Dohhh, Will someone explain "Steam" to me? No joke - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dohhh, Will someone explain "Steam" to me? No joke

I have steam because I have to have it for Rocksmith. I find it's navigation kind of clunky and clumsy, but outside of that, they do have some great sales there on games.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbage View Post
    I would TOTALLY sell my add-on's on Steam, but I haven't yet seen a game do that on Steam (3rd party). I have seen 3rd party free mods on many games (I play Skyrim and use many mods) and those are VERY easy to share and install, but for me to sell on Steam for FSX? That's a big question, and one im not finding an answer for.
    Farm Simulator does it too I believe. 'Mods' :-)
    François A. 'Navman' Dumas
    Retired - FSAddon Publishing
    Umbria, Italy

https://fssupport.com/fsblog/

So does Train Sim

And you can easily put in 3rd party stuff into a Steam game by dragging files into folders. Something like Asserto Corsa(great racing game) has 3rd party free add ons that you just unzip & drag/drop into the Steam folder(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EMatheson View Post
    There is nothing "not for flight simmers" about it. The prevailing attitude in the FS community is sadly one that is ignorant and afraid of change. If people actually did some basic research instead of sticking their heads in the sand, there'd be a lot less negativity about this in the forums.
    Well mate...I think that the question here is 'Why?'.
    Why I said 'not for flight simmers'?
    Why it's the prevailing attitude in the FS community?

It's because we are ignorants and we are afraid of changes? Maybe. You should do some basic research instead of offend me and offends the entire community. How to perform this basic research? You can make a simple question like why.

Are u ready?

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    I am a bit wary of being dependent on the Internet and of an organization that can disappear and leave me with games that I can’t play anymore because they go bankrupt or so and cannot pay for their internet site. I am not saying that this fear is real; there seems to be an offline mode in Steam but how offline is it?.<o></o>

I am a bit wary of being dependent on the Internet and of an organization that can disappear and leave me with games that I can’t play anymore because they go bankrupt or so and cannot pay for their internet site. I am not saying that this fear is real; there seems to be an offline mode in Steam but how offline is it?.>>

Well, first of all, if Valve (the company that owns and operates Steam) were to go broke, it would have to be because the internet stopped working, or the apocalypse arrived.

However, offline mode does work very well. It is purely dependent on the individual games being able to function offline though, so it's not always a sure thing (depending on the game in question) that you'll be able to play any particular game. It seems that more and more, developers are requiring an online connection, even in games that are 100% single player.
    Jim Stewart

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, Jimmy, I get your point. My fears are most likely not justified.<o></o>

Steam also has an "offline" mode that you can play for 30 days before you need to "phone home" to validate your license.

I think Steam is the most stable (financially and technically) platform, considering both Live and GameSpy already closed down... Valve is making more money then most country's with Steam so I don't see that stopping any time soon. Also, you will still have your original FSX, so this wont replace FSX, but I think complement it.
    Kevin "Gibbage" Miller

Smile

Up on Steam now,and 80% off!
    So hopefully a lot more people will now get into it

Members who have read this thread: 2