Attention all skinners! - Page 4
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Attention all skinners!

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries
    WOW!!

I have been quite busy with life lately, but am still trying to work on this. A couple more observations:

1. My previously mentioned DXT5 texture issue is related to the reflector sights, and is not related to the code for hiding existing fixed reticles, as I have been using other means to get rid of the fixed reticles until that bug is fixed. When in cockpit view with a dynamic reticle, all the textures using DXT5 format (or similar) flicker from brighter to darker. The problem is more prevalent in brighter lighting conditions, and I have seen little to none of it at night.

2. This may have already been mentioned, but while it's possible to add new cockpit light effects, it is not possible to change their appearance in the texture magic file. They are always the same yellow light, no matter what parameters are specified.

3. On surfaces with a high specular value in the specular map, the fresnel effect will fade the color into an increasing dark shade of blue until it is completely black as the viewing angle becomes sharper.

Hi!

MajorMagee, all these look nice. I will check the vertical flip issue. Maybe you can fix it in the same way as horizontal flip - by removing the "-" sign in this line:
    tanEyeVec.y = dot(normalize(B), -In.WorldPos.xyz);

Good observations, gecko.
    1. Yes, I noticed that flickering too. Will be investigating the cause.
    2. Yep, settings aren't working now. My bad.
    3. I think I've seen it and fixed it in my development build, but will check closer again.

Sorry that the work has slowed down - I was trying to fix some existing bugs reported by WOFF players before moving on to new features, but those bugs are too elusive. And I've also recently bought an apartment and currently busy with arranging its renovation. However I still intend to make a good working version for CFS3.

I thought about that, but the Alpha layer (the reticle shape) is already being displayed correctly and it's only the RGB mask (the color and shading) that is flipped vertically. I would never have noticed it if I wasn't trying to make the mask asymmetric to match some of the reflector glass shapes. It was easy enough to adjust the DDS file to account for the behavior once I realized what it was doing.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Is there a way to change the size of the RGB mask? It is easy to change the reticle scale as displayed on the mask, but you can only make it so big before it becomes larger than the mask. Meanwhile the mask seems to always be the same size.

MajorMagee, ah, I see.
    It's odd that it happens - I will check why, but I think you can solve it by adding a line:
    In.TexCoord.y = 1-In.TexCoord.y;
    just before this one
    float3 color = tex2D(Tex0, In.TexCoord).rgb;
    in Generic.fx, inside ps_reflector block.

gecko, the mask is scaled to cover the whole sprite, just as standard texture does.
    You can adjust the sprite size in effects.xml obviously, but I'm not sure what could be the point of altering the mask scale - if it becomes larger than the sprite it will be clipped at its edges anyway.

Yes, that seems to have fixed it.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

I now have reference images for 5 Japanese reticles and will add them to the pack.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

British and Soviet Reticle Collection

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Allied_Reticle_Collection_With_Lables.jpg  
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

German, Italian and Japanese Reticle collection

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Axis_Reticle_Collection_With_Lables.jpg  
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

SOH-CM-2020
    Terrific, Majormagee, this will add greatly to the immersion factor

Another Navy Mk8 Reticle. This time it's for the F7F-3 Tigercat.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shot03-01-15-15-26-34.jpg  
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

A collection of additional French and Italian high resolution dynamic reticles.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails French_and_Italian_Reticle_Collection_With Labels.jpg  
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

I have ETO 1.5 with Ankor's mods; what needs to be changed in order to be able to use these gunsights with Trakir and appreciate the upgrade?

Currently the dynamic reticle isn't working yet in ETO 1.5. This feature is in a test version which has not yet been released.

US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Still a few bugs to fix.

Meanwhile I finally managed to add environment map reflections on glass surfaces -- something gecko was constantly reminding me about
    And to my surprise these reflections appeared on quite a few objects. Previously I only knew that Ground Crew's BF110 used them on gauges, gunsight and canopy, but now I see many aircrafts having reflective canopies and gauges. Even some gauges in WOFF unexpectedly became reflective.
    I wonder whether it is as intended or it is some kind of my bug

Should the canopy glass on P51D be reflective? (i.e. not just specular shine, but environment reflection)

Thanks for the update.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Blog Entries
    Meanwhile I finally managed to add environment map reflections on glass surfaces -- something gecko was constantly reminding me about
    And to my surprise these reflections appeared on quite a few objects. Previously I only knew that Ground Crew's BF110 used them on gauges, gunsight and canopy, but now I see many aircrafts having reflective canopies and gauges. Even some gauges in WOFF unexpectedly became reflective.
    I wonder whether it is as intended or it is some kind of my bug
    I see you've been busy AnKor, that reflective shine looks brilliant!
    Head bobbing also has only been possible before with access to the virtual cockpit source model so if this is now possible through your mods then that is truly amazing!

Keep up the great work!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcd...88u8eTg-_z05cQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ioMiHL4kVA
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

Well, that kind of reflections as in the video won't be available. It was just a demo of what could be done, but it is not complete.
    I will probably make head bob available as an option in d3d8.ini file, but it is not the priority now and will have an "experimental" status (i.e. even more experimental than other new features ).

Those look great! That Fokker looks beautiful. I'm excited to hear the glass environment map will be back, thanks! It's a pretty common effect, I think most models have it, and shortly before you released your first shaders I had figured out how to add it to any aircraft that didn't have it. I think it's totally appropriate for the P-51, you can see the reflections in a number of period photos. They may not have polished the rest of the aircraft like they do for airshows today, but having a perfectly clean canopy was a matter of life and death to a fighter pilot. Excited to see what's next!

Blog Entries
    AnKor, I noticed in the reflection video that the reflections are actually of the surroundings eg you can see the hangars in the wing as you flew over them. If this is so would working mirrors be possible?

cheers, clive

AnKor, I noticed in the reflection video that the reflections are actually of the surroundings eg you can see the hangars in the wing as you flew over them. If this is so would working mirrors be possible?

You are right those reflections exactly match surroundings, as opposed to standard environment map which is just a premade texture.

However mirrors are not possible because CFS3 doesn't draw anything behind you. I can turn the in-game "camera" to face in any direction, but there won't be anything except the sky - not even terrain, and definitely no aircrafts.
    This is also the reason why biplanes in WOFF display some oddities with
    upper wing's shadows disappearing when you look at lower wing -- if a part of airplane is not going to be visible anyway CFS3 optimizes it by not attempting to draw it at all.
    So, no, there is currently no way to make a working mirror. If I had access to the code which decides what to draw and what not to I could implement it, but it is somewhere inside CFS3.exe and I was unable to find it (and I looked for it a lot!).

Blog Entries
    However mirrors are not possible because CFS3 doesn't draw anything behind you. I can turn the in-game "camera" to face in any direction, but there won't be anything except the sky - not even terrain, and definitely no aircrafts.
    This is also the reason why biplanes in WOFF display some oddities with upper wing's shadows disappearing when you look at lower wing -- if a part of airplane is not going to be visible anyway CFS3 optimizes it by not attempting to draw it at all.
    So, no, there is currently no way to make a working mirror. If I had access to the code which decides what to draw and what not to I could implement it, but it is somewhere inside CFS3.exe and I was unable to find it (and I looked for it a lot!).
    Thanks for the detailed reply. That's a shame. It also explains then why effects such as smoke re-start if you look away and then back at them again.

The in-game camera you mention sounds intriguing, is there any way to change the view angle? (I may have asked this before, sorry). If you look at games such as BoB2 and IL2 objects in the background look closer (higher focal length?)

I'm very impressed that you are able to look 'inside' the .exe, you clever s*d! How are you able to do that!?

Cheers,

Clive

It also explains then why effects such as smoke re-start if you look away and then back at them again.
    Yes, the same reason. I don't know if it is possible to workaround.

The in-game camera you mention sounds intriguing, is there any way to change the view angle? (I may have asked this before, sorry). If you look at games such as BoB2 and IL2 objects in the background look closer (higher focal length?)
    Well, shaders which shipped with WOFF 2.0 already have this feature. I managed to find the location in cfs3.exe which stores the view angle for external cameras and now my dll is able to "patch" it when loaded.
    In fact it is even possible to change without using my dll by hex-editing the cfs3.exe if you are ok with that

I'm very impressed that you are able to look 'inside' the .exe, you clever s*d! How are you able to do that!?
    I'm using a disassembler and debugger, but it is like 10% of intellectual work, 10% of wild guessing and 80% of sheer luck to find anything useful there.
    Based on my experience and common sense I'm trying to guess what original devs were thinking when they coded the game. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but it takes a lot of time.

Members who have read this thread: 9