I wonder...is there an AI Tankers Tool?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I wonder...is there an AI Tankers Tool?

I wonder...is there an AI Tankers Tool?

I really like the way that the aircarriers tool works. Flying along over water and with just a few clicks, you can put a full carrier battle group moving 10 miles directly ahead of you, or at a way point. I was flying around tonight and thought how cool it would be if you could do this exact same thing with a refueling tanker. Virtually same kind of behavior. Choose your tanker (AI KC-10, KC-135, KC-130, KC-767, etc.) and put it out there at whatever altitude on demand.

Is there a way to use AIcarriers this way? I havent tried. Or...is there another tool that will do this?

If NOT...some good programmer simhead needs to make this!! I'll beta test it for sure!

Eric

I've thought of making such a tool but never really thought there was much of a need for it. If there's no such solution already, I'll take the case!

Quote Originally Posted by ejoiner View Post

If NOT...some good programmer simhead needs to make this!! I'll beta test it for sure!
    if i remember correctly SSW wanted to bring this as a feature for their tornado...
    but i don't know if that is still up-to-date and how long we have to wait

Eric,
    AIcarriers will work for what you want, but you are limited to what the speed that the tanker will fly at.
    It will only fly at the speed of a boat/ship, which isn't to realistic.

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by orionll View Post
    I've thought of making such a tool but never really thought there was much of a need for it. If there's no such solution already, I'll take the case!
    I think it would be fabulously handy. Especially if it could actually pass gas. but I would be very happy just to be able to call a tanker on demand.

Quote Originally Posted by Butcherbird17 View Post
    Eric,
    AIcarriers will work for what you want, but you are limited to what the speed that the tanker will fly at.
    It will only fly at the speed of a boat/ship, which isn't to realistic.

Joe
    No...that wouldnt be too handy. I think a tanker would probably have to move at 300 kts or so.

I was thinking of just advising use of the In-Flight Refueling Gauge by Jivko Rusev for the actual refueling. I was just thinking of something that creates the selected aircraft maybe 5 or 10 miles ahead of the user at 10,000 ft MSL, 250 knots or something like that. Don't want to make it too complex. :P

Quote Originally Posted by orionll View Post
    I was thinking of just advising use of the In-Flight Refueling Gauge by Jivko Rusev for the actual refueling. I was just thinking of something that creates the selected aircraft maybe 5 or 10 miles ahead of the user at 10,000 ft MSL, 250 knots or something like that. Don't want to make it too complex. :P
    Agreed. However the ability to have different aircaft as tankers ought to be configurable just like Aicarriers. Perhaps the default speed also put in there and default altitude? I would think a KC-135 is refueling higher than 10K. Certainly faster than 250.

Payware solution, but TacPack does about as good of a job of it as anything you could imagine. Completely configurable, right down to aircraft type and pattern flown.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyRFR View Post
    Payware solution, but TacPack does about as good of a job of it as anything you could imagine. Completely configurable, right down to aircraft type and pattern flown.
    I dont on tacpack, but I think the aircraft has to be specially configured to accept it? Not every FSX military plane can use it can it?

Quote Originally Posted by ejoiner View Post
    I dont on tacpack, but I think the aircraft has to be specially configured to accept it? Not every FSX military plane can use it can it?
    For some aspects of TacPack such as weapons, yes, the plane has to be developed with that capability. However, other stuff, such as carriers, AI spawns (including tankers), SAM sites, etc, you can trigger from the default C172 if you wanted.

http://forums.vrsimulations.com/supp...cPack_Features Down the page, 3.4 provides info on AI spawning features.

Any fan of naval aviation should have vLSO, where you can spawn a recovery tanker. Most have probably seen/completed the FSX stock Carrier mission, also you can change out the B738 for the popular KC-135T_drogue model with a small edit in the mission .cfg. For the TP users, haven't seen it work yet but for non-TP models, looking at using TP to spawn the tanker, then use the IFR gauge for getting the gas, should work with well with other models that will probably never be "Tacpacked", need to test this. Nice thing about TP Mgr, one can add other AI tankers that came with some of the recent modern mil models, I can now use the Razbam KC-130 that came with the AV-8B on all my TP models, same with Milviz F-15E boom KC-135.

The last route is to use an AI flightplan program to make a basic tanker route, although they are going to fly from A to B at the aircraft.cfg set cruise speed.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Hi,
    Did you try to use AI Formation? It's a very nice tool to add AI airplano fly with (http://flyawaysimulation.com/downloa...ation-toys-v4/)
    The main pb is about having the probe to show up. I guess that the best way is to use AI Tanker with the probe animation coded the same way, as Tacpack ask for, for instance (using Com frequency)
    Regards
    Sylvain

I remember something like that being packaged with captain aims c130 don't know if it Worked in fsx but I remember you being able to call up a vc10 and refuled once you were close enough to it. May have to dig my copy out later and have a look.

Hooky

There was certainly something similar with the FS8/9 Lago Tornado and it worked pretty well. You were directed to the tanker who would be there waiting with lines ready. You could change the refuelling area (eg, how big or small the area on the drogue needed to be before the probe would take fuel). It was surprisingly tricky!! Surprised nothing similar made it to FSX (outside of TP which I don't have).

ATB
    DaveB

Eventhough it's payware, TP offers the option to get every possible tanker you can find and plant it into TP........I've been using it ever since.

Cheers,
    Hank

Do you have to have TP enabled models to call the tankers up Hank or does it work with non-TP models too?

ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Do you have to have TP enabled models to call the tankers up Hank or does it work with non-TP models too?

ATB
    DaveB
    Hi!

You can use any aircraft with any tanker (must be registered as such in the TP manager), but the "refueling" function of TP only works with TP-enabled models that support this. Otherwise you can call up a tanker via the TP menu in FSX, fly into position and use one of the A/A refueling gauges to top up. For instance, I refueled my IRIS Vulcan with an AI Victor tanker via TP or my Simshed Nimrod with a VC10, although both airplanes don't have anything to do with TP itself. Works great, but it is heary work to get into position ;-)

A quick solution is AI carriers, as mentioned. You have to write a new sim.cfg file for the tanker aircraft and register it is a "boat". You can put in a new speed, but you have to remember that all speeds for other vehicles than aircraft are expressed in statute miles per hour instead of kts. The most predominant drawback of AI carriers for refueling, though, is that the aircraft must be specially designed for it to show up properly - like the life guard helicopters for the carriers. Otherwise things like landing gear, engine covers etc will show up while the aircraft is moving at 270 kts - for propeller aircraft, the props wouldn't be moving. And AI carriers will only work over water, because otherwise it detects land underneeth it and as it handles the tanker as a "boat", it will stop it like a stranded ship.
    I personally think taht until we have a tool like "AItankers", TP is the way to go, especially since you can alter parameters like speed, altitude, flight pattern etc. in flight.

Seawing

Since this was initially about a freeware product, the other option is to use FS Recorder and record a tanker flight with the above mentioned KC-135 or T. Ruth's KC-10. Playback as AI and use the IFR gauge in the receiver aircraft to take on your fuel.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Hello,
    I'm surprised that no one use "Formation SetUp" which is a (freeware) tool very useful for refueling training. You can add, at any time, any airplane of your choice, defining speed, altitude and pattern...(cf screenshot of the configuration window below)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenShot189.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	14771

Regards,
    Sylvain

The advantage with TP is that you choose the altitude of the tanker, choose the sort of race track, either above a beacon, airport or waypoint etc. And it stays there untill YOU tell them to go RTB. With an active TACAN beacon to locate the tanker.
    You can activate their nav lights, even to lower the boom (not all AI has this feature, the TP KC-135 does).

Cheers,
    Hank

For anyone looking freeware that does not own TP, I think sparouty has the best option. Combine that with the free IFR gauge or just use the FSX keycommands to add fuel. Since none of the options actually allow you to connect and simulate real world refueling, it's basically formation flying. Tip: do not fly off the basket, use the entire tanker as your reference.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

I'm surprised that no one use "Formation SetUp" which is a (freeware) tool very useful for refueling training.
    I've used this and it works.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Quote Originally Posted by hae5904 View Post
    The advantage with TP is that you choose the altitude of the tanker, choose the sort of race track, either above a beacon, airport or waypoint etc. And it stays there untill YOU tell them to go RTB. With an active TACAN beacon to locate the tanker.
    You can activate their nav lights, even to lower the boom (not all AI has this feature, the TP KC-135 does).

Cheers,
    Hank
    I went ahead and purchased tacpack. For some planes, like Dino Catteneos excellent F14, F35 and T45C, its awesome. The AI Tanker thing is also cool and pretty much exactly what I was looking for. MADDENINGLY HARD trying to hook up with that KC-135!!! Tried for an hour solid in both the Virtavia A-4 and the Razbam EA6B. couldnt get any closer than the pic above. So, I switched to the F-14 and shot the bloody thing down!

Members who have read this thread: 0