FSX: The 1940 Fokker T.5 bomber released - Page 2
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891012 ... LastLast

Thread: FSX: The 1940 Fokker T.5 bomber released

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Wow the very secret Fokker T.V glider bomber. A predecessor of the stealth bomber

But it looks good Dan and you are making progress quite fast.

Cheers,
    Huub
    He sure is making fast progress!

Cees

Members +
    Thank you for sharing. It is amazing to be there at the birth of a plane, & watch it evolve.
    Many thanks.

Thanks guys, I really love the job!

I couldn't resist to put two Mercury's on the bird I understood the Pegasus (XXVI) and the Mercury are relatives, so changing the Mercury into a Pegasus won't be too difficult.

I need references though. Does someone have (good) photographs, drawings, sketches of this engine? I found Google a little disappointing this time...
    dutcheeseblend.blogspot.nl

Living by the grace of our Lord

Daan, I have Alec Lumsden's standard work on British Piston Aero engine. So I'm sure I will be able to dig up some information. But in general the Pegasus is the long stroke version of the Mercury. Therefore the main difference is the diameter which is 55.3 inch or the Pegasus, compared with the 51.5 inch for the Mercury.
    Like the Mercury there was a plate behind/between the cylinders to guide the airflow. Although this plate was a bit further to the back. (I have a picture of it, but am not able to scan it right now).

Below a picture of the Pegasus XXI which looks very similar to the XXVI, although the last one was designed to coop with a constant speed propeller.

Cheers,
    Huub

Thanks Huub! So far, it appears to me I only need to change the cylinder's length. That's not too difficult.
    The Pegasus looks even simpler than the Mercury.

The modification proved to be not difficult at all. I changed the Mercury a little now it is a Pegasus. Maybe some things need to be changed yet, like texture which I'm not really satisfied of, should be less colourful...

Anyway, both model...

...and texture shots.

I keep on updating, but progress is going on nicely, so...

I added the vertical stabilizers and refined both the vertical and horizontal tail. There's a tailplane now, with elevators and rudders and trim surfaces.

Daan,

At this pace you'll be ready by Christmas!

Cees

Good looking airplane, but kinda looks like a Mitchell that didn't eat its Wheaties...

I guess the same could be said...for the...Ercoupe. OK, moving on!

N.

Thanks! I feel quite satisfied about the progress, better than I expected.
    The Mitchell is a contemporary of the T.5 (eh, the Dutch birds didn't have names, right?) but from a half generation later... The T.9, the all-metal descendant of the T.5, could be better considered as contemporary to the Mitchell, I think.

The nose cone had a very nice view. There's even a photograph from this greenhouse to the outside, which I believe is unique in the Dutch pre-war context (read: no photographs of anything).

Thanks! I feel quite satisfied about the progress, better than I expected.
    The Mitchell is a contemporary of the T.5 (eh, the Dutch birds didn't have names, right?) but from a half generation later... The T.9, the all-metal descendant of the T.5, could be better considered as contemporary to the Mitchell, I think.

The nose cone had a very nice view. There's even a photograph from this greenhouse to the outside, which I believe is unique in the Dutch pre-war context (read: no photographs of anything).

Started work on the undercarriage. This is what I have at the moment, Main Landing Gear.

Continued work on the Main Landing Gear. The red rods are Remove Before Flight things, they were used to prevent retracting the gear while on the ground. They had to be removed before flight.
    As you can see, there are drawings available, but as soon as you're making progress, there's still not enough detail. So, if anyone has drawings/photographs of both the gear and/or the wheelbay, please...?

Amazing how much it already looks like a real T-V!

Personally I don't think there was much in the wheel well. The oil tank was there, directly behind the engine and the structure to support the under carriage. Perhaps the fire extinguishers for the engine. Knowing the Fokker's logic approach, I assume it was very similar to the wheel well of the G-1.

Cheers,
    Huub

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post

Personally I don't think there was much in the wheel well. The oil tank was there, directly behind the engine and the structure to support the under carriage.
    Here's a drawing that shows the location of the oil tanks: http://sobchak.files.wordpress.com/2...kkert5_cut.jpg

Some more details here, including a view of the retracted undercarriage: http://www.bhummel.dds.nl/gif/TV1.jpg

Couldn't find any photos though..
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Thanks for the input guys! I think the G.1 is a good starting point. What I don't understand though, the main gear strut of the G.1 has a circular cross-section, but the strut of the T.5 has a square cross-section. Not very logical, IMHO.

It looks great Daan! (Don't forget to study!)

Cees

Thanks Cees!

Well, the reason for being able of putting a lot of time in this aircraft, is that I'm on practical internship now. So evening means freetime, weekend means freetime. No study for a while! And guess where I have that internship..

Uhhh.....Fokker?

Cees

Cees, I'm at the Slobbengors place, next to Veerdam. Anyway: made some wheelbayprogress tonight. I added some ribs and the two main wing spars, played with the forged brackets so everything looks a bit better now. Some hoses might follow in the future to complete it.

Difficult to find a good camera position, but I hope it's clear for you.

Twin engine aircraft have always been my favorite planes, I see this is going to be one of them. Dutcheeseblend you are a modeling machine, vary nice work!!!!
    Marvin Carter
    No matter how hard you try, you can't baptize cats.

Thanks Marvin!

One motivation for this project was the amount of systems in this aircraft. The T.5 is a real step forward, there's hydraulics, there's electronics, there's a bombardment system, there are various stations inside the airplane with each its own panel.
    Enough fun for me, I expect

This thing is going to be fantastic!! I can't wait to fly it along with the Koolhoven and the D.XXI!

Marc
    Marc H. Burcham
    Stone Mountain, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by burcham8 View Post
    This thing is going to be fantastic!! I can't wait to fly it along with the Koolhoven and the D.XXI!

Marc
    That makes two of us (and I bet a whole lot more!).

Cees

While waiting for the T-V..... A nice couple......

Members who have read this thread: 3