More AF Corsair Repaints - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: More AF Corsair Repaints

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post

Aircraft Livery: VF-17 "Lonesome Polecat" (http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.p...)
    I rather think that was my paint, but you never know..
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

John,could you please do a paint from the restored Corsair of the OFM?
    I just read about her in a German Airplane Classic magazine.
    BuNr92436 of the VMF-213 in duty on the USS Saidor in 1945.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by big-mike View Post
    John,could you please do a paint from the restored Corsair of the OFM?
    I just read about her in a German Airplane Classic magazine.
    BuNr92436 of the VMF-213 in duty on the USS Saidor in 1945.
    Mike
    This the one?

Go here, Mike

And Happy New Year, BTW..

-- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Yes Sir----that´s the one!
    Thank you very much,WH and a Happy New Year too.
    Mike3

These latest repaints are actually a follow-up to those first two I did, of the Olympic Flight Museum and Texas Flying Legends Corsairs. They all use the same/similar specular map technique, modified VC textures, and modified wheel well, landing gear, engine, drop tank and rocket textures.

Also be sure to download:

Olympic Flight Museum and TFLM Corsairs Update
    Download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...epaint+updates

And here are the originals again:

Olympic Flight Museum Corsair: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...+Flight+Museum
    Download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...+Flight+Museum

Texas Flying Legends Corsair: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...Flying+Legends
    Download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...Flying+Legends
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

John, got a question for you.

Is "Kathleen" an A or D model?

Reason why I ask is that it's a D model, but the instructions direct the install to the A model.

"Place the "Texture.N209TW Kathleen" folder into the "AF_F4U-1A" folder."
    -- WH

In reality, the real aircraft is an FG-1D, however it was restored to look like an F4U-1A or an FG-1A, by fitting a braced canopy to the aircraft and a 1944-period tri-color scheme. The real aircraft also has had one of the early center-line mountings/pylons fitted, as would be found on an F4U-1A and FG-1A in the Pacific, but it also still retains the FG-1D/F4U-1D dual pylons. I have it setup for the F4U-1A model, so that it can have the braced canopy (and the center-line drop tank texture is also setup for the F4U-1A, including mimicking the same oil stain as found on the depth charge that was slung under the aircraft on the center-line mount, following the completion of its restoration). Despite straying a bit from its true identity, it is an award-winning restoration, being one of the top three most authentic Corsairs flying today - all original/period hardware, radios, correct primers and paints, purely stock/original cockpit, all of the period inspection stamps and stencils (the other two most authentic Corsairs flying today are of course the Vintage Wings of Canada (former Gary Kohs) Corsair, and the Olympic Flight Museum Corsair - all three of which were restored by Airpower Unlimited).

Some really exceptional photos of that restoration can be seen here (covering three pages): http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft...W:54612:3.html
    And here (during its restoration): http://www.airpowerunlimited.net/project/3

Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    Thanks again, guys! Here is another one which should be just about ready to release, a scheme that I've always thought looked interesting. This a Naval Reserve scheme of 1946 through to about 1948/49, so is an intermediate scheme between the 1945 factory scheme and the 1955 Naval Reserve scheme. In the 1946 through about 1948/49 time frame, this is how all of the Corsairs looked within the Naval Reserve Units in the US, operating from bases such as NAS Glenview, New York, Minneapolis, and in this case Livermore, all following the same layout of markings. The stars & bars on the fuselage are painted over (you can see the slight difference in shade of paint, under certain lighting conditions, where the star & bars were), and at this time (1946 to be exact) the red bars had not yet been added to the insignias. Also, just about everything got painted blue (prop dome, landing gear, wheels), and thus it adds a very business-like feel overall.

Any ETA on this one, John??
    -- WH

When discussing the VMF-214 "Blacksheep Squadron" F4U-4 Corsair a couple days back, I was trying to hunt down this photo, but couldn't find it. It however just popped up on Facebook again today. It shows the aircraft flying in formation with one of the Harriers based at Yuma, operated by the present-day VMF-214 "Blacksheep Squadron" (probably something that could be recreated in FSX).

Warhorse, I'll upload that one tonight - I have since made the orange markings yellow, as I believe they probably were instead. It's based off of this original photo and the box artwork for a Hasegawa kit (not much else to go on, besides other B&W photos from the period of similar schemes). I'll be including both 'clean' and 'dirty' versions. Note: some of the late F4U-1D's and FG-1D's had shorter aerial masts/antennae near the firewall location than depicted in the Aircraft Factory Corsair, which is more in-line with earlier period/production - and many didn't have that mast at all.

Last edited by Bomber_12th; January 1st, 2015 at 21:08.

John....the markings were orange yellow as you had them. Is it possible to get the paint you did in both colors?

please check this out....Dana is a top notch resource

http://clubhyper.com/reference/showandtell5db_1.htm

Skyhawk, thank you for sharing that, I enjoyed reading an article on the subject by someone as knowledgeable as Dana Bell (although I'm always hesitant to instantly accept another's findings/opinions). In several photos from 1946, of the same basic markings (including this one), they appear quite bright/light against the glossy sea blue - even in period drawings for the markings (circa 1946), they simply refer to them as being yellow (no mention of orange). It was during this same time period that you also see the start-up of the Blue Angels, operating F6F Hellcats. Their basic markings were simply glossy sea blue and yellow. To me, it would seem natural for them to use those colors, if for at the time all of the Naval Reserve fighters all throughout the country were already using those colors anyway, as seems to be illustrated in the 1946 B&W photos by how bright the markings are. In other photos, especially from later on (1947/48), with the same layout/type of markings, the markings often appear quite a bit darker than in 1946, perhaps switching to international orange at that point (and as seen in the 50's).

For added interest/discussion, according to the IPMS site, this is the military's "orange yellow" from the time period, which also appears the same as "chrome yellow", and sometimes referred to as "insignia yellow". This is what I have adjusted the markings to match (will show some screenshots shortly): http://www.colorserver.net/showcolor.asp?fs=33538

South Chesterfield Virginia, United States
    Blog Entries
    John, thank you for sharing these paints. As always, your talent amazes me. You continually raise the bar with each new repaint... Many thanks, my friend.

Thank you Quicksand, I appreciate it!

For comparison, here are some shots of both the clean and weathered versions with the "orange yellow" markings matched to FS:33538 (sometimes referred to as "orange yellow", "insignia yellow", and very close/same to "chrome yellow"). If it really was like this, you can see where/why the Blue Angels scheme got its start at the same time period (1946), first operating Hellcats in glossy sea blue with yellow markings. From everything I've divulged, I think this is very close to what it really must have looked like. Note on the weathered version, I made it a bit more clear to see the painted over star & bars on the fuselage, as you can see in the original period photo. The blue paint on the weathered example could perhaps use some attention still, by having a bit more saturation of blue and more concentrated shine, and the orange yellow on the clean example could use less shine (which causes the markings to look more yellow than they should under certain light conditions). I'll get there... : )

Speaking of FG-1D Corsairs, besides the Olympic Flight Museum's FG-1D having been completed and now flying as of 2014, Barry Avent's FG-1D NZ5612, registed N43FG, was also completed/flown the for this first time in 2014. Based in South Carolina, it is one of only two former RNZAF Corsairs flying in the world today. Presently, it is only painted in a base scheme of glossy sea blue, with the decision still not confirmed as to what markings it may eventually carry (USN, RNZAF, etc.), possibly applied during this winter. (Also, an F4U-5, painted in gorgeous Honduran markings, was completed and has been flying in Australia since earlier in 2014, owned by Graham Hosking: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHZwWYI4jyA)

I'll get there... : )

I really like this repaint. Are we getting any closer John??
    -- WH

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    I really like this repaint. Are we getting any closer John??
    Yeah! Im ready to fly this one!!

First, here is another modified version of Tom "Fliger747" Falley's FDE for the Corsair, with modifications to match the changes between when the FDE was originally created for the Milviz model, and to after A2A/AF took it over (shifting the model), causing all of the original contact/reference points to be out-of-whack.

The modifications include (some are newly added):

- Weight and balance reference points to match the A2A/AF model
    - Contact points to match the A2A/AF model
    - Cockpit viewpoint to match the A2A/AF model
    - External viewpoints to match the A2A/AF model
    - Fuel tanks are positioned to match the A2A/AF model (different between F4U-1A and -1C/-D variants)
    - Engine location points to match the A2A/AF model
    - Increased normalized starter torque to that of the A2A/AF model, so that when pressing the starter switch the engine will start
    - Adjusted tailhook entry to match the A2A/AF model (the exaggerated one I prefer, for more realistic trap results)
    - The original lights and effects entries from the original A2A/AF model
    - Added a smoke system for airshow flying (the smoke generator is connected to the starboard-side exhaust).
    Attached Files Attached Files

First, here is another modified version of Tom "Fliger747" Falley's FDE for the Corsair, with modifications to match the changes between when the FDE was originally created for the Milviz model, and to after A2A/AF took it over (shifting the model), causing all of the original contact/reference points to be out-of-whack.

- Weight and balance reference points to match the A2A/AF model
    - Contact points to match the A2A/AF model
    - Cockpit viewpoint to match the A2A/AF model
    - External viewpoints to match the A2A/AF model
    - Fuel tanks are positioned to match the A2A/AF model (different between F4U-1A and -1C/-D variants)
    - Engine location points to match the A2A/AF model
    - Increased normalized starter torque to that of the A2A/AF model, so that when pressing the starter switch the engine will start
    - Adjusted tailhook entry to match the A2A/AF model (the exaggerated one I prefer, for more realistic trap results)
    - The original lights and effects entries from the original A2A/AF model
    - Added a smoke system for airshow flying (the smoke generator is connected to the starboard-side exhaust).
    Now dont confuse the question JT...when we gonna get that great USNR paint? Dont make me do my own.

E

John,

with the latest FDE, are the wheel breaking parameters OK? On the slightest touch it tends to nose over or cartwheel with differential brakes applied.

Cheers,
    Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Quote Originally Posted by roger-wilco-66 View Post
    John,

with the latest FDE, are the wheel breaking parameters OK? On the slightest touch it tends to nose over or cartwheel with differential brakes applied.
    I have noticed they're strong, but I've always only used them only marginally (with rudder pedals). This is the original product's brakes entry in the Aircraft.cfg file, in which the toe braking force is quite a bit less. Simply replace this section with the one below, using the original product values:

[Brakes]
    parking_brake=1
    differential_braking_scale =1
    toe_brakes_scale=0.85
    hydraulic_system_scalar=1

Mark,I noticed that on the earlier one, but the new one seems OK.
    thanks John for the New FDE.It really adds life to that old Corsair!
    Stan

Thanks John for the Changes and the brake mod. She flies fine. I did notice that when the power is off the tail hook
    doesn't move, is that normal or the way it works? Just curious.

The Smoke effect system I take it that if I press the "I" key, white smoke will billow out to the rear. At least that is what I experienced.
    I am not sure about the smoke gen you mentioned. Is there a switch in the cockpit that would activate it or then the "I" key?

Nope, no switch in the cockpit, just use the I-key. I provided it just for the heck of it, as I originally added that smoke system entry to go along with my repaint of the Texas Flying Legends Corsair, to match the real-life example which, despite being an extremely authentic/accurate restoration, it has a smoke generator installed that is connected to the exhaust on the starboard-side, as illustrated in these videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcmE7QI1WZY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nkrLxBiFr8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcpRYMaB3fw

Regarding the tailhook, I think it is just hardwired into FSX to only work when the engine is running, with it likely connected to hydraulic pressure by default.

I think I'm finally content with this one, enough, to let it go. This will likely be my last repaint for a while, as this coming week I'm back to my regularly scheduled program again - and I need to finally get around to putting together an update on the status of the Warbirdsim P-39 (in-case y'all forgot about that one). I added a few more small details to this repaint that I found on some photos of other Reserve Corsairs from the time period (like the all so common "no hand hold", in this case written on the forward antenna mast).

Last edited by Bomber_12th; January 3rd, 2015 at 18:08.

it looks outstanding, John!
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

+1 looks nice. I never seen Corsairs lettered with colors like this but it sure looks nice
    Got a kick at comment someone here made about the corsairs as hose nose ensign eliminators.

Members who have read this thread: 10