64bit P3D News

Thread: 64bit P3D News

64bit P3D News

Okay, hence the title such seems a bit of exciting news but let me break this down for those who have not heard. I saw the Frooglesim news a little while ago and saw a bit of additional information on this from two other sources. While there's been a good bit of talk about this for some time now, there's been plenty of doubt on the subject as well but here's what came out. Apparently there will be a 64bit version of P3D coming not too far off and some FSX/P3D software makers are already planning to update their products to be compatible with a 64bit P3D platform. In PMDG's latest announcement, they are migrating their 777 into P3D soon and will follow with all of their other products including the forthcoming 747v2 version. Buried in this announcement was that a 64bit platform compatible upgrade will be made available free of charge when the time comes. So yes, it seems there is definitely forward movement on at least a 64bit version of P3D which hopefully may find a home in an FSX retro-update at some point or perhaps reignite a move towards an ultimate (final) version on the Steam platform. I suspect there will be a major announcement forthcoming during the year on the P3D front regarding this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I came back to P3D in the last two weeks (before I had a bad experience) - installed v2.4 and P3D works now very well and looks simply splendidly (shadows from clouds, lightning, no OOM, stable FPS, no blurries, white loading boxes ect - all "features" of FSX ;> ). Just menu still is from the moon... (who is composing?). For civil aviation like VFR its a very good choice (for military still FSX+TacPack).

Click for bigger version:

64bits? It will be so sweet than true....

Just a big question - what with 32bits addons from FSX/P3D1/P3D2.
    Last edited by YoYo; January 11th, 2015 at 11:56.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

There's no question, a 64bit upgrade will require major changes to core utilities and gauges but logically, going forward with this would certainly entail the means for developers to migrate their products. The move is logical from the standpoint that FSX as it stands is more or less running out of time whilst other platforms are starting to really take off into new territory. I welcome the plans even though there is likely going to be some growing pains associated with the move but then again, the move from FS9 to FSX was long and in many cases considerably painful for many. I think the resurgence in FSX via the Steam & P3D platforms is a good thing and upgrading it again is logical and has plenty of room.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hearing P3D will be transitioning to 64bit is a positive move for flight simulation. I've read rumors going around on numerous forums over the past year. My only concerns are what we have now. I know the step to 64bit will be huge for overall performances, although (like others) moving to that step also brings along (or does not) the add-ons that will not work, that we still enjoy currently. I'm hopeful that when the conversion happens, included in the 64bit, is also the included ability to "choose/run" 32bit as a legacy to what we have to retain compatibility and use of what we have. I may be dreaming in that light, so we'll have to wait and see just what the options will be.

OB

I think we all have the same concerns but again, I'd hazard to guess the powers that be who are behind this recognize the same issues. Some products will simply be left behind due to their age while others will get the migration treatment and without a doubt, this will likely spawn a lot of new developments in software and into previously unseen territory. Again I stress this "fragment" of information which leaked out is what it is and so far there's no mentioned plan for FSX(one would hope this would spawn such a retroactive move to update it).

One legit question I have heard thus far which I encourage opinions on: Would there need to be a migration(changes made) to scenery or would that most likely be unaffected by a 64bit platform?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hmm, here we go again. Considering LM have been working on P3D a couple of years at least and a 64-bit version is not even announced yet it's most unlikely FSX will be upgraded to 64-bit. DTG don't have permission to do such a major rework of the code anyway.

But enough of that, now back to the speculation... !
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Here's the PMDG statement on the matter:

x64 UPDATES:

============
    It is anticipated that P3D will be offered in an x64 variation at some point in the future. PMDG will be monitoring development of the x64 version of P3D in order to manage the process by which we begin offering x64 compatible versions of our products for P3D users.
    Based on our knowledge of the process at this time, we anticipate that x64 upgrades will be made available to licensed users of PMDG products at no cost. This information is subject to change pending the development, testing and release of an x64 version of P3D.

So, it is in fact happening in P3D beyond the mere rumors. Still, one would hope somewhere a decision is made to move forward the platform in the same manner on the entertainment side of the fence. If that is ever done, it will almost certainly breath new life into the platform. If it does not happen, most likely the curtains on MSFS are in sight on the horizon.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A 64-bit upgrade to P3D would be most welcome, but notions that this might feed back to a 64-bit FSX upgrade are the stuff of pipe dreams. Just sayin'
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

I tend to agree that the retrograde "spill-over"could be wishful thinking even though it's logical and perhaps it may be more easily do-able than we realize. Some sources poor cold water on that fire while others indicate otherwise. Then again the same was said about P3D and it's x64 rumors vs possibility in recent months and years. If it fails to materialize we still have an ever growing X-Plane platform and the new version of DCS on the horizon for those who don't wish to bother with P3D's expense and potential hassle. Personally I believe if FSX is allowed to die off, there is significant risk that most of the development drive and talent will go with it and kill off growth for P3D. On the other hand who knows, by the time all this plays out maybe new doors will open for P3D usage.

(Edit), I forgot to make known to the PMDG users here, it seems the P3Dv2 licenses for those products are going to carry a hefty fee. I think that their statement on the matter was a testing of the waters but there's mixed response to the idea of paying nearly double price(above what you've already paid) for migrating PMDG products to P3D. If this is in truth what they are going with, I'd say the idea will be DOA for many of us who use PMDG products who wish to migrate them over.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    Hmm, here we go again. Considering LM have been working on P3D a couple of years at least and a 64-bit version is not even announced yet it's most unlikely FSX will be upgraded to 64-bit. DTG don't have permission to do such a major rework of the code anyway.

But enough of that, now back to the speculation... !
    The only thing I have ever seen LM admit to when questioned about a 64bit version was that there wasn't any plan to produce a 64bit version any time in the near future. Of course "any time in the near future" and PMDG's assessment that a 64 bit version of P3D is "anticipated. . .at some point in the future" are both ambiguous enough that it's left to interpretation. . .similar to a developer saying his product release is "right around the corner", but then not seeing it actually released for another six months. When I see something on the LM Forums that comes from one of the bosses saying "Production of a 64bit platform has begun" then I'll feel like it's possible. Until then, while it's certainly the logical direction for LM to go and it certainly should happen at some point. . .it could be years yet and I can't hold my breath that long.

Members who have read this thread: 1