FSX: The 1940 Fokker T.5 bomber released
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FSX: The 1940 Fokker T.5 bomber released

Hybrid View

FSX: The 1940 Fokker T.5 bomber released

Hi everybody,

Thought I might post some WIP stuff here about my next project: the Fokker T.5 bomber for FSX. Work is still being done on the D.21, keep that in mind.

Anyway, let me tell you guys the complete outline of this project.
    Back in September, I started research for a T.5, whether it should be possible to create one for FSX or not. I got loads of information (but still lacking a lot, as always) and decided to continue.
    Then I came in touch with mr. Wim Anceaux (www.anceaux.nl). He is a relative of W.F. Anceaux, who was the pilot of the T.5 that made a mission to the bridges near Moerdijk and Dordrecht in May 1940, in order to stop the German invasion. The date: 13th of May, 1940. The bombing mission however failed and even the bomber was shot down, killing its entire crew. Actually, they were prepared for this on the airfield, since circumstances were criticial. Another well-known crewmember of this mission is Ben Swagerman. One C-130 Hercules is named after him.

Mr. Wim Anceaux has organised two memorials for this particular crash in the past, but wants to organise a bigger one in May 2015. We had some contact and I came up with the idea to produce a video of the FSX T.5, which should be shown on this memorial (13-5-2015). Since I don't have the smallest experience in this video-producing, I eventually contacted Jonah (JRSchiphol, YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7g...86yUxsilI0nEDg). He will create the video for the memorial.

To get things done before May, I'll create the exterior model first, also because the VC will take much much much longer time. I'm quite excited about this project and I hope for succes!

Hope I made things clear!

Now for the pictures. I've posted some on my blog and on other forums, so I'll start with the current status. There they are.

dutcheeseblend.blogspot.nl

Living by the grace of our Lord

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Looks like you are off to a good start, Daan!

And for those who've never heard of the T.5 before (I can image more than a few..), here's how it looked:

Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Looks very promising already! The shape is very recognisable.

Performance of the T.V was in the same range as the Handley-Page Hampden. Technically an interesting aircraft as it had 2 cockpits. So instead of one VC this model will most probably need 2 VCs

Cheers,
    Huub

Looks very good Daan.

Cees

Great initiative! Best of luck creating this beautiful plane! Looks like Bristol Pegasus powered plane, right ?

Lucas

You're correct about the engines Lucas. Bristol engines were the only engines available for the Dutch so close before the war.
    As the Dutch didn't produce their own engines, the were depending on the countries, who were already preparing for the war. Most sophisticated engine were already used for their own war industrie.

It's wonderful, dutcheeseblend! :thumbup:
    Miro

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 GHz, AMD (GigaByte) Radeon R9 280X Series @ 3GB Video, ATI Radeon SoundCard, GigaByte FX-990GAUD, Samsung 840EVO SSD @ 120GB, WD Caviar Blue @ 1TB

Just recovering from a first-release-stress-day

I detailed the engine cowling area and made the cowl flaps. I also added the exhaust and inlets.

In the rear section, a door is provided as main entrance.

The flaps have a strange configuration. The nacelle's rear end in fact blocked the inboard flap, so the cut that chunk of and attached it to the flap, basically. This is no fantasy! There are photographs where we can see the split.

Holly Molly this thing is going to be sooo sweet!!!
    Marvin Carter
    No matter how hard you try, you can't baptize cats.

Cees

Thanks!

I made the cowl flaps/cooling gills and animated them (done using bones, hope it will work in FSX).

Closed:

Open:

After searching online for good references on these gills, I have the idea that the Bristol Blenheim has the same system.

The inner workings have to be made yet. This will be a bit of fantasy, there's no photo of the T.5 where we can see it. The only thing I know is that the gills were driven by a Rotax-engine N3 EC. Ah, and with Mollart linkages... So in fact, the maximum gill angle is 30 deg now, since I don't know that either.

A nice Christmas "gift" Daan!
    Miro

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 GHz, AMD (GigaByte) Radeon R9 280X Series @ 3GB Video, ATI Radeon SoundCard, GigaByte FX-990GAUD, Samsung 840EVO SSD @ 120GB, WD Caviar Blue @ 1TB

Nice progress this week! I learned rigging and tried to apply it on my Fokker T.5 main landing gear. After numerous trials, I finally got a true mechanical animation, so I'm happy about that.
    There were sleeves around the actuators (as can be seen in my previous WIP images), but since they're difficult to rig (for me at least) and have a lot more vertices, I'm considering leaving them and use blank actuators instead.
    Wheel still missing here. I should rig that too...

Gear extended:

Partly retracted:

Fully retracted:

Nice work Daan, you really are making great progress!

Huub

Today I started the interior for the exterior model. Nose section is done so far.

Cees

Wow what a great model! :-) Bravo Daan!
    Miro

Ok, made my official first flight today! Since I never made the official D.21 first flight in fact, I now decided to do it a bit fancy Location is Eindhoven Welschap, made by Cees.

There she is, next to the civilian relative F.36.

As you can see, I didn't configure the contactpoints yet. It is based upon the default DC3 now...

One more time. Basic material colors still, no texturing yet.

Come aboard! The main entry was at the right side, behind the wing.

This is what the cockpit looks at the moment. I made today the framework for the Solothurn cannon, to be placed in the nose cone.

From the position of the tailgunner, one's got a very nice view. Here you see both the old Welschap and Eindhoven AB!

Near Bergen, a shot from the tail gunner turret. Enough detail for the exterior model IMHO.

Coming in at Welschap!

The T.5 will now go the the hangar for modifications and further development!

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Looks great Daan, but I don't think the bulkheads were visible behind the second cockpit? From drawings it seems there's a cover with a gun slot above an open space between the radios and the second cockpit.

http://i.imgur.com/lFt3QVI.jpg

BTW Do you know what the contraption below the nose is in this drawing?
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Thanks Ferry!

It's a good drawing, from a good resource. Herman Somberg was a factory artist for Fokker in the '30s. The drawing is not accurate at some points though. The contraption is, I believe, a measurement instrument's frame for the prototype, not present on the production models.

About the gun cover: thanks! You might have seen my request at NLV, it was also for information on this point. I have the drawing, but I totally missed it to use it for the rear gunner's station. I believe a same kind of cover was used on the C.X... There are AFAIK no photographs of the T.5 that show this place from above, sadly. So I think I'll adopt the drawing.

Daan,

That Eindhoven is from NL2000? The stock airport must be completely gone as far as I know.

Cees

Looking extremely nice Daan!
    Miro

Members who have read this thread: 3