salt_air taking the Puss Moth back home ... "Down Under" - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: salt_air taking the Puss Moth back home ... "Down Under"

Icon22 Batavia - Rambang

The flight path turns easterly ... hope the winds continue to favor.

Taking off from Batavia headed to Rambang
    salt_air

Icon22

Safe landing at Rambang .... water route plenty of high terrain, but none in the way.

Flight Time: 04:58:58
    Routine Ground Time: 0:45:00
    Special Ground Time: 0:00:00
    Penalty Time: 0:00:00

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FS9 2014-11-19 20-27-40-26.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	15420

Name:	FlightLog_20-45-02.JPG 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	15421

FlightLog_20-45-02.TXT
    salt_air

Nice job Austin!
    I hope you can keep that wind on your six!

Quote Originally Posted by salt_air View Post
    Safe landing at Rambang .... water route plenty of high terrain, but none in the way.
    Austin, if you'd gone DIRECT from Singapore to Rambang there is NO terrain - just water, water everywhere... those short hops can always find you terrain to bump into

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by srgalahad View Post
    Austin, if you'd gone DIRECT from Singapore to Rambang there is NO terrain - just water, water everywhere... those short hops can always find you terrain to bump into

Yes indeed Rob .... and Granite is unforgiving.
    salt_air

Icon22 Rambang - Kupang

Quote Originally Posted by Dil52 View Post
    Nice job Austin!
    I hope you can keep that wind on your six!

Thanks mate!

Now out of here to Kupang for dinner and a nap.

Hmmm "He then left Singapore at 1:00am on 27th October to Rambang via Batavia where he again landed in the early afternoon before departing at midnight to Koepang then on to Darwin where he landed at dusk on 28th October to a very relieved welcome."

I don't really need to leave that time of day becuase I have no intent to make Darwin until tomorrow.

But, reckon I'll keep it real and true to the account ... so midnight it will be ....

It's clear right now .... should be able to make out terrain and coastlines .... and the sky is full of stars ... should be good.
    salt_air

Icon22

If not on this endeavor, then certainly during what will need to be Gargantuan legs in the Vega's endeavor .... I'd like to figure out a way .... meter or measure ... somehow ... a period style NDB signal strength meter's readings into some discernible scale of distance.

A DME if you will .... as long as the increments aren't too coarse, it may be useful.

An E6B cypher of GS cranked into the mix should round things out.

Oh well .... justa thought .... may slide one in here after the Darwin leg.
    salt_air

If not on this endeavor, then certainly during what will need to be Gargantuan legs in the Vega's endeavor .... I'd like to figure out a way .... meter or measure ... somehow ... a period style NDB's signal strength meter's readings into some discernible scale of distance.

A DME if you will .... as long as the increments aren't too coarse, it may be useful.

I believe I know what you're thinking about ..the RR radio equipment perhaps? No reason why the signal strength meter shouldn't work the same with NDBs, which use the same LFR AM signals. I used it for years with my ham radios. The technology was used by aviators dating back to 1929!

Icon22

Down safe at Kupang

Clear skies, good winds, and plenty dark.

Flight Time: 03:59:21

Name:	FS9 2014-11-20 18-24-07-98.jpg 
Size:	10.8 KB 
ID:	15496

Name:	FS9 2014-11-20 18-11-19-65.jpg 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	15497

Name:	FlightLog_21-05-23.JPG 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	15498

FlightLog_21-05-23.TXT
    salt_air

If not on this endeavor, then certainly during what will need to be Gargantuan legs in the Vega's endeavor .... I'd like to figure out a way .... meter or measure ... somehow ... a period style NDB signal strength meter's readings into some discernible scale of distance.

I have figured out rough distance's to a ndb, with the signal meter that I am using. Came with the RDF gauge I got over at DC3 Airways.
    When first picking up a ndb, the needle jumps to about the first notch. When it gets to a bit under the third or half notch, I am about 10nm away. Within site if there is something to see. At destination, when the needle gets to the second notch, I will start down. Usually a bit early, but better than overshooting the target.

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by robert41 View Post
    I have figured out rough distance's to a ndb, with the signal meter that I am using. Came with the RDF gauge I got over at DC3 Airways.
    When first picking up a ndb, the needle jumps to about the first notch. When it gets to a bit under the third or half notch, I am about 10nm away. Within site if there is something to see. At destination, when the needle gets to the second notch, I will start down. Usually a bit early, but better than overshooting the target.

Good info Robert .... I'll do all my testing in the Vega run.

Time is short ... should be under way (equipped) by this Monday ... ready for some L-O-N-G legs back down here.

Hope I can gauge or scale somewhat during the initial reception and before I can actually see the station.

Made a slight ... adjustment to the Vega's ADF receiver .... will discuss later.

Cheers,
    salt_air

Icon22 Kupang - Darwin

Off to Darwin .... the Puss Moth will then be back on home turf.

Early AM departure .... clear, stars for a while then some good ol' DR and some luck .... better than Jimmy had I hope.

Will have to separate my flights from now on from the nonsense that plagued Jimmy the rest of the way in to Melbourne ... routing should be close to the same unless I can see a break due to better winds .... we'll see.

From the SAAM website:

"His last sector over the Timor Sea was close-run as he missed his Australian landfall by some 75
    miles to the south west, turned south west instead of north east and ended up 175 miles from
    Darwin before he realised his mistake and followed the cost up to Darwin, where he landed with
    empty tanks four hours overdue. His onward flights from Darwin to Melbourne were fraught with
    drama. He left in the early hours of Monday morning 29th October to Newcastle Waters but was
    delayed there due to strong headwinds before departing again at midnight, landing, lost, at a
    farmhouse where he asked for directions to Cloncurry. He was soon back on track, spent two hours
    in Cloncurry but had to land again to ask directions to Charleville where he finally landed to a huge
    welcome at 4:00pm. He left Charleville the next day, 31st October, at 1:30am to Narromine but got
    off course again (due to what was later found to be an out of alignment compass) and landed at a
    farmhouse at Forbes to arrange fuel at Cootamundra instead. That was his last stop before finally
    flying between the race terminus pylons at Flemington at 9:00am then landing at nearby Laverton."

I'd have to guess the lad was getting fatigued by this point .... a near 10K NM race around Australia .... then another 10K up to London .... now this far along in yet another 10 K coming back ... wow.

Taking off shortly ...
    salt_air

Icon22 Darwin .... we are back Down Under!

Down safe at the Fourth Compulsory Control Stop (YPDN)

Water water everywhere .... whew!

Name:	FS9 2014-11-21 20-40-09-52.jpg 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	15568

Under corrected for a shot of some winds that snuck in on me out of the south ... hung out for a bit too.

No big probs with the 75NM NDB at Darwin and clear skies the whole way.

Flight Time: 03:50:00

Name:	FlightLog_21-36-09.JPG 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	15566

FlightLog_21-36-09.TXT
    salt_air

Welcome to Australia mate!
    Roman

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by spokes2112 View Post
    Welcome to Australia mate!
    Thanks Roman!

Ahh the smell of Kangaroo dung .... yeeess
    salt_air

Icon22 Darwin - Tennant Creek

Tennant Creek this morning then Cloncurry after some lunch.

Uh ... "He left in the early hours of Monday morning 29th October to Newcastle Waters but was delayed there due to strong headwinds before departing again at midnight, landing, lost, at a farmhouse where he asked for directions to Cloncurry." .... NOT!

First things first .... taking off shortly for Tennant Creek.
    salt_air

Icon22

Whoa .... way off!

Down safe at Tennat Creek, but misnavigated (add to dictionary) way off to the north ... again.

Flight path looks like Zoro was here.

Miserable flight .... dark then one mile visibility all the way here.

No landmarks, nothing to see just the endless Leopard skin rug that scrolls under the plane for hours.

No sextant (clouds) ... put the driftmeter away wrong when I last used it ... have to reset it's window priority ... obviously not that great with the E6B and then if this isn't enough whining (BTW it is) I had the ADF receiver set to the wrong NDB.

After finding the mistake I had to turn back 40 degrees to the south.

Yet another close call to a missed airport and a stop for directions ... starting to feel like Jimmy just a bit.

Right! .... water in the face and over to Starbucks for a large somethin' or other, then back up and over to Cloncurry.

Whew!

Flight Time: 04:47:33
    Routine Ground Time: 00:45:00

Name:	FS9 2014-11-22 13-53-03-63.jpg 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	15600

Name:	FlightLog_14-05-53.JPG 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	15601

FlightLog_14-05-53.TXT
    salt_air

Icon22

Cloncurry .... after a restart and one of my favorite beverages ... to go.

As I walk away shaking my head, I hear a voice just beyond the 1 NM visibility .... hands cupped to his mouth and hollering loudly .... "Rookieee!!!" ....

That's great .... no autograph for you.
    salt_air

Icon22

Cloncurry it is .... all safe and sound.

Visibility stunk for the first 2 hours or so ... then cleared off nicely.

A better job of navigating on this one .... made easy by straight on tailwinds most of the way keeping correction angles slight.

Nice fat 75NM NDB at the airport was like icing on the cake.

Name:	FS9 2014-11-22 17-54-03-11.jpg 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	15611

Flight Time: 03:06:18

Was going to Charleville today, but think I'll chill out for a bit and just get up early tomorrow and hopefully finish.

Name:	FlightLog_18-01-36.JPG 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	15612

FlightLog_18-01-36.TXT
    salt_air

Icon22 Cloncurry - Charleville

Charleville, how 'bout it?
    salt_air

Nice fat 75NM NDB at the airport was like icing on the cake.
    Yummm, Cake!

Best of luck to you for the rest of the run.
    Roman

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by spokes2112 View Post
    Yummm, Cake!

Best of luck to you for the rest of the run.

Thanks!

salt_air

Icon22

Headwinds .... not working out at all in the Puss Moth ... will have to find some long range weather reports.

At least 30 minutes added to this trip.

salt_air

Icon22 Charleville!!

Safe and sound ... finally .... at the Fifth Compulsory Control Stop (YBCV)

Took enough reserve fuel for over an hour just in case and used right much of it fighting the winds.

Thank goodness once again for the 75 NM NDBs.

Struggle would be the word for this one.

Wanted to finish today, but anymore flights will have to be reviewed and math run against weather findings.

What should have been a little more than four hours turned out ...

Flight Time: 04:37:27

Name:	FS9 2014-11-23 11-32-50-27.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	15661

Name:	FS9 2014-11-23 12-24-40-91.jpg 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	15662

Name:	FlightLog_12-27-16.JPG 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	15665

FlightLog_12-27-16.TXT
    salt_air

Icon22 Charleville - Narromine

Winds not favorable, but should improve.

Won't see the tailwinds I have enjoyed for the vast majority of this trek from Mildenhall.

Oh well ... bitter with the sweet .... get it and grin.

Taking off for Narromine

"He left Charleville the next day, 31st October, at 1:30am to Narromine but got off course again (due to what was later found to be an out of alignment compass) and landed at a farmhouse at Forbes to arrange fuel at Cootamundra instead."

Not today ....
    salt_air

Members who have read this thread: 0