salt_air taking the Puss Moth back home ... "Down Under"
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: salt_air taking the Puss Moth back home ... "Down Under"

Icon22 salt_air taking the Puss Moth back home ... "Down Under"

I will be using a couple of sources that I ran across during the research I did on Jimmy and his plane .... direct quotes as well as borrowed staments as info on the pilot will be sourced from the South Australian Aviation Museum (SAAM) and Ed Coates mostly for info regarding the plane.

First Day:

21 yr old Charles James "Jimmy" Melrose was the last to leave from Mildenhall AB on October 24, 1934 at 0645.

He was entered in what the SAAM referred to as the handicap section flying number 16 ... the silver with black trim de Havilland DH 80A Puss Moth he had named "My Hildegarde" after his mother.

Jimmy had recently arrived at Croydon (0700 on 28 September) after having flown the plane from his home in Adelaide in a mere 8 days and 9 hours .... now for the return home .... back "Down Under".

Jimmy flew to Rome (via Marseille) where he spent the first night.

If real life will allow I will try to do the same 2 legs today with the first one beginning shortly ....

First Leg:

In the DH 80A ... Starting the race from Mildenhall AB (EGUN) flying to Marseille (LFML)
    salt_air

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by robert41 View Post
    Best of luck Austin.

Thanks buddy!
    salt_air

Icon22 Mildenhall - Marseille

Landed .... no worries ... at Marseille ... whew!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FlightLog_13-47-16.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	14324

FlightLog_13-47-16.TXT

Flight Time: 05:14:00
    Routine Ground Time: 0:45:00
    Special Ground Time: 0:00:00
    Penalty Time: 0:00:00

Mostly uneventful except for the lightning, thunder and rain that began just as I was clearing the shoulder of the Alps ... half an hour or so before the Mediterranean finally came into view.

3 or 4 breaks in was was absolute soup .... near zero visibility ... and surprising headwinds as high as 20kts +.

That is pretty stiff considering the Puss Moth's CA is only 3000' .... and so much for scenery.

Played it safe (terrain) and took the plane to 7000' a couple of times, but suffered a little in GS.

Didn't remember the wind drift factor being as high during testing and practice .... something to account for in planning.

Name:	FS9 2014-11-02 12-33-40-72.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	10.3 KB 
ID:	14356

If you squint you may see some of Paris .... I think?

Name:	FS9 2014-11-02 12-32-53-00.jpg 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	14357

Long flight ... like sitting in a closet.
    Last edited by salt_air; November 2nd, 2014 at 14:18. Reason: add pics
    salt_air

Nice job Austin!

Average GS 108.6 kts. Did you happen look down and see cars on the Autobahn passing you?

Fred

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by Dil52 View Post
    Nice job Austin!

Average GS 108.6 kts. Did you happen look down and see cars on the Autobahn passing you?

Fred

Couldn't see anything for a lot of the trip .... not even enough to use the driftmeter.

Everytime the clouds broke I had to make some pretty heavy adjustments to heading .... fun, fun, fun.

Thanks!
    salt_air

Icon22 Marseille - Rome

Planned originally to run this flight in succession with yesterdays jaunt, but real life smacked that down ... at least I was at an airport.

A few adjustments needed inside the cockpit.

Enough of the compass and watch and a driftmeter I can't use in the soup.

Had to stroll down to the local True_Value Aviation Warehouse and pick up a sextant and an ADF like the one I saw in a Vega before I left London.

Fished the E6B I brought along out of the bottom of my duffel bag too.

Right! ... Let's see how this goes.

Taking off from Marseille (LFML) and plotting a course for Rome (LIRU) to camp for the night.

Landed at nearly 1300 ... I'll take off 1330 ... or so.
    salt_air

Too bad about the weather. Flying this event with only a compass and watch would be quite an achievement.

Icon22

Down safe at Urbe (LIRU) .... not the best landing, but all in one piece.

Flight Time: 02:57:30

Name:	FlightLog_19-48-37.JPG 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	14417

FlightLog_19-48-37.TXT

Name:	FS9 2014-11-03 18-31-56-47.jpg 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	14419

At 3000' even the hills are in the way .... had to go around Corsica quite a bit to the North, but better to be safe.

Visibility drops just when you need it so I went around some other potential terrain trouble .... not exactly a straight flight path at all.

The smaller islands could hurt you too if you weren't paying attention.

Rome for the night ....
    salt_air

Icon22

Too bad about the weather. Flying this event with only a compass and watch would be quite an achievement.
    So far Robert that's been about it ... the Vega's ADF tuner I shoehorned in here is one of the better ones because of the wide range of frequencies, but that Bearing to Station gauge can be rendered useless with a sufficient crab angle to compensate for winds.

The plane needs to be pretty much aimed right at the signal to get any indication .... much past 10 degrees give or take either way and the needle just sits pegged to one side or the other.

Great moral boost to have the needle jump to life when the tuned station's signal range has been reached and you have movement of the needle ... especially if it centers or even close.

Visibility will be a key factor for me the rest of the way .... sextant across the larger barren stretches coming up ... may have to hug the coastline even if it's a bit off route.
    salt_air

Icon22 Rome - Athens

Overcast with some thunder in the distance. ..

After spending the night in Rome Jimmy took off the next day at 0900 headed to Athens via Janina.

Not exactly sure where Janina is (was) .... oh well ... this may need to be coastal run anyway due to visibility issues.

Taking off from Urbe (LIRU) headed to Tatoi AB (LGTT)
    salt_air

Icon22

Right! ....

A little side note here ... to self ... reminders welcomed.

Next time I'm in one of the many True_Value Aviation Warehouses ... worldwide ... I should pick up a large spray bottle of "Clouds Away".

Thanks!
    salt_air

"Clouds Away"

Well, that sounds like a miraculous product! If I could find space to wedge a case of it in here, I would!

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyRFR View Post
    "Clouds Away"

Well, that sounds like a miraculous product! If I could find space to wedge a case of it in here, I would!

We should have hired a crop duster to run ahead of us with a couple of tanks full, huh?
    salt_air

Icon22

Safe and sound at Tatoi AB here in Athens.

Several breaks (finally) in the cloud cover .... nice tailwinds all the way!

Name:	FlightLog_20-36-36.JPG 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	14618

FlightLog_20-36-36.TXT

Flight Time: 05:02:39

Name:	FS9 2014-11-06 20-36-07-75.jpg 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	14620
    salt_air

Icon22 Athens - Aleppo

Right ... so the account of Jimmy's trek that I decided to use as a guide for planning flights ...

Name:	SAAM-Profiles-JIMMY-MELROSE.pdf 
Views:	1 
Size:	769.4 KB 
ID:	14693

... says he spent the first night in Rome ... then took off the next day for Athens via Janina ... wherever that is ... Albania?? ... where he landed for fuel.

Hmmm ... just then fueling from Mildenhall? ... Oh boy .... did I pick the wrong tank size?, oh well.

Here's the good part ... "He left the next morning, 22nd October at 4:00am and arrived in Baghdad by early afternoon." ... What?

Over a thousand nautical miles in a dead straight line ... Gotta love it.

With the tanks I have I'll try to make Aleppo .... hope for some of those good tailwinds or I'll have to lean back a bit on the throttles.

It will be another coastal jaunt unless the visibility is not only good, but stable enough to trust through the mountains ... pffftt, yeah, like that's gunna happen.

Taking off shortly.
    salt_air

Icon22

Down safe at Aleppo, but with some error ... overspeed for 0.00 secs?? ... right then.

Name:	FlightLog_13-41-45.JPG 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	14704

FlightLog_13-41-45.TXT

Coastal route worked fine, but very nerve racking when approaching the west coast of Syria .... looking for the foot of a river between mountains that I intended to follow further inland.

Good visibility after a sudden drop while approaching the coastline .... finding the airport would have been quite dicey otherwise.

Name:	FS9 2014-11-08 12-37-28-98.jpg 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	14706

Terrain was a little intimidating at 3000', but even enough below that with no surprise outcroppings.

Name:	FS9 2014-11-08 13-25-44-03.jpg 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	14707

The NDB at the airport only has a 22NM range was 60 NM's or better away ... smoke signals would have been better ... at least during the day.

Name:	FS9 2014-11-08 13-39-11-96.jpg 
Size:	113.0 KB 
ID:	14708

Flight Time: 05:35:17
    Routine Ground Time: 0:459:00

Some lunch, some fuel and a trip to the gunny, then back in the saddle to Baghdad.

=== Additional Note ===

Flight is under review at 119 Piccadilly .... may have to be reflown due to an unexplained error in the flight log concerning overspeed.

Overspeed in a Puss Moth .... just had to see that written down somewhere .... wonders never cease.
    Last edited by salt_air; November 8th, 2014 at 12:22. Reason: new info
    salt_air

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by salt_air View Post
    Some lunch, some fuel and a trip to the gunny, then back in the saddle to Baghdad.

Actually going to park it for a bit ... this next leg sets up perfect for a sextant assisted attempt at a direct flight.

Compass stopwatch and e6b with checks and necessary jogs back to course as called for by timed sextant readings.

A few geographical land marks ... rivers and lakes .... also an airport or two right along the path.

So i have some numbers to run and notes to take down before takeoff.

Oh yeah and this ADF out of the Vega ... think I'll try to sell it on the street here .... saw a pile of wreckage just shy of the airport while I was on approach ... could be a Douglas of some description ... fingers crossed.

Besides the narrow forward "vision" with the Vega's ADF ... you can't track out from a station at all ... not a good thing.
    salt_air

Icon22 Aleppo - Baghdad

First off I'll tip my hat to the fine gents at 119 for all the work thus far on my effort(s) in the Puss Moth noted in both the NOTAMs and the Piccadilly threads.

This to save some room in those respective threads ... Thanks!

Now off to Baghdad (Rasheed) ...

A pilot could just take off and head 110 degrees ... pay attention to his environment, key in on a few landmarks along the way and probably wind up somewhere in Baghdad, but for the fun of it, let's see how straight a line we can draw in the duenna's jpg flight log ... actually, it will be a very subtle arc as the Great Cirlce was taken into consideration on the fixes for the sextant shots enroute.

Using the NDB at Deir-Zzor (DRZ 295.0) will also bend the path a bit about midway ... plan to overfly.

Bukoo VFR landmarks both sides and a flyover at Al Taji (OR0R)

Have to toss in a couple of timed star shots at the first and second hour marks after takeoff.

A huge lake to bisect about 75NM from Rasheed .... then cross the river and turn to runway heading 143 for long final through town.

Piece of cake.

Taking off shortly.
    salt_air

Quote Originally Posted by salt_air View Post
    First off I'll tip my hat to the fine gents at 119 for all the work thus far on my effort(s) in the Puss Moth noted in both the NOTAMs and the Piccadilly threads.

This to save some room in those respective threads ... Thanks!

Now off to Baghdad (Rasheed) ...

A pilot could just take off and head 110 degrees ... pay attention to his environment, key in on a few landmarks along the way and probably wind up somewhere in Baghdad, but for the fun of it, let's see how straight a line we can draw in the duenna's jpg flight log ... actually, it will be a very subtle arc as the Great Cirlce was taken into consideration on the fixes for the sextant shots enroute.

Using the NDB at Deir-Zzor (DRZ 295.0) will also bend the path a bit about midway ... plan to overfly.

Bukoo VFR landmarks both sides and a flyover at Al Taji (OR0R)

Have to toss in a couple of timed star shots at the first and second hour marks after takeoff.

A huge lake to bisect about 75NM from Rasheed .... then cross the river and turn to runway heading 143 for long final through town.

Piece of cake.

Taking off shortly.
    Good luck, and you're in luck today! Don' forget to look up and behind you this morning. You'll be flying during, a somewhat rare occasion, when the sun and moon are both visible for a couple hours after sun rise.

Note that the phases of the moon are not exactly in sync, (with the real world) and rarely are; however the times it rises and sets is always accurate in all versions of MSFS.

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by Dil52 View Post
    Good luck, and you're in luck today! Don' forget to look up and behind you this morning. You'll be flying during, a somewhat rare occasion, when the sun and moon are both visible for a couple hours after sun rise.

Note that the phases of the moon are not exactly in sync, (with the real world) and rarely are; however the times it rises and sets is always accurate in all versions of MSFS.

Thanks Fred! .... missed the post until after the flight, but it was later in the morning when I took off anyway.

BTW: Had no trouble at the Navy site getting info ... back same as usual ... all good.

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/celnavtable.php
    salt_air

Icon22 Baghdad Baby!!

Down safe at the First Compulsory Control Stop.

Name:	FlightLog_12-17-55.JPG 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	14790

FlightLog_12-17-55.TXT

Flight Time: 03:15:10

Across a lot of nothingness with little to do or see .... glad to have all the toys to pass the time.

Not only a tailwind for the whole flight, but straight up the ol' whazoo .... little or no correction needed.

Stopped even looking at it after the second sextant shot and wound up very close to the river reference when I got to town .... actually a shorter final than was planned.

Textbook star shots .... just a bit off on the second one (5NM), but that was due to being late on the last shot.

Clear skies the whole trip .... luck? .... I'd say so!

Name:	FS9 2014-11-09 10-05-18-24.jpg 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	14795

Name:	FS9 2014-11-09 11-03-57-43.jpg 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	14796
    salt_air

Welcome to Baghdad Austin.
    Iam relieved that I was not the only one having problems with the USNO site.

Icon22

Welcome to Baghdad Austin.
    Iam relieved that I was not the only one having problems with the USNO site.
    Thanks bud!

Yes and I see on the next jaunt .... (Bushire - OIBB) ... I'll need to access the site again.

At least until the NDB at Khark Island.
    salt_air

Icon22 Baghdad - Bushehr

Clear at the Checkpoint Station ... ready to go.

After some sleep, Jimmy headed out around 0200 for Karachi via Bushehr and Jask.

A tad dark for my taste in aerial touring, but I'll continue follow as close as I can to his 1934 flight.

Two low pressure systems ... one behind Baghdad and one ahead .

The usual nemesis' will always be wind and visibility ... compass, watch, and sextant close at hand, but planning to follow the river out and down a good bit east of Basrah and out of the delta there north and east of Kuwait .... then just wait for the Khark Island NDB to jiggle the gauge.

Back up would be the NDB's at Ahwaz and Aghajari .... way too close to terrain in the dark, nerve pills at the ready .... sunrise, if clear will come after any trouble has been negotiated ... welcomed I'm sure none the less.
    salt_air

Members who have read this thread: 0