a session in the LAN and normally this would be visible to the other one on the same LAN. Let us know if it works for you.

Members who have read this thread: 0