CFS2 and GTX970. I am sad.

Thread: CFS2 and GTX970. I am sad.

CFS2 and GTX970. I am sad.

I picked up a GTX970, which works great with everything else, except CFS2 (of course). CFS2 sees the new card, but it does not recognize that it can use it. My guess is that CFS2 is just so old, and the GTX 970 is just so new, that the two just do not get along. Any ideas? Because right now the only solution I can think of is that Nvidia releases a set of drivers that will improve the backwards compatibility of the card, and that is not likely to happen at this point with XP officially (dead).

Update!

I found a fix! I had to go in to the cfs2.cfg file and enable the display (by entering a 1). Booting CFS2 up and going right to free flight enabled the good ol sim to use the new card. The catch is that I can't go in to the display menu. If I do, then CFS2 rejects that new card. That is not a total loss since I can use the card's control panel to manage the rest of the control settings for CFS2.
    Take my love, take my land / Take me where I cannot stand, I don't care, I'm still free / You can't take the sky from me.

Take me out to the black / Tell 'em I ain't comin' back.

Burn the land and boil the sea / You can't take the sky from me...

hmm i never knew this 970 driver had a problem with old game, btw did you already set that cfs2 icon into compatibility to XP service pack 3 ? and run it as administrator?
    i run cfs2 with my laptop, os win 8.1 and vga gt745, and in cfs2 config still detect as HD graphics 4600 but no problem because i set prefered graphics to gt745
    maybe others can help..hope this can be solved because cfs2 still great to play especially for PTO theatre

Question

I'm surprised (but there may be ways) and nope (they certianly won't be releasing any backward compatible drivers).

A great and expensive card, very nice indeed. You may be able to profile the settings for CFS2. Ask on the Fs2004 forum, as CFS2 was really Fs7.5, and Fs8 (FS2002) and Fs9 (Fs2004) are not that far ahead. So if someone runs it with them, I think you could be in luck.

Does your MB have built in graphics? If it does, and I know this is a pain, but you could disable the new graphics card in the BIOS when you start up and then use the onboard graphics for CFS2. If you don't want to fly CFS2 then let the pc boot up as normal.

Cheers

Shessi

Howdy Folks,

Wiekniera, I did set CFS2 to run as Admin and backwards compatibility to XP.

Shessi, I am not sure what you mean by profile the settings, and my MoBo does not have onboard video.

I did find a functioning workaround by manually modifying the .cfg file for CFS2. It is not ideal, but it seems the only for to enable the game to work with my new video card. Even when running as Admin and with backwards compatibility set, the in game display settings will not acknowledge the card. Thank goodness Nvidia can override CFS2's display settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Shessi View Post
    I'm surprised (but there may be ways) and nope (they certianly won't be releasing any backward compatible drivers).

A great and expensive card, very nice indeed. You may be able to profile the settings for CFS2. Ask on the Fs2004 forum, as CFS2 was really Fs7.5, and Fs8 (FS2002) and Fs9 (Fs2004) are not that far ahead. So if someone runs it with them, I think you could be in luck.

Does your MB have built in graphics? If it does, and I know this is a pain, but you could disable the new graphics card in the BIOS when you start up and then use the onboard graphics for CFS2. If you don't want to fly CFS2 then let the pc boot up as normal.

Cheers

Shessi
    Take my love, take my land / Take me where I cannot stand, I don't care, I'm still free / You can't take the sky from me.

Take me out to the black / Tell 'em I ain't comin' back.

Burn the land and boil the sea / You can't take the sky from me...

Members who have read this thread: 0