Help with DBS Studio Airport GPS

Thread: Help with DBS Studio Airport GPS

Help with DBS Studio Airport GPS

This is a repeat request and I may not get any more responses than I did the last time, which I believe was "one", and that was only to say they'd never heard of the program . . .so if you've never heard of it, please refrain from making that comment. I am hoping that someone here has heard of, used it, installed it successfully in P3D_V2.4 and can tell me what the secret is to getting it to work.

I purchased the program from Simmarket, it was advertised as being compatible with P3D_V1X & 2X. Why am I here instead of in the P3D Forums. . .because the P3D Forums are so deserted you can hear the echo when you load it up. This is where everyone stays for the news. So I have my best chance of getting an answer and getting it in a timely manner. Why am I here instead of on the developers website. . .because after 4 e-mails, 1 idiotic response, a letter to simmarket advising them of the problem (they won't help in cases like this) and basically being ignored by the company after repeated requests for help and refusing to refund the purchase price. . .I am here to see if someone knows why this doesn't work. The name of the company is in the thread heading and a google search will bring it to the top of the search findings.

Installation requires that "Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013" be installed as well as a specific "dll" file. Those have been installed and unless there's a secret to doing that. . .they should be installed where they belong. Despite all this, this simple program which runs on a few "dll's" and a database compiler refuses to run. . .and the company refuses to help. Is anyone familiar with this program?

Did you install the .dll as noted on DBS' homepage?

http://www.dbsim.com/aptgps/dbs.aptgps.htm

If this doesn't work, it's a clear case for DBS' customer support instead of SOH though.

I had it installed and working ok with FSX but one day, for no apparent reason, it ceased functioning.
    Like you, I tried to get help and got none to speak of. I uninstalled/reinstalled it several times but never could get it to work.
    I finally gave up and uninstalled it for keeps. Too bad----it was rather nice while it was working.
    Good luck
    Neal H

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Did you install the .dll as noted on DBS' homepage?

http://www.dbsim.com/aptgps/dbs.aptgps.htm

If this doesn't work, it's a clear case for DBS' customer support instead of SOH though.
    Yep on several levels, as noted above, I installed all the extra's as required. Also, as noted above, there is no DBS Customer Support regardless of what their website proclaims. I had to chuckle reading their so-called business model. . .when it got to the ones about customer support. . .none of that is true. It doesn't appear that the program, despite being a good idea, is worth the trouble, just irritating that they can sell their products through simmarket, take your money, supply no customer support and laugh all the way to the bank. Clearly a company that needs an attitude adjustment.

There's another possibility regarding the needed .dll. It involves copying the 32bit and/or 64bit version into "Windows\System32" (32bit) or "Windows\SysWOW64" (64bit) folders and then registering them in the command window like this:
    Code:
    regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\[name of the dll].dll
    or
    Code:
    regsvr32 c:\windows\sysWOW64\[name of the dll].dll

I don't know if this will be remedy in this case, but to get Radar Contact working on Windows Vista or 7, you'll need to do something similar (and it works every time).

Perhaps someone might have tried support, you'd have found the links don't load anything. I just saw another thread addressing a DBS Studio product on the flightsim.com forums. It's possible that the various vendors selling this stuff don't know that the support website is down, that the main website is down, and that the developer had a blog, still online, that hasn't updated in six years.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxLegroom View Post
    Perhaps someone might have tried support, you'd have found the links don't load anything. I just saw another thread addressing a DBS Studio product on the flightsim.com forums. It's possible that the various vendors selling this stuff don't know that the support website is down, that the main website is down, and that the developer had a blog, still online, that hasn't updated in six years.
    Actually, you're about 4 years late on this thread. Regarding the Vendors lack of knowledge about Support websites. . .they don't really care. If you request support they will refer you to the developers website (vendors are not responsible for support), but if it's down, dead, hasn't been updated in 6 or 7 years. . .oh well.

Thanks for the info, however this is old news and no longer worthy of further discussion.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Members who have read this thread: 0