Commander 685 for AC3D, GMAX, Blender

Thread: Commander 685 for AC3D, GMAX, Blender

Commander 685 for AC3D, GMAX, Blender

Anyone interested in helping out?

My intention was to make an airplane for my home cockpit project, but perhaps others have interest in this model.
    One of the last muscle planes from a not so distant past.

The 685 can be converted to a 690B, since it is basicly the same frame. New nacelle, prop, tail and window cutout is needed

I have converted the model from AC3D to GMAX FSX Game Pack.
    I am in the process of cleaning up the model and adding propor tags/names for parts. Should be editable for other then.

It exports OK to FSX, but no animations and textures...

Engine gauge graphics and flight model in the works. I have the flight- and maintenance manual available.

Collada or OBJ formats available as well (FSX toolkit for Blender)

Regards
    Arild (Rotorhub)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AC685_closeup.jpg   ac685_3.jpg   ac685_5.jpg   AC685_gmax.jpg  

Arild (Rotorhub),

You have constructed a beautiful model for the 685. It looks accurate from every angle including the roof over the forward cabin area. I truly admire your progress.

I cannot help on the FSX side but if you wish to have an FS9 version available, I could animate and map the piston version for FS9. Not sure what could be done for the cockpit gauges as the FSX setup would not work in FS9.

If you do not have anyone targeted to do the flight model, I could ask Fliger747 if he would be interested, or you can ask him. He does many of my FM's and his work is well respected.

The only thing that would prevent an FS9 success would be the complexity of the model with the mesh restrictions.

I do wish you the best as you work your way through the next phases of the project. This will be a very popular aircraft.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Ac685

Hi Milton

Thanks for the kind words! That sure is a compliment from Mr. Commander.
    I can asure you that there is a lot of room for improvement.

You gave me some nice drawings a good while ago that helped.
    This is a low poly model compared to what is standard today. I am not a rivet counter.

It is well inside the FS9 limitations, but I don't know how a working VC in FS9 would effect that.

If you would be interested in a FS9 version, I could to do a convert. I guess the one saved with the FSX gamepack would'nt work?

Would a standard GMAX file import into the FS9 scene without any problems?
    If so, then it is just for me to do the import, fix smoothing and part names.

Then you could have a look at the model, and see if you are interested.

Best regards
    Arild

Quote Originally Posted by rotorhub View Post
    Hi Milton

Thanks for the kind words! That sure is a compliment from Mr. Commander.
    I can asure you that there is a lot of room for improvement.

You gave me some nice drawings a good while ago that helped.
    This is a low poly model compared to what is standard today. I am not a rivet counter.

It is well inside the FS9 limitations, but I don't know how a working VC in FS9 would effect that.

If you would be interested in a FS9 version, I could to do a convert. I guess the one saved with the FSX gamepack would'nt work?

Would a standard GMAX file import into the FS9 scene without any problems?
    If so, then it is just for me to do the import, fix smoothing and part names.

Then you could have a look at the model, and see if you are interested.

Best regards
    Arild
    Arild,

If you are modeling in gmax, it should work fine. If in 3DSMax, then it would have to be exported.

When you are comfortable, send the source and I will check it for you.

If it is directly compatible, I would be happy to do animations and send it back to you. You could use that to setup your FSX animations.

With respect to the VC/interior model, if that is mostly done, aside from the gauges, I could map the panel(s) and use FS9 xml gauges for them. Generally, I believe the 3D gauges would work but the mapping and material features are different so I think that sharing between FSX and FS9 would not be possible because of that.

I could map the aircraft for you for FS9 if you are interested. FSX mapping allows for more features and control and is not backwards compatible with FS9.

Milton
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Ac685

The model is GMAX. I going to do some fixes first.
    If you PM me, I can send you the model and the manuals.

It would be fun with a FS9 model. I still have a computer running FS9.
    I can do the gauge bitmaps for you. They are all in the maintenance- and flight manual.

I draw them as vector and convert to PSD or any required format.

Best regards
    Arild

It's good to see the Commander is being praised. It's one that is missed in FSX (and Prepar3D)
    Nicely done Arild.

Ac685

Thanks OleBoy! I hope with som help it can become a FS9 project. FSX depends on my patience to learn GMAX. I normally use AC3D, which I learned for some X-Plane projects.
    I first saw a Commander in a museum, then on the apron at Torp (ENTO) (680FL). It is something about the design that captures me.

Regards
    Arild

SOH-CM-2023
    It is something about the design that captures me.
    I agree, all Ted Smiths designs are very striking, Sidney Camms designs also seem to have a certain flair.

Keith

The model is GMAX. I going to do some fixes first.
    If you PM me, I can send you the model and the manuals.

It would be fun with a FS9 model. I still have a computer running FS9.
    I can do the gauge bitmaps for you. They are all in the maintenance- and flight manual.

I draw them as vector and convert to PSD or any required format.

Best regards
    Arild
    Hmmmm, if you are using glass panel gauges that would be new to me as I only deal in steam gauges.

Anyway, I had to come out of retirement for 4 weeks to do some training at my old job. That is now completed and I am back again in my retirement clothes. :-)

I have PM'd you my email addy if you want me to look over the model to see if or how I can help there.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Well, Rotohub sent his beautiful model to me so I got to work to help out on the FS9 side.

Here are some screenies showing progress as fully mapped and texture templates applied, animations done, the basic VC is textured and temporary gauges working. My flight model is temporary but I am working on that now.

This is an awesome model and I think you will love it.
    Last edited by Milton Shupe; January 25th, 2015 at 20:36.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Looks very good planes, guys!

Blog Entries
    I can do a 690 Turbo as I am starting on one, but drawings are the only thing holding me back. I use both gmax and Max 9 for all my modeling, is there a way to get the gmax files converted to Max format using the gmax to Max exporter? I would love to chip in and make the Turbo Commander for both platforms

I'm with the FAA and I'm here to help you.....................Now gimme a hug!

Quote Originally Posted by euroastar350 View Post
    I can do a 690 Turbo as I am starting on one, but drawings are the only thing holding me back. I use both gmax and Max 9 for all my modeling, is there a way to get the gmax files converted to Max format using the gmax to Max exporter? I would love to chip in and make the Turbo Commander for both platforms
    I thought I had drawings for the 690 Turbo but I do not. My focus at the time was on the piston engines so I stopped at the 685 drawings that I sent to Rotohub.

We have completed the exterior model and have the interior model in progress. Rotohub is working feverishly on the cabin and cockpit textures and we have made good progress on gauges and layouts.
    The VC is a basic layout but functional.

Fliger747 did the flight model and it is spot on for FSX.

We have no custom sounds at the moment but there are many out there that would work well.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by euroastar350 View Post
    ... is there a way to get the gmax files converted to Max format using the gmax to Max exporter?...
    There is, George; there is a thread below on FFG and the link to get it is now here. Drop me a PM if you need to know more, Rotorhub's work deserves more exposure.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

FS9 modeling is done. Rotohub is still working diligently on textures and has come a long way.

We have basic gauges in place but some of the gauge bmps need to be updated ... in due time.

Here I am doing some FSX testing; works great in FS9 too. :-)

The exterior base textures look good.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Beautiful clean mesh, you must be enjoying this Milton! I've also seen George's mappings from Max9 and they show what a good job rotorhub did with the original model.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    Beautiful clean mesh, you must be enjoying this Milton! I've also seen George's mappings from Max9 and they show what a good job rotorhub did with the original model.
    Rotohub did an excellent job with shaping this model using AC3D I think; very true to the drawings and yes, the mesh looks great.

My role was simply animations and mapping, plus the FS9 setup.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Members who have read this thread: 0