FSX Steam on sale for only $5! Limited time only! - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: FSX Steam on sale for only $5! Limited time only!

I think Paul is correct & prudent buy it cheap and not install makes it future proof.

I think I read somewhere that the registry settings are different to MS FSX however they scenery.cfg file is still in the same place namely c:\PrgramData\FSX which could be problematic. Can someone confirm or deny this?
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

The registry settings and files paths are identical to what the original FSX would be if FSX: Steam Edition were installed on its own.

If FSX: Steam Edition is installed side by side (i.e. on the same computer as an existing FSX install), the following paths will be used:

Registry keys:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\DovetailGames\FSX
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\DovetailGa mes\FSX
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator - Steam Edition

File paths:
    %appdata%\Microsoft\FSX-SE\fsx_se.CFG
    %localappdata%\Microsoft\FSX-SE
    %programdata%\Microsoft\FSX-SE\Scenery.CFG

If you already have FSX installed, then the Steam version
    uses FSX-SE as an alias, that is all its folders outside Steam
    are named FSX-SE and do not have any effect on the existing
    FSX installation.

In this way, as advertised, you can have both versions installed
    on the same PC, ideally not on the same drive, and both will
    work independently.

If you have FSX already installed, there is a way to add all
    your aircraft to FSX-SE without the need to install any of them
    into FSX-SE.

That said, there will be some which will not work at all and it will
    be trial and error to see which ones do.
    At present, it seems that the Sibwings AN-2 is one that won't
    work at all.

Captain Sim aircraft on the other hand do.

I just uninstalled steam...as far as I am concerned it is the program from hell.

In fact, I just started it up to uninstall it and it asked for my login, password, etc, even though I had selected 'remember password' numerous times....then it asked me if I were logging in on a new computer so it would send me a password over my email...I had entered at least 6 different passwords sent by steam...

meanwhile I simply re-loaded FSX from my discs but when I tried to load Acceleration the loading stopped because it was not compatible with FSX:SE

Steam is like something you will eventually need an exorcist for...why can't they just sell you FSX w/o all the programming and control that THEY have, but not me, I'm done with it.

After uninstalling steam and running a registry cleaner, I re-installed FSX but the Acceleration disks would not load, so I d/l SP1 and that loaded okay, then tried SP2 and I got a window that said I needed the english version of FSX in order for that to work, which is what I have...

so thanks to steam, I am unable to even reload a decent version of FSX

right now I'm thinking of buying P3D

naturally i bought a bunch of Carenado stuff before FSX went tits up
    Last edited by davido53; January 4th, 2015 at 21:22.

UPDATE!

Changelog:
    • Networking: Resolved - potential crash bug when decoding Steam host tag data.
    • Error Reporting: Resolved - error message if the software failed to load the language.dll so that it shows the name of the actual dll it is trying to load.
    • Learning Centre: Resolved - when selecting a mission from the Learning Centre, you would be told that the mission script failed to load and would be disabled.
    • Learning Centre: Changed - the Learning Centre still referenced a GameSpy logo - now replaced with Steam logo.
    • Graphics: Improved vertex and index buffer handling defaults and a few other things to give up to 10% framerate improvement (as long as vsync is not enabled/forced).
    • Graphics: Change - Enable trilinear mipmap filtering by default.
    • Graphics: Resolved - If the Special Effects setting was set to HIGH, some special effects like external lights, landing/water effects would not work.
    • Graphics: Changed default value for max per-frame texture uploads to decrease time for high quality terrain textures to appear.
    • Settings: Resolved - HIGHMEMFIX was enabled by default but could very rarely be disabled at load time.
    • For new installs, we now provide default versions of dll.xml and exe.xml files to improve compatibility with existing addons.

https://www.facebook.com/fsxinsider

Flavio - P3D v4.5 - MSFS 2020 - Win 11 Pro 64
    i912900KF 5.2ghz - ASUS TUFZ690 - AIO Cooler Master PL360 Flux Masterliquid - 32gb Kingston Fury 3600mhz - Asus RTX 2080 Super - AGON 32'' AG323FCXE 165mhz -
    MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics - SSDs M2 2Tb+1Tb XPG

Yep! Thats the advantage of Steam. Fast automatic updates! 1 month out and they are already improving FSX! I approve!
    Kevin "Gibbage" Miller

Interesting. I bought FSX:SE too but till now didnt install it yet, simply no need. If they solved all 32bit problems to 64 I will install it too...
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Not quite yet........

We are pleased to announce a new update coming soon for Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition.

This update resolves several issues reported to us by the FSX: Steam Edition community and will be
    automatically applied to your software via the Steam platform once it’s released.

I wonder if this is going to 'break' FSUIPC4 again as the original FSX-SE did. It would be a shame to have
    this put more of a burden on Pete Dowson if they recompile for each update.

Other than that, this looks promising for future improvements.

Paul

EDIT: I just went on the the AVSIM forum, which is next in line for my daily 'visits' list after A2 and SOH.
    Pete reports that he has a new FSUIPC4 version ready to go when the FSX-SE update is officially released.
    Can't get any better in the support area than that!

Paul

USS Dewey DLG-14, ET"C" School Treasure Island-Instructor, OASU/VX-8 Aircrewman

Quote Originally Posted by GypsyBaron View Post
    I wonder if this is going to 'break' FSUIPC4 again as the original FSX-SE did. It would be a shame to have
    this put more of a burden on Pete Dowson if they recompile for each update.

Other than that, this looks promising for future improvements.

Paul

EDIT: I just went on the the AVSIM forum, which is next in line for my daily 'visits' list after A2 and SOH.
    Pete reports that he has a new FSUIPC4 version ready to go when the FSX-SE update is officially released.
    Can't get any better in the support area than that!

Paul
    That's great that they seem to be working with the community! Great support so far!
    Kevin "Gibbage" Miller

The first "DLC":

Although an old product, it seems "right" to be the first DLC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10887289_1543054102613506_1597967936053487112_o.jpg  
    i912900KF 5.2ghz - ASUS TUFZ690 - AIO Cooler Master PL360 Flux Masterliquid - 32gb Kingston Fury 3600mhz - Asus RTX 2080 Super - AGON 32'' AG323FCXE 165mhz -

Quote Originally Posted by ce_zeta View Post
    What sort of a joke is this?
    Why would you call this a "joke" ?
    This First Class Simulation aircraft is not new, it exists since a long time in a regular, traditionnal "payware addon" shape. That means you have to buy it on an addon website, then receive some activation code by email, then download the archive, then launch the installer and activate/register the product if needed.

Now, this very same addon can be purchases via Steam, which means the buying and installation process is simplified: you buy the plane like any Steam game, and then it gets installed into your FSX-SE automatically without any action from your side. I don't know why anyone would call this a "joke". It just makes addon installation easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    Why would you call this a "joke" ?
    This First Class Simulation aircraft is not new, it exists since a long time in a regular, traditionnal "payware addon" shape. That means you have to buy it on an addon website, then receive some activation code by email, then download the archive, then launch the installer and activate/register the product if needed.

Now, this very same addon can be purchases via Steam, which means the buying and installation process is simplified: you buy the plane like any Steam game, and then it gets installed into your FSX-SE automatically without any action from your side. I don't know why anyone would call this a "joke". It just makes addon installation easier.
    Doh! I throught that this was the first DLC sponsored by Dovetail.

I am waiting the first movement of Dovetail to kidnap the Addons's market (they made an investment...they expect a profit).
    Last edited by ce_zeta; January 12th, 2015 at 07:53.

Update released. Before get it, go grab a new fsuipc copy (4938C) and FSDreamTeam AddonManager.

does anyone know how to install the FTX/Orbix ?........ill use steam happily if i knew how to install that stuff...

Unfortunately Addon Manager from FSDTeam is not working. We will have to wait.

@Daveroo: The same way you use with the older FSX. Nothing changed!

That's it dagnabit! Next time the sale is on I'm plumping for it. At first I was distrustful of DT on Steam but it appears they are committed to updating this pig of a sim. Last night I spent 30 mins planning a flight, 2 hours flying it for the damned thing to freeze and crash on approach to the destination. And that was using only a stock scenery area with the Lear Jet.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

It would suck if the developers made it so that we had to buy addons from their Steam addons page.

Why?As long as the price was the same as their web store for the disk version,then everyone can have it.
    problems may arise if An add on is FSX:SE only perhaps

Liking the FSX:SE so far, its like FSX SP3. Classic ease of use steam, one click away I go. Lovely to see FSX sitting in my steam library, its been a long time coming!

Hi Lewis,
    While you're here: what's your personnal opinion (I mean, A2A's opinion) on the "DLC" format for the planes ? Would the A2A plane appear in DLC format anytime in future ?

Having read the interview on AVSIM, DTG have no plans to alter the relationship between third-party developers (free and pay) and FSX. They will be happy to have developers choose to have their work available as DLC, but there will be no requirement that do so.
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Members who have read this thread: 3