REX Soft Clouds released - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: REX Soft Clouds released

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Hmm.. finally got it installed and running. While the content is very good.. the installer is not their finest hour. I needed both NET.Framework4.5 and SQL Server LocalDB. While the install asks if you'd like to download the former.. it doesn't give any such help with LocalDB. Thanks to the link NC posted above.. I was able to download and install that and run the install routine again. This time.. the first window indicated FSX (Correct) and the second window pointed to my FSX location. While the install location was correct.. the Soft Cloud installer had put a load of rectangle symbols after the root directory. I let the installer run and it spit out a gallon of errors. I ran it again and removed the rectangle symbols and the install finally worked. That's a lot of work for what should be a very simple routine.

Onwards and upwards!

ATB
    DaveB
    Especially from a company who's installers usually work flawlessly.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

I'm seeing the clouds momentarily disappear too. Not sure if this is ASA or the clouds. Never had a real problem in this area with ASN/REX E. This is a comparatively fresh install of FSX and I've not got around to putting ASN on yet (it needs ASA installed first as it was an upgrade). This has hastened the process!

EDIT: Installing ASN has got rid of the disappearing cloud problem

ATB
    DaveB
    Last edited by DaveB; December 27th, 2014 at 07:43.

I'm seeing the clouds momentarily disappear too. Not sure if this is ASA or the clouds. Never had a real problem in this area with ASN/REX E. This is a comparatively fresh install of FSX and I've not got around to putting ASN on yet (it needs ASA installed first as it was an upgrade). This has hastened the process!

ATB
    DaveB
    Dave, ASA / ASN ? I'm a little dense this morning, what do they stand for? Active Sky? or ? ... I don't have them, yet. Just the REX programs.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X

So you have to buy ASN to "fix" the disappearing clouds??

Hiya

ASA = Active Sky Advanced
    ASN = Active Sky Next (the newest version)

If you already have REX/REX E+OD and you use (and like) the weather engine that comes with it.. you don't 'need' to buy another weather engine. I've used the Hi-Fi products for years and are comfortable with them. There's nothing particularly wrong with the REX E wx engine.. I just prefer the Active Sky version. For whatever reason.. these clouds didn't like ASA (or ASA didn't like these clouds) and on my first flight with Soft Clouds.. I noticed the clouds disappearing.. albeit for only a moment or so. I already had ASN but hadn't bothered to re-install it (yet) on the fresh FSX install. I did and the disappearing cloud problem went. ASN is much faster.. unbelievably so and is a fair step forward over ASA. I never tried Active Sky 2012 (which came in between ASA and ASN) as I was still pretty much full time FS9 then and was happy with the weather depiction off ASA in FS9.

There appears to be no uninstall/restore option with Soft Cloud so I guess you have to use REX E to restore your original/REX E choices. So.. it's not quite stand-alone.

ATB
    DaveB

Thanks for that info, Dave. I've always used the built in weather engine until I got REX OD, etc. Have the whole REX series, and really like it. I'll see what happens when I finally get to actually get the time to fly. Still setting up FSX and P3Ds, on the new machine,but things keep getting in way. .

Soft Clouds downloaded and installed with no problems for me.

Don H
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X

Aren't these clouds what REX does with Texture Direct?

Perhaps a stupid question but Aren't these clouds what REX does with Texture Direct?

I'm reluctant to buy something I already have from a great company.

Thanks Roger I will try your suggestion.

Btw I installed the program and am very impressed.
    The soft clouds look great. Well worth it.

Anthin.

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by b52bob View Post
    I want to get this but the one download thing has me concerned. The wifi here is so bad it usually takes me 2-3 tries before I can get a file. Recently downloaded orbx pnw and it took me two days and 7 tries before I got it, and yes, I'm also using download helper too!

guess I'll wait until it shows up in other stores to purchase.
    Hang tight neighbor, Sin City WiFi, Cox is a royal turtle since Dec 23rd. Took me about the same to DL PNW using the Hard and WiFi. Last I heard from Cox Security is here Lizard Lizard Sq we hunting ya rear lol. Lizard Sq is being a real PIA to SW Nevada.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JosefK View Post
    Perhaps a stupid question but Aren't these clouds what REX does with Texture Direct?

I'm reluctant to buy something I already have from a great company.
    No, they are different textures. Could they have been added to Texture Direct in an update? Maybe, but that's not my call. Anyway, they are a huge improvement! Especially the haze!!

Don H
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X

Having had a look over at REX to see if there was any 'logical' way to remove them.. I noted a thread there confirming that these textures are different to anything yet released. They will ultimately be included in REX4.. I believe as a module. When this eventually happens.. anyone buying REX4 who already has Soft Clouds will be eligible for a discount.

ATB
    DaveB

Thanks, DaveB.

Got a short test flight in last night. KSEE - KVAX The main difference I noticed was the haze effect. Just like I remember it in San Diego. Much better than the solid wall effect we usually see in the sim. I'm sure the clouds are much better, also, but it was basically a clear, grey day according to the Rex Essential+OD weather engine. Unfortunately, everytime I try to post pics today, my browser crashes.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X

Funny you mention crashes.. I've used Active Sky Next twice with the new clouds and FSX has crashed each time. The first time, I got a utils.dll error (??) and the second.. the sim just froze (FSX Not Responding). The second occasion was my first flight of the day.. I'd taken off from Culdrose in the Alabeo Staggerwing and was just about level with St Mawgan. No way was the system pushed.. had run out of VAS or anything like that so I tried to load alternate clouds using REX E+OD. Loaded up again using ASN and this time, I got a lot of haze but no real clouds as such so.. I used RESTORE from within REX to get my default clouds back. Flew the same flight again using ASN and the default clouds (I think they're default.. I'm not sure now!!) and the RAZBAM Harrier and it held fine all the way 'up the loop'. Had to quit there as SWMBO turned up with dinner.
    The first crash could be down to the CS C130 though to be honest.. I've not seen that error throw up before. The second.. I've no explanation. I do get a feeling that my setup doesn't like these clouds.

ATB
    DaveB

Having had a look over at REX to see if there was any 'logical' way to remove them.. I noted a thread there confirming that these textures are different to anything yet released. They will ultimately be included in REX4.. I believe as a module. When this eventually happens.. anyone buying REX4 who already has Soft Clouds will be eligible for a discount.

ATB
    DaveB
    Duly noted, thank you DaveB.

You're welcome Josef

I've just done another flight with ASN and without Soft Clouds in the Harrier from Yeovilton, up to the Midlands, then west to Wales.. down the Loop and across to Valley. Solid from start to finish. Clouds/sky are default (confirmed by no volumetric effect) so it does look very much like there's something about Soft Clouds that my hardware/software combination doesn't like. Will wait and see if anyone else is having similar probs

ATB
    DaveB

I'm trying to understand, I have REX essential+overdrive HD

I'm trying to understand, I have REX essential+overdrive HD installed, will this work with that...?
    Is this separate from REX essential+overdrive HD or does it become incorporated into REX e+o HD?

It is cloud textures.

It works for everyone, whether
    they have default or any
    addon cloud textures because it
    replaces existing cloud textures.

At the moment it is not part of any other
    product but REX are saying that it will
    become part of REX 4 but will
    still have to be paid for.

I too have the REX products you have.
    When I run REX Soft Clouds, low level
    clouds become soft.
    When I run REX Essentials and ask it to replace
    cloud textures, they revert to the REX Essentials
    versions.
    If I run REX Essentials after Soft Clouds and ask it not
    to install low level cloud textures, they remain soft.

That scenario didn't actually work for me. I tried going back to REX E+OD clouds.. flashed up ASN then started the sim and I got no clouds. So.. I went back into REX E/OD.. selected my backup of the originals and that worked. I then went back to REX E/OD and selected my previous REX choice and that worked. Don't ask me why but simply by reselecting REX E clouds in REX didn't work. I've no idea if this is to do with ASN or not.

The thing with Soft Clouds is.. there is no uninstall option for cloud types so if you don't have REX (whatever flavour) or use another utility which backs your originals up.. you'll be stuck with them.. good or bad. I can't recall any similar software that does not backup your originals and can't understand why SC doesn't give you this option.

ATB
    DaveB

That is a good point Dave. If you only have default clouds and you install Soft Clouds then you have no backup and cannot return to default. This must be a mistake?
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

I had an email from REX studios about the release, I already had essentials + OD and REX 4 texture direct but for the price I just bought it anyway.
    I've installed it no problems the flightsim store installer comes with everything required for s problem free install, haven't tried them in the sim yet though.
    I7 3700k @ 4.5 ghz, 2 x 8 gig 2133ghz ram, Evga gtx 780 classified, samsung 840 pro 250 gig ssd for op system, Win 7 64 bit ultimate, Samsung 840 evo for fsx photo scenery, 600 gig wd velocraptor for fsx, creative XFI fatality sound card.

It doesn't say anyhing about operating system requirements in the link above, but FSPilotShop says Windows Vista SP2 or greater.
    Can anyone confirm that this is a no-go for Windows XP?

There are graphical advancements from XP to vista and above, I'd suggest asking on the REX forum about XP compatability.
    I7 3700k @ 4.5 ghz, 2 x 8 gig 2133ghz ram, Evga gtx 780 classified, samsung 840 pro 250 gig ssd for op system, Win 7 64 bit ultimate, Samsung 840 evo for fsx photo scenery, 600 gig wd velocraptor for fsx, creative XFI fatality sound card.

Probably nothing and not related, but I checked RexDirect update and it had a large texture update. My Norton shot it down after it identified it as TrojanGen2.

Alaska, Today, FSX.

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Quote Originally Posted by William Njurmi View Post
    Probably nothing and not related, but I checked RexDirect update and it had a large texture update. My Norton shot it down after it identified it as TrojanGen2.
    My Norton 360 has been getting a lot of false positives lately. Especially with new releases that use .exe's. The "community" doesn't like new files, not even from trusted sources. I have yet to get anything from a trusted source.

Just my $0.02 worth.
    Don H
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X

Members who have read this thread: 5