Keyboard "Slow Death"

Thread: Keyboard "Slow Death"

Keyboard "Slow Death"

I've seen some strange computer fails but nothing quite like this. About 6:00 pm last night I'm typing a post on Facebook. It was some kind of wisecrack (typical from me, LOL) so I type a semi-colon and a right parenthesis to get a "wink" smiley and I get nothing on the screen. Try again, nothing. Well, OK, no smiley. Then, over the next half hour I progressively lost more key functions until my whole keyboard is stupid except for some letters on the ASDFGH row. No shift, no caps lock. Re-boot the computer, reload the driver - still stupid. Quick trip to Office Max, got a new keyboard, back in business. Anybody ever see a computer component die in slow-motion?

I guess it depends on the keyboard and how it's built. My kid once had a used computer that came with a wireless board that would falter when the batteries got low enough to sometimes fail to recognize or transmit a command. There's also slow corrosion from that long forgotten soda or water incident or too much exposure to ocean air brine can start the process too.
    W10-64 Pro, 3GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 5570

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    Anybody ever see a computer component die in slow-motion?
    No but I did see this in a computer program once, it was called Microsoft Flight.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

This was a PS/2 plug-in keyboard. What the heck, I only paid about $20 for it so it's served me well. Now it's in my "pile of dead computer stuff".

Yep indeed; has happened to me twice. Both times it was a Ms Natural Kbd and in fairness I used to take them apart to clean them out. (Picture me eating, drinking at the keybd.) They just gave up the ghost and T*ts Up, as they says.

Hmm, insert your own witty saying here --

Charter Member 2016
    Sounds like your keyboard became septic. Probably caused by eating corn dogs and pizza over it. . septicemia set in and gradually various organ systems began to fail. Too bad. . I hope it served you well.

"Those who live by the sword are shot by those who don't"

Quote Originally Posted by Toastmaker View Post
    Sounds like your keyboard became septic. Probably caused by eating corn dogs and pizza over it. . septicemia set in and gradually various organ systems began to fail. Too bad. . I hope it served you well.

Corn dogs and pizza have no place in my diet but dagwood sammiches do. Not to mention the salty nuts (but the price of nuts is slowly eroding that vice.)

Heh, they, not it !! And nope, have not learned lesson at all, at all. But I might just hev ta learn; they're making them harder to get in and harder to fix. Wim (woe is me, for the ininitiated.
    Hmm, insert your own witty saying here --

Members who have read this thread: 0