Attention all skinners! - Page 7
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Attention all skinners!

gosd, it looks like everything is in order in your shots. Long shadows at sundown and short ones at midday. The long shadows may seem too long at first glance, but it is realistic. You often don't really notice how long the shadows get at dusk in real life unless you're specifically looking for it or you see it from the air.

Italflyer, just add

reticle_mc200.dds

to the [ReticleStatic] section of the Texture Magic.ini
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorMagee View Post
    Italflyer, just add

reticle_mc200.dds

to the [ReticleStatic] section of the Texture Magic.ini

That did it! Thanks, you're my hero!

AnKor,

Congratulations to you for resolving the haze blending issue at the horizon included in the recent update for WOFF!

US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

gosd, that's more or less the expected result with low sun.
    To look more realistic such long shadows should be much blurrier, but adding this feature will eat too many FPS.
    Though it might be possible to tweak some settings in Scenery.fx so trees and their shadows won't look way too thin. I will keep this issue in mind.

MajorMagee,
    Thanks! I'm glad people like what I did, that horizon blending fix resulted in a cascade of changes for light calculation formulas
    Sun glare doesn't look as good with stock cfs3 but it should be solvable with some tweaking of suneffect.xml. The trick is that the first <SunGlare ... /> entry is also used for "blinding sun" effect so it needs to be set to large size and better be a blurred circle image without rays (see corona1.dds in WOFF).

Now I'll try to get back to sorting out cfs3 specific stuff, though it is very difficult to find enough free time

gecko, I wanted to mention before, but kept forgetting: to get better FPS you might try changing the method aircraft and cockpit shadows are drawn.
    Edit Models.fx and near the beginning of file there is a line:
    //#define AltShadows
    delete those two slashes to enable "alternative" shadows.
    This is an experimental mode which I've started implementing long ago but never polished to call it ready.
    It will likely work faster on old GPUs and might even look better than standard shadows (that was the main goal), but at the same time might show some artifacts like visible "seams" in wings or some odd patterns on large surfaces.

You can also disable bump mapping calculations (if you don't need them of course) by adding the same two slashes before the line:
    #define BumpEnabled
    It should get you a few more FPS.

SOH-CM-2020

Great latest beta version

Just got around to applying d3d8 20150506beta. I just had to post! Ankor, the results are amazing! This is in a stock testbed install (well not 100% stock). Things observed:
    - effects seem smoother and just look fabulous
    - ground shadows on a winter's dawn start up are eerie
    - the aircraft surface is even better (is that bump mapping?)
    - the STOCK ground textures look amazing - the stock winter textures for ground and trees always looked a bit bodgy but these drivers make the whites brilliant with a hard edged sheen which makes you frigid just by looking at them
    - check out the sea water texture - again makes me reluctant to ditch, gone are the smooth lugubrious surfaces of the previous version of the d3d8 mods.
    I just wish I could post high quality screenshots but they always seem to get resized
    [edit] Oh, and check out the runway - the surface texturing just increases realism by a factor of 10
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ankor5.jpg   Ankor4.jpg   Ankor3.jpg   Ankor2.jpg   Ankor.jpg  

SOH-CM-2021
    Blog Entries
    Many Thanks Master Ankor, the beta version seems to be working very well for me also..
    Much rejoicng.
    Very grateful..

I will continue to test this and set it all up for my various installs
    Again Thank You..
    More rejoicing!!

Here's the xpd file entry to provide dynamic reticle effects for the new MAW Fairey Fulmar.

<Effect Type="Track" EffectName="UK_RAF_Spitfire_gunsight" PosX="0.000" PosZ="0.60" PosY="0.675" Pitch="90" MinVel="-999999" MaxVel="999999"/>
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

My turn to provide some feedback too, also on the d3d8.20150506.beta version.

Pros: LOOKS GREAT. The new lightings, shadows, runway reflections, simply awesome. Not to mention the FOV fix which makes it feel like a completely different game, all of those working together bring the end result surprisingly close to modern attempts such as War Thunder when it comes to looks - while still retaining the excellent physics modelling present in CFS3 and not so much in many others.

Cons: What happens after sunset. The sun sets normally but afterwards the sky in its direction develops a bright glow that intensifies until it's pure white with abrupt cut-off lines to normal night sky. If anyone else can check this out in a mission that includes sunset (night bombing missions should be good) I'd be glad to know if it's just me.

I had initially installed WOFF_D3D9_Extended.20140325.Beta and that blew my socks off. My FPS had doubled to boot! Last night I installed d3d8.20150506.beta and noticed a very distinct improvement in terms of overall detail. It did cause some terrain and aircraft shadow flickering. There was also some anti-alaising issues and the FPS dropped slightly. I thought the view change was really odd at first, but after a while you kinda get used to it (reminiscent of FS actually).

This mod really transforms CFS3 from the proverbial ugly duckling into a graceful swan. Many thanks for all of the hard work to make this happen!

See Post #121 for the May 2015 download.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

http://www.allworldwars.com/Luftwaff...ft-5000-1.html

Quote Originally Posted by MajorMagee View Post
    German, Italian and Japanese Reticle collection

US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

This one needed a bump as well.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

AnKor sent a couple of us a Beta update to test. He does not have much personal time free to work on this project anymore, so revisions will be few and far between.

- Got rid of shadows (self shadowing and ground shadow) from transparent textures.

- Dynamic reticle now "belongs" to cockpit and doesn't get hidden by frame in Thunderbolt.

- Cockpit light in TextureMagic is correctly configurable.
    Here is an example sprite texture that will be turned into red point light with a range of two meters:
    [CockpitLight] ; Point or Spot|Hex RGB|Range|Atten0|Atten1|Atten2|Theta|Phi
    light_red.dds=Point|ff0000|2.0

* Bump map textures still seems to work incorrectly, but I guess nobody needs them anyway.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

I thought I would mention in this thread that the Alpha Test Shaders we're currently working on have eliminated the grey band on the horizon as well.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

I've been calibrating the default virtualcockpitview FOVscale in the ViewUI xml file to match the default FOV scale for external views in AnKor's d3d8.ini file. I have my External FOV set down to 30 degrees since I have a wide screen display (3840 x 1024), and setting the FOVscale to 0.4 produces an identical target aircraft size (when adjusted for the slight difference in distance between in the cockpit, and looking from behind your aircraft) when you flip from internal to external views.

For the standard external FOV of 60 degrees in d3d8.ini, the FOVscale should be set to 0.8 in ViewUI.xml.

p.s. I just realized that this is dependent on how each aircraft's cockpit is set up, so the calibration is not universal, but it does work for most.
    Last edited by MajorMagee; March 5th, 2016 at 08:00.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

This needs a so it doesn't get lost.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Threads like this and "This could be very interesting" should perhaps be stickys since they are providing ongoing info/instructions on scenery dev, etc.

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Good suggestion James: done.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Here are the new high resolution reticle files for the Mig-15bis by BorekS. They can also be used with the DPC Mig-15. Installation instructions are included.

Mig-15_Static_and_Dynamic_Reticle.zip
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Thank you to Gecko for pointing out how to use two reticles at the same time to limit the animation to the inner markers. Here is the updated package for the Mig-15.

Mig-15_Static_and_Dynamic_Reticle - Split.zip
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Did you upload all the reticles somewhere?

US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Under which heading? I had already looked there.

Scroll Down. They're at the top level, not one of the sub-directories.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Members who have read this thread: 9