FSX: The 1940 Fokker T.5 bomber released - Page 21
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1113141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: FSX: The 1940 Fokker T.5 bomber released

Hi guys,

First of all, thanks for the enthusiasm, it's a real delight for me to see this!

One question: has anyone had problems with the radios? I've received messages from a user, who has problems with the radio. The symptoms are a bit strange, and I've never had problems, but maybe I overlooked something.

Quote Originally Posted by mikezola View Post
    Greetings-

Downloaded her, installed her, took her for a quick spin(it does jump right off the runway, doesn't it?)... All I can say is WOW... what an achievement!
    This work should be set up in an appropriate museum on a huge monitor where people can see a piece of history re-created in such beautiful detail.

Way to go, Daan! - Mike Z.
    Mike, thanks! Yes, she's quite jumpy in take-off indeed. The run is in accordance to the original numbers, and the initial climb speed isn't that large. Anyway it keeps surprising me, too.

Quote Originally Posted by glh View Post
    I do believe this can be fixed under the [propeller] section of the acft.cfg file by inserting "rotation = 1, 1" (or -1, -1 as the case may be). Leave the quotes out.
    I'll see what I can fix. The main drawback is, that the starting animation is custom coded and completely passes the default starting.
    dutcheeseblend.blogspot.nl

Living by the grace of our Lord

Ditto, way to go!!

Same as all of the positive comments above. A real work of art, with great attention to detail, particularly impressed with the interior. It certainly gets airborne rapidly, and it initially took me some practice to nail the speed on final approach, but when it’s accomplished, beautiful three-pointers can be done. The only very minor problem I’ve had, is I can’t seem to un-cage the D.G. after setting runway heading. Any ideas? Again many congratulations. Magnificent.

Hi Cat,

Thanks for these words!

The D.G. is quite inoperational. Since its function wasn't clear to me, I neglected it.
    Probably will need to enhance this as well.

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by Dutcheeseblend View Post
    Hi guys,

First of all, thanks for the enthusiasm, it's a real delight for me to see this!

One question: has anyone had problems with the radios? I've received messages from a user, who has problems with the radio. The symptoms are a bit strange, and I've never had problems, but maybe I overlooked something.

Mike, thanks! Yes, she's quite jumpy in take-off indeed. The run is in accordance to the original numbers, and the initial climb speed isn't that large. Anyway it keeps surprising me, too.

Hi Dutcheeseblend,

Yes I have issues with the radio's (and the autopilot, so probably the avionics are not started up correctly). Since I allways start from Cold & Dark I thought that I was doing something wrong in the start-up procedure.
    This did not deter from having lots of fun with this machine!

Brgds,

Marijn

Hi Marijn,

That's a pity.
    Can you describe the behaviour?
    I'm not a solid coder, so

I might need a coder to look at it.

Cheers, Daan

Same old issue I guess. I started up from cold & dark by closing all systems on the T5.
    Then follow the procedures as per the manual.

When I start up by using the default Cessna 172 > bring that to close & dark and then switch the airplane to the T5 all is well...

Radio's and autopilot work as expected.

By the way... she's lovely! Thank you so much!

Hi Daan,

I did some more checking, when starting up with the T5 as my plane of choice no radios or AP available. Even when just left as is (i.e no Cold & Dark set-up) No mather what I do to whatever switch is making the radios come alive.
    However, as stated before, starting a default flight with a default plane and then switch to the T5 makes it all work right!

So if anybody is having the same issue (probably related to our specific set-up or system) just start a default flight with a default plane and then switch to the T5.

I am running FSX-SE on windows 10 and some planes need to be the start-up plane ( most A2A aircraft, MJ C-47 for example) and some others only work if the flight was started up using a default plane.

A bit of trail and error but... it works!

So I am flying around my virtual world in a wonderfull T5 and could not be more happy

Quote Originally Posted by marijn View Post
    Hi Daan,

I did some more checking, when starting up with the T5 as my plane of choice no radios or AP available. Even when just left as is (i.e no Cold & Dark set-up) No mather what I do to whatever switch is making the radios come alive.
    However, as stated before, starting a default flight with a default plane and then switch to the T5 makes it all work right!

So if anybody is having the same issue (probably related to our specific set-up or system) just start a default flight with a default plane and then switch to the T5.

I am running FSX-SE on windows 10 and some planes need to be the start-up plane ( most A2A aircraft, MJ C-47 for example) and some others only work if the flight was started up using a default plane.

A bit of trail and error but... it works!

So I am flying around my virtual world in a wonderfull T5 and could not be more happy
    I've been in touch with Daan over the same issue and have found the workaround as you indicated. In one instance the radio worked for a few minutes, then went dead. I'm running FSXA in Win 8.1.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

reloading the aircraft after startup of your flight (selecting the same aircraft from your menu) whilst sitting in the VC also works...for me at least

Quote Originally Posted by marijn View Post
    reloading the aircraft after startup of your flight (selecting the same aircraft from your menu) whilst sitting in the VC also works...for me at least
    Yeah, that works. However, after a couple if minutes the radio dies. The ATC window is open, but I cannot transmit nor receive any messages until I reload the aircraft. Almost as if there is a built-in power failure or fault.
    -- WH

On page 33 of the manual there is reference to the "veld" knob. (Knob 6 on the electrical panel.)Veld is field in English. This knob adjusts the field coils of the generators to keep the supply vs load in check. If you start putting too much load on the system without adjusting the generator output, power will start to draw from the batteries draining them. In short we are the voltage regulator in this plane!

Watch the three ammeters on the electrical panel. The upper one is the draw on the system. It is around 50A. You need to adjust the generator output via the Veld knob to get the upper ammeter to zero out. All electrical power is then being supplied by the generators (using both in parallel reduces the strain on each) while the battery maintains its charge. If you turn the battery switch off in the cockpit the amps on the upper meter will go from zero to the 25A on the left indicating a charge. (The meter actually pegs out as you are supplying the battery with whatever is coming out of the generator(s).) The voltmeter however does not go to zero so it must be directly attached to the battery at all times. If you fly around with the landing lights on and the gens off you will see the volts start to drop.

In addition from that awesome bit of programming in the sim this thing is just top shelf! I absolutely LOVE the view out the front when taxying! I would like to shake the hand of whoever at Fokker decided to mount the instrument panel off to the side like that! The only thing I myself am having difficulty with is elevator trim. I'll set it and it'll fly level for a while then climb. I'll re-trim, it'll fly level for a while then dive. Is this a glitch or is it true to life?

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Patterson View Post
    On page 33 of the manual there is reference to the "veld" knob. (Knob 6 on the electrical panel.)Veld is field in English. This knob adjusts the field coils of the generators to keep the supply vs load in check. If you start putting too much load on the system without adjusting the generator output, power will start to draw from the batteries draining them. In short we are the voltage regulator in this plane!

Watch the three ammeters on the electrical panel. The upper one is the draw on the system. It is around 50A. You need to adjust the generator output via the Veld knob to get the upper ammeter to zero out. All electrical power is then being supplied by the generators (using both in parallel reduces the strain on each) while the battery maintains its charge. If you turn the battery switch off in the cockpit the amps on the upper meter will go from zero to the 25A on the left indicating a charge. (The meter actually pegs out as you are supplying the battery with whatever is coming out of the generator(s).) The voltmeter however does not go to zero so it must be directly attached to the battery at all times. If you fly around with the landing lights on and the gens off you will see the volts start to drop.

In addition from that awesome bit of programming in the sim this thing is just top shelf! I absolutely LOVE the view out the front when taxying! I would like to shake the hand of whoever at Fokker decided to mount the instrument panel off to the side like that! The only thing I myself am having difficulty with is elevator trim. I'll set it and it'll fly level for a while then climb. I'll re-trim, it'll fly level for a while then dive. Is this a glitch or is it true to life?
    Hi Josh!,

That electrical behaviour is exactly the way I intended it to work.
    The D.21 also has this kind of system, but not sophisticated. We found out how it worked with the help of an ESA electrical engineer.
    Glad to see that it is acknowledged!
    The voltmeter is always connected to the battery. In fact, I created an xml gauge that has a battery state of charge, which is in fact just a number (indicating the Coulombs) and when this number reaches a certain value (-26xxxx), all systems should go black.
    This system also ensures one can start the engine until the battery is drained. So you can wait for a number of blades passing by, etc. This only applies when using the manual starting procedure.

The cockpit layout design ultimately proved not very efficient, the military eventually advised to make a side-by-side cockpit next time. Yet, it is very useful at high attitude situations.

There are stories from this alley. You couldn't walk while connected to the oxygen supply units, so it happened often that someone went unconscious. "Dan lag er weer een blauw in het gangetje."

Regarding the trims: the way you describe it, it's always been like that. Now I must admit I'm not a real life aviator. The airplane is quite easy to fly, so if that's the only difficulty...

Why the radio's refuse to work in some cases, is quite unclear to me. It might be the electrical system, but this only prevents one to use the radios from the machine interface. From the ATC window it should still work. And besides that, the system won't drain in 'a few minutes'. Every xml gauge has its own update frequency, does the framerate matter for that?

Kind regards,

Daan

Quote Originally Posted by Dutcheeseblend View Post
    Hi Josh!,

That electrical behaviour is exactly the way I intended it to work.
    The D.21 also has this kind of system, but not sophisticated. We found out how it worked with the help of an ESA electrical engineer.
    Glad to see that it is acknowledged!
    The voltmeter is always connected to the battery. In fact, I created an xml gauge that has a battery state of charge, which is in fact just a number (indicating the Coulombs) and when this number reaches a certain value (-26xxxx), all systems should go black.
    This system also ensures one can start the engine until the battery is drained. So you can wait for a number of blades passing by, etc. This only applies when using the manual starting procedure.

The cockpit layout design ultimately proved not very efficient, the military eventually advised to make a side-by-side cockpit next time. Yet, it is very useful at high attitude situations.

There are stories from this alley. You couldn't walk while connected to the oxygen supply units, so it happened often that someone went unconscious. "Dan lag er weer een blauw in het gangetje."

Regarding the trims: the way you describe it, it's always been like that. Now I must admit I'm not a real life aviator. The airplane is quite easy to fly, so if that's the only difficulty...

Why the radio's refuse to work in some cases, is quite unclear to me. It might be the electrical system, but this only prevents one to use the radios from the machine interface. From the ATC window it should still work. And besides that, the system won't drain in 'a few minutes'. Every xml gauge has its own update frequency, does the framerate matter for that?

Kind regards,

Daan
    Yes. I have not experienced the ATC window (radios) not working. What I observed while using the electrical system is that the battery drain with the generators off and equipment on is really quite slow and it takes a while to notice a voltage drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Patterson View Post
    Yes. I have not experienced the ATC window (radios) not working. What I observed while using the electrical system is that the battery drain with the generators off and equipment on is really quite slow and it takes a while to notice a voltage drop.
    Sure is quite slow. It can run on full load some twenty minutes I believe (tested it long ago). The battery has a capacity of 73 Ah.

Edit: though maybe that would heat the battery too much. Not simulated however.

Guys, a few thoughts from me.

Right now after release, there's a few issues surfacing:
    - Incorrect prop rotation direction
    - Inoperative Directional Gyro
    - Manual references to Bombsight are incorrect
    - Radio and autopilot problems (still not solved)
    - Base material color appears dirty
    - Crew texture sheet need optimization
    - Users not installing the P3D panel folder to enjoy the enhanced sounds

What do you think would be most effective? Publishing a hotfix or waiting some time and then release a V1.2?

Let me know.

I would prefer waiting for 1.2. Incremental updates at random can become confusing and later on, re-installs can become problematic if you also have to keep track of the sequence of the update releases.
    Matt

Hi Daan,

She is perfectly flyable and does not need an ad-hoc fix IMHO. If you want to address some issues, best would be to release a "complete" fix as a new version.
    Just my two cents..

But there is one other issue.... maybe you should add a notice about the addictive nature of this plane. I can't leave her alone!

brgds,

Marijn

My preference would be not to release anything until there is a fix for the radio and autopilot. I haven't noticed the other issues as I've been more focused on interacting with ground control and ATC. I'd be satisfied with a temporary fix that would circumvent the modeled radio aspect and rely on the stock FSX radios.
    -- WH

Quote Originally Posted by aeronca1 View Post
    I would prefer waiting for 1.2. Incremental updates at random can become confusing and later on, re-installs can become problematic if you also have to keep track of the sequence of the update releases.
    I fully agree, take your time to release V1.2 , no hurry
    The more you do, the less you dream

Thanks guys, good to read!

A. Ludick made a nice repaint of the 857 in the early tricolor roundels. Reason enough to make a formation flight with another red-white-blue Fokker: the D.21.

I will ask if he will upload the repaint!

Dutcheeseblend, I just wish to echo the many great sentiments expressed on this forum. I'm running your model on FSX-A boxed and Have no issues that haven't been reported. Your attention to detail in the visuals, the sound, and the handling is extraordinary. It handles like one would expect a big heavy aircraft to fly. I'm truly enjoying this grand ole bird and she is such a joy to fly. Thank you for a wonderful gift and I'm sure you're glad your baby is finally flying. Your sense of dedication is unparalleled. Thank you, kind Sir.. and may you and your family experience a very Happy New Year. Terry

Hello Dutcheeseblend,
    -Thank you again for this superb machine!
    I find that the reflections in the cockpit windows are too pronounced, would it be possible to have a version without these reflections or attenuated reflections?
    Thank you in advance!

Alain

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Nice repaint, hope it gets uploaded somewhere!

A prototype silver repaint would be nice as well (Even though the production model slightly differs from the prototype.)
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Quote Originally Posted by alain0568 View Post
    Hello Dutcheeseblend,
    -Thank you again for this superb machine!
    I find that the reflections in the cockpit windows are too pronounced, would it be possible to have a version without these reflections or attenuated reflections?
    Thank you in advance!

Alain
    Hi Alain,

Thanks for your comment!
    I have a few questions:
    1. What sim are you using it in?
    2. Could you post an image showing how you perceive it?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferry_vO View Post
    Nice repaint, hope it gets uploaded somewhere!

A prototype silver repaint would be nice as well (Even though the production model slightly differs from the prototype.)
    Hi Ferry, yeah, but I've hear rumors someone is making the prototype paint indeed!

Members who have read this thread: 3