Default Flight Planner vs aftermarket, opinions please!

Thread: Default Flight Planner vs aftermarket, opinions please!

Default Flight Planner vs aftermarket, opinions please!

As I've posted more than a few times, I've finally rebuilt my lost library and re-installed aircraft, scenery and the various utilities to make FSX look fantastic. My next quest is in flight planning. I've only ever used the default FSX planner, but I know there's some things that can be handled better. My question to the reading masses is what flight planning program do you use and why?

Finally, I've always wanted to do a crossing of the Atlantic and know when I've tried this in the past with the FSX default, it didn't fare well. It's because of this past experience, that I am hoping there's a more user friendly tool available to put together real world flight plans as well as giving me freedom to create my own.

Thanks,

Matt
    ....my other Stryker is a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye.....

Matt

I use PlanG which is free. I only fly VFR plans though.

You can get it here:

http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/

I use FSCommander (payware) but to be honest.. I don't like it. It was the closest thing I could find to replace FSNavigator (sadly, personal probs for the dev meant FSN didn't get updated for FSX) which is why I ended up with it. I have v8.6 (the latest versions are in the 9's) and there's no further update path to v9 without forking out so I won't be going further with FSC. I'm sure it's very capable and I can't quite put my finger on why I don't like it but I don't and that's that.

ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    I use PlanG which is free. I only fly VFR plans though.

You can get it here:

http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/
    Thanks Dimus. I plan to do much more IFR than I had before, but will keep an eye on this one too for VFR purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    I use FSCommander (payware) but to be honest.. I don't like it. It was the closest thing I could find to replace FSNavigator (sadly, personal probs for the dev meant FSN didn't get updated for FSX) which is why I ended up with it. I have v8.6 (the latest versions are in the 9's) and there's no further update path to v9 without forking out so I won't be going further with FSC. I'm sure it's very capable and I can't quite put my finger on why I don't like it but I don't and that's that.

ATB
    DaveB
    Dave, I had seen PFPX and totally overlooked FS Commander and ironically, both in the Aerosoft webstore. I guess what I fear is an add on that's a bit too complex and it becomes another piece sitting there collecting dust. Perhaps some others that own FS Commander may be able to elaborate a bit more, pros and cons. Thanks for your input.

Matt
    ....my other Stryker is a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye.....

Matt

Although it is quoted as VFR planning software, I believe that PlanG can at least do what the FSX flight planner does in a more user friendly way. The button to select IFR plan is there and all airway/VOR etc data is also there. I does not hurt to try and see if it suits your needs as I understand you do not require something complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post

ATB
    DaveB
    Dave, actually the developer for FSNav did eventually surface again with FSTramp. Identical to FSNav in every way "except" the flight planner option. The Drag and drop ability we enjoyed with FSNav for doing quick flight plans is scheduled to be added to FSTramp in March of 2015 (as per an e-mail conversation with the developer last week). I know that's no help currently, but FSTramp works in FSX and P3D_V2. Take a look here. . .www.fstramp.com/

That's great news I consider FSNav the best FS addon I've ever bought and if this comes close.. it'll hit the button

ATB
    DaveB

Blog Entries
    I'm using AivlaSoft EFB and am pleased with the overall performance and ease of use. A free 30 day trial with full functionality is available. You have options to input real world flight plans including SID, STAR and all real world data. VAT Route and Route Finder are also integrated with the ability to save flight plans into all of the most current aircraft.

Real world moving map with calcs for TOC and TOD make it excellent for aircraft with or without VNAV. Real time data input in graph form to monitor rate of descent makes it easy to stay spot on GS from altitude.

Also, it can be run through a network. I've got it running on the number two computer, networked to the main box. The live screen for the EFB runs on it's own monitor. This works great for long flights or flights with many waypoints inserted. You can monitor your alt and pos full time without every leaving the flight deck views. Trick.

Not bad and worth the investment over the long term for me. IMHO
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Members who have read this thread: 1