should dx10 impove performance

Thread: should dx10 impove performance

should dx10 impove performance

Dx10 runs on my system. The shadows look great. I get the runway shimmers etc. But I am wondering should dx10 help performance? I have a dual core i5 2.5gh with 8gb ram, windows 7 professional and a g-force gt 630m gpu.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clmooring View Post
    Dx10 runs on my system. The shadows look great. I get the runway shimmers etc. But I am wondering should dx10 help performance? I have a dual core i5 2.5gh with 8gb ram, windows 7 professional and a g-force gt 630m gpu.
    If your video card will allow it, try it - just tick it on/off in your display settings. For better or for worse, my FSX runs worse (as in, slower FPS) with it ticked off - it's a system roughly comparable to yours (slightly faster CPU and video card).

Another factor is the extent to which you run FS9 portover aircraft. It all depends on the portover; some have zero issues in DX10, some have a few, and some just will not work (at least with the skill/time I have to resolve the issues). If you run the 8-bit texture options, you should have very few issues, so that is the best way to have your DX10 cake and eat it too. I've got roughly a couple dozen or so FS9 portovers that I've tried, and all but one have eventually been cured.

Not running it gives you the greatest latitude vis-à-vis portovers, but I'm curious what your frame rate differential is with DX10 on/off.

dl

If DX10 runs on your system, Steve's DX10 Scenery Fixer is an essential investment to get the most from it. It's an all-in-one package and much better than the individual free fixes available. DX10 ran OK for me but the Scenery Fixer made it run much better and the GUI makes it painless to set up the many extra options.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vortex View Post
    If DX10 runs on your system, Steve's DX10 Scenery Fixer is an essential investment to get the most from it. It's an all-in-one package and much better than the individual free fixes available. DX10 ran OK for me but the Scenery Fixer made it run much better and the GUI makes it painless to set up the many extra options.

This. 100%. The reference to 8-bit was in the context of the Fixer - key for portovers, and as eloquently stated by vortex, just a great all-round FSX enhancement.

Just to add to the good info posted so far ...

DX10 doesn't improve performance if *framerates* is your only target. However - it will allow you to increase your quality sliders a notch or two - and you will have far fewer OOMs and a much *smoother sim all round.

Adam.
    XP11.50 | MSFS 2020
    Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.40-4.69GHz | 8GB DDR3 | nVidia RTX2060 8GB | Win10 2004 64-bit 24Gb RAM

I appreciate all of the good information. I have long since learned that fps is not the only measure of fsx performance. I try to keep the frame rates turned off.

Adam... not sure what OOMs means.

I love the shadows.

Blog Entries
    I appreciate all of the good information. I have long since learned that fps is not the only measure of fsx performance. I try to keep the frame rates turned off.

Adam... not sure what OOMs means.

I love the shadows.

OOM = out of memory error.

Ditto on the FPS. Locking mine at 30 was the best advice that I ignored for too long until I learned the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    OOM = out of memory error.

Ditto on the FPS. Locking mine at 30 was the best advice that I ignored for too long until I learned the hard way.
    I have found that also limiting V-Synch to 1/2 refresh rate (monitor native 60hz refresh = 30Hz) and limiting FPS to 30 in the Nvidia Inspector control panel , though it seems redundant, makes for increased smoothness in the FSX display.
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

the thing that will help you the most is a faster CPU...2.5GhZ will limit your experience no matter what else you do....can you overclock it to 3.0 or higher?
    Some main boards will allow you to select a preset OC setting that is safe for your CPU
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Members who have read this thread: 1