FSX Steam on sale for only $5! Limited time only!

Thread: FSX Steam on sale for only $5! Limited time only!

Hybrid View

FSX Steam on sale for only $5! Limited time only!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/314160/

For those who dont know what Steam is, its a cloud based game distribution network. You buy your game, and install it online on any computer you log into. I have been using Steam for years with no issues and have many games through them. I highly recommend using Steam.

From what the developers said, they have fixed some bugs, and most 3rd party content should still work. I hope further development continues as competition is ALWAYS a good thing.

Even if you already have FSX, NOT having to install from CD's and download X Y AND Z patch is TOTALLY worth 5$. Im also happy to support any developer willing to continue supporting FSX.

Please share you experiences here. Ill be testing both my products (Seabee and Sportstar) tonight and post the results.
    Kevin "Gibbage" Miller

From the developer on Facebook regarding 3rd party add-on's

"There are so many add-ons currently available for FSX that we cannot promise that all of them will work with no issues. FSX: Steam Edition is installed in a different way to the boxed version and occupies a different location so it is possible that some add-ons may not work, but rest assured that we have made every effort to ensure that as many of them as possible work. Where add-ons do not immediately function with FSX: Steam Edition we will try to work with the community, developer or publisher of the add-on to find the solutions as needed. Again, we cannot promise that 100% of all add-ons released over the history of FSX will work with FSX: Steam Edition, but we are committed to trying."
    Kevin "Gibbage" Miller

Good enough for me. For $5, it is worth a try. I already have a Steam account with games I don't play. But will give this a go.

NC

£3.99 here in the UK.

A no brainer for FSX Gold. That includes the Acceleration update and the two service packs.

I sold my FSX for £5.00 a year or so ago, as I was not really using it. I am now back into my flight sim`s, so this is a great deal.

Downloading as I type. 10GB

Kev

Cheers Gibbage, thanks for the HU!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Good enough for me. For $5, it is worth a try. I already have a Steam account with games I don't play. But will give this a go.

NC
    Hi Navy Chief.

If you have installed it can you answer a question for me? Does it go under the "Steam" folder or "Microsoft Games"? I can't imagine why they would do the latter but am very interested.
    Maybe a screen shot in Explorer from the root of the drive to the root of Steam/FSX? I'm basically trying to see if it would be possible to have both installed without interfering with each other and if an installer can figure out which to go to. All without mucking up my current install.

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    Hi Navy Chief.

If you have installed it can you answer a question for me? Does it go under the "Steam" folder or "Microsoft Games"? I can't imagine why they would do the latter but am very interested.
    Maybe a screen shot in Explorer from the root of the drive to the root of Steam/FSX? I'm basically trying to see if it would be possible to have both installed without interfering with each other and if an installer can figure out which to go to. All without mucking up my current install.
    All good questions. I can only tell you at this point that it DOES get installed in the "Steam" folder. I began downloading around 12:30 CST, and currently it is at about 70% completion. Will report back, once installed. NC

So if I understand the installation path correctly, the Steam version FSX files should end up in your Steam folder and remain a separate install from whatever you've assembled on your previously installed CD-version FSX. Am I correct? I need a stock installation but I don't want to endanger what I already have, it would take forever to rebuild it.

Originally Posted by Gibbage
    From the developer on Facebook regarding 3rd party add-on's

"There are so many add-ons currently available for FSX that we cannot promise that all of them will work with no issues. FSX: Steam Edition is installed in a different way to the boxed version and occupies a different location so it is possible that some add-ons may not work, but rest assured that we have made every effort to ensure that as many of them as possible work. Where add-ons do not immediately function with FSX: Steam Edition we will try to work with the community, developer or publisher of the add-on to find the solutions as needed. Again, we cannot promise that 100% of all add-ons released over the history of FSX will work with FSX: Steam Edition, but we are committed to trying."

This isnt good news.
    Price is shocked but I see
    -80%
    4,99€,
    not 5$ .
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Pricing is region specific; for Canada it shows as $5.59. Quite a deal, really.

edit:

It's also worth noting that it's currently sitting at #5 in the top sellers list.
    Jim Stewart

At that price how can you say no?

Even the full price isn't too bad.

If enough people buy it that will be a good indicator to dovetail that there is a big enough market for them to work on a next gen flight sim.

Be interesting to see if the ORBX central program works with Steam FSX. I doubt it will work as is at the moment as the file locations will be all different.

For any simple addons that don't write to locations within FSX then I'd expect them to work as normal. Just install them to the new Steam FSX folder and you should be good to go.

EDIT: But stuff with complex copy protection etc may also not work (eg PMDG as Jimmy points out below).

I was just browsing the Steam discussion forums; it looks like some of the complex stuff such as PMDG isn't compatible at this point.
    Jim Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by anthony31 View Post
    At that price how can you say no?

-SNIP_
    Be interesting to see if the ORBX central program works with Steam FSX. I doubt it will work as is at the moment as the file locations will be all different.

-SNIP-
    One can easily "share" the OrbX folder(s) between two installs simply by moving all the OrbX files to the ROOT of a drive/partition and then
    mounting that drive/partition in the EMPTY OrbX folder of the install.

I have done this in the past to share the OrbX 'folder' and my 'Addon Scenery' folder with my FSX in Win7 and my FSX in XP on
    a dual-boot setup.

I have a new gaming system now with just Win7 Pro x64 but 2 user accounts. One for FSX and one for P3D. I have the OrbX folder configured as a mounted drive in FSX. I haven't installed P3D yet but once I do, that drive will get mounted in the nP3D 'OrbX' empty folder.

This is all done via the Windows 'Manage' 'Storage' feature.

Paul

USS Dewey DLG-14, ET"C" School Treasure Island-Instructor, OASU/VX-8 Aircrewman

it is depends on which country you are
    Here in Brazil just bought by 9,19 R$ it is equal 3,35 U$ :-P

Members who have read this thread: 3