A question!

Thread: A question!

A question!

Hi. Someone of you surely knows that i am repainter. My works are principally for FSX. Now i ask all the other painters if the know a technique to use for paint bare metal paints:

An example here:

I use Paint.NET

THANKS FOR THE HELP :thumbup:
    Miro

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 GHz, AMD (GigaByte) Radeon R9 280X Series @ 3GB Video, ATI Radeon SoundCard, GigaByte FX-990GAUD, Samsung 840EVO SSD @ 120GB, WD Caviar Blue @ 1TB

Quote Originally Posted by mirage3 View Post
    Hi. Someone of you surely knows that i am repainter. My works are principally for FSX. Now i ask all the other painters if the know a technique to use for paint bare metal paints:

An example here:

I use Paint.NET

THANKS FOR THE HELP :thumbup:
    You know, I used to be pretty good at bare metal. If you look at avsim.com on my name, you will see a lot of bare metal birds! in FS9, metal was basically done through manipulation of the alpha channel. My best technique was making a black and white negative of the main image then pasting that into the alpha channel, I would then manipulate light and dark to get the effects I wanted. With FSX, this has changed as now there are specular files as well involved. Not quite sure how they work as I havent painted any metal in some time.

I use photoshop as well.

Eric

I remember "Aluminum Overcast" Eric.

I believe that full on chrome effect in FsX requires manipulation of the model as well as darkening of the alpha and lightening of the spec textures.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

So there aren't "prefabricated" aluminium or metal textures to put on a new layer?
    Miro

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 GHz, AMD (GigaByte) Radeon R9 280X Series @ 3GB Video, ATI Radeon SoundCard, GigaByte FX-990GAUD, Samsung 840EVO SSD @ 120GB, WD Caviar Blue @ 1TB

Usually very glossy, shines a lot!

As Roger said and only from models which have "shine" enabled. Otherwise the alphas will make the model transparent.

My advice: Download one of John "Bomber_12th" Terrell's shiny T-6 repaints and study the alphas and spec maps.

Cheers,
    Huub

Miro, it's a combination of specular map and diffuse alpha layers........ and the aircraft model design, and that is most important as if it doesn't support metal shine, it's a no go.

Hank

Thanks. I was thinking if maybe The SkySim Miro 3 does support that functions. You know, before being painted in the camo scheme (and be fitted with canard wings) were painted only in bare metal
    Miro

Members who have read this thread: 0