... other Whitleys ...

Thread: ... other Whitleys ...

... other Whitleys ...

Shessi's recent releases have inspired me to look at Bomber Command "heavy" ops in more detail, particularly the early war period.

Anybody know if there is a paradrop supply canister? I think Rockster only did paras & palletised loads, but no canister.

I think the mapping for the Whitley I is the same as the Vb freighter, so I'll try that one next ...

Thanks UT, something different.

(yes, the mapping is the same)

At some stage in the far distant future I will re-vamp the MkI/III, and include a lowering ventral dustbin gun position etc...

Cheers

Shessi

Mark, you've got more than enough on with the Hallybags

The MkIII Whitleys were only dropping leaflets until the Spring of 1940, when they were relegated to the OTUs. The Mk Vb freighter was only in short term use by BOAC & was quickly replaced on the Gibraltar run by Hudsons.

Hardly high priority for overhauls, & some new paint can go a long way for the limited use they'll see...

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTgt View Post

Anybody know if there is a paradrop supply canister? I think Rockster only did paras & palletised loads, but no canister.
    Uncle

I have a nagging memory that someone made one for CFS1 - but - assuming I'm not going senile and making it up - I'm d****d if I can find it.

Cheers
    BuV

Quote Originally Posted by blohmundvoss View Post

I have a nagging memory that someone made one for CFS1 - but - assuming I'm not going senile and making it up - I'm d****d if I can find it.
    Two names from the distant past: James Ellwood made an object for CFS1 that - according to the dp file - consists of a parachute & crate, developed from an API by Steve Seybolt. I say 'according' because nothing I do makes it appear in the sim. Ho hum. Maybe somebody wants a project to occupy them when they get bored over Christmas.

BuV

Hi BnV,

I've already decompiled/ resized & recompiled Jim Jacobsens paras bgls to fit the fuselage of the Whitley (-20%). I haven't tried his palletised load yet, I was hoping to find a cylindrical canister load (for those SOE supply drop missions). Like a Depth Charge with a chute... Like you, I couldn't find anything out there.

In the meantime I've been trying to get a better airfile sorted for that iconic nose-down attitude in level flight, & some expanded dp files for all the different versions.

Oh, and a few paints too...

Speaking of SOE and cannisters, I was reading Bernard O'Connor's 'RAF Tempsford' recently in which he quotes the story of how passengers on the London-Edinburgh line that passed by the airfield were heard discussing what the Special Duties Lysanders, - equipped with the big drop tank and parked on the perimeter - could be used for, before deciding that they must be torpedo bombers!

Looking forward to anything you can add to the great Whitley package.

Cheers
    BuV

Night run to Malta ...

Uses most of the mapping from the Whitley I, but the tail mapping is different...

Canister

Hi Uncle

don't suppose the air drop mine I did for the Barracuda III would be any good would it -- perhaps you can add the chute ?

baldy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

baldy's stuff at:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...rid=480&sort=d

Members who have read this thread: 3