Black water.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black water.

Black water.

I have a large problem. I downloaded the new FSWC water config.
    from Striking software. Tried one of their presets and now the water
    has turned jet black. I have been trying everything I can think of
    without any luck. Any ideas on how I could fix this. water is still ok
    in DX9.
    Here's hoping.
    Anthin.

Try reloading the Water Options in DX10 Fixer's control panel. If that simple fix fails you might have to delete the Shaders10 folder and let the sim rebuild it (will happen automatically the next you you open the sim).

HTH

Greg
    i7-8086K @ 5.3GHz, ASUS Maximus XI Hero, MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X driving a 27" 2K LCD, G.Skill 16GB 3600, Samsung 512GB 970 Pro NVMe (OS and P3Dv4) and WD 2TB Black, Win 10 Pro.

Where do I find that shader10 folder?
    Thanks Anthin.

What OS are you using?
    i7-8086K @ 5.3GHz, ASUS Maximus XI Hero, MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X driving a 27" 2K LCD, G.Skill 16GB 3600, Samsung 512GB 970 Pro NVMe (OS and P3Dv4) and WD 2TB Black, Win 10 Pro.

Windows 7 64bit Home Premium.

It's at: C:/User/(Your Name)/AppData/Local/Microsoft/FSX. Just delete the Shaders10 folder, then go fly in FSX.

Greg

Greg. I have tried that path but I keep getting not Local Roaming and a message says cant find it.
    my flight sim is on my E drive.

Anthin

Do you have a "Users" folder on the root of the E: drive? If so, try there. Also, a search should yield the location... there are only two folders in that specific FSX folder: Shaders (DX9) and Shaders10 (DX10). No need to delete the Shaders folder, just the Shaders10.

Greg

Finally found the Shaders 10 and deleted them
    Started the sim,still Black water. Also a large patch of white water.
    Will try again.

Anthin

I'm curious what happens if you now go into the DX10 Fixer and reapply the Water Options?

Greg

Edit: Also, did you configure using FSWC+'s DX10 settings?

Yes I did
    My warer button is greyed out in the fixer.
    Is there a way to reinstall it wit the button
    not greyed out?

Anthin

Might be time time to consider removing FSWC+... just to test the situation. You say the water is fine in DX9, so perhaps removing the program, then deleting the Shaders10 folder and re-applying DX10 Fixer's Water Options.

Others here have added FSWC+ and are running fine in DX10, so hopefully they can weigh in on this issue.

Greg

Edit: Just saw where you added the greyed out Water Options button in DX10 Fixer. Just uninstall then reinstall the Libraries... the button is near the top of the Fixer's page.

Will try that. Going to take a break for a while as I am in a lot of pain
    Anthin.

I hope you get this sorted Anthin. I am using the new water configurator with the "North Atlantic" preset. I had to tweak the settings a bit to get things to my liking but I love it so far. I did have to reload the shaders a couple times because I had apparently "over adjusted" the sliders. It says on the Striking Software site that one known issue is the ranges are not tuned. To get the results I wanted I had to use VERY MODEST slider movement. I had made some pretty drastic adjustments and lost all my reflections and wave action. I just reloaded the "North Atlantic" preset and started tweaking again using smaller adjustments. I hope this helps you a bit.

Known issues:

• Water modification ranges have not been tuned and may result in dramatic changes.

A heartfelt Hi to you Corpse Grinder.

Yeaaaaaaa!
    that was it!. OMG. I reduced sliders to zero. Water does not look great
    but from here I can tinker around and get them back to what I had before.
    What a relief. I came very close to girding my loins for the dreaded re-install.
    And a thanks to greg for his help.

With many thanks . Anthin.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthin View Post
    A heartfelt Hi to you Corpse Grinder.

Yeaaaaaaa!
    that was it!. OMG. I reduced sliders to zero. Water does not look great
    but from here I can tinker around and get them back to what I had before.
    What a relief. I came very close to girding my loins for the dreaded re-install.
    And a thanks to greg for his help.

With many thanks . Anthin.
    So glad you got it sorted Anthin! I'm glad I could be a bit of help. I have not really been active on these forums for quite some time. Back in the early 2000's I was really active in the CFS3 modding community, but since then I have been over at FSEconomy for the past several years and I am a Pilot Service Rep (forum admin) over there. You should stop by some time if you fancy some GA flying. A pleasure to meet you as well sir!

Happy Landings!

~Justin

A real pleasure to meet you Justin. As yet I have not been able to change greyish water textures
    but it maybe a start. My poor old heart can't hope with these problems cropping up recently.
    If you can think of a way I can improve water textures it would be great.

So far I have been unable to change the texture. If that is the case I will accept my current texture
    and continue on.
    Anything is prefable to a complite reinstallI . I am so glad to be a member here at the Outhouse.

Thank you.

Anthins blood pressure slowly dropping. LOL.

If your texture is grey, perhaps adjusting the saturation slider in FSWC might help. I believe this adjusts the over all texture color.

~Justin

Bad news Justin, I now have White water.! I tried to change water texture
    with fswc lite and now it has become a nightmare. I have no ideas anymore.
    I did try adjusting sliders but nothing happened.

Anthin.

If you run into problems, just reload the shader preset from FSWC Public Preview and try again.
    ~Justin

"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . ." — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Also...

Keep in mind that every time a slider is adjusted you must restart the sim to see it the adjustment take effect.
    ~Justin

"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . ." — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Have done that. I am now back to black water. I am going to to take a break till morning
    as I am in extreme pain. Sorry I have severe spinal problems. Thank you and I will try
    tomorrow.

Anthin.

I have a couple of questions. How do you un-install the new FSWC? I also just can't get the water button to go un-grey in Steves DX10 Fixer. Thats why I installed the new FSWC. I had the other version of FSWC and I set it to default and uninstalled it. Also I have a Shaders 3 mod in my control panel. when did that get installed?
    Thanks.
    Joe Watson
    Lake Placid, Florida

Anthin,

Please stay strong with this one, the end result is WORTH IT! Here is a pic of my water just off the coast of PJON. Keep in mind, I have a fairly decent system. I am running an AMD 8 core at 4.0 with 16Gb of RAM (FSX will only use 4Gb) with an Nvidia GTX760 2Gb video card. It has taken a lot of tweeking but I think my water looks fantastic. I am running DX10 exclusively and as far as textures I am running REX4 and Gizmo's 4096 water textures found here...

http://www.strikingsoftware.com/ccount/click.php?id=20

HOWEVER.......I did not install the complete Gizmo texture package. I install all of them except "OceanHeight20FieldLayer.dds" and "OceanHeight20FieldHigh"

In my opinion the new FSWC Public Preview is an absolute winner. I just think you are missing a little something here or there that is causing your issues. Can you give me a little insight on your rig specs?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014-11-9_9-28-19-950.jpg  
    ~Justin

Hi Justin.
    My rig is i7 overclocked to 4.4 gh, Gtx 670,1TB HD for my flight sim,
    water cooled.
    Getting pretty depressed with this. Cant find the shaders again.
    How do I access them. I don't understand the path. If you can explain to me
    the procedure I would be very thankfull.

Have just tried the new fswc and now have very bad looking
    blue water with weird markings. I guess I just have keep trying.
    Wondering if I should try the file you supplied.

Anthin.

Members who have read this thread: 0